Still no Decision on SFAB Chinook Proposal?

Maybe our SFAB reps are waking up now and will finally throw the towel!? The system is not broken as someone said, it works actually great for one side. The system is rigged and no one from the rec sector should participate anymore. Only when we walk away in disgust and protest DFO won't be able to post such disgraceful notices with the acknowledgement of having consulted all parties. Our SFAB reps have invested countless hours for NOTHING other than playing a rigged game. Shameful and a waste of so much good willed effort. Stop this waste, save it for protest to change the game to make at least somewhat fair!

Looks like we can try for Tyee after September 1st, but not before.

And by that I mean in the Tyee Pool, hardly a well-known holding spot for Fraser River Chinook.

WTF??

Take care.

Super disappointing. I actually believed that common sense would prevail and we would be allowed hatchery marked fish. It just doesn't make any sense.
Gguaranteed the FF's are happy to have the focus off of them. The lack of Chinook problem starts there.

Is the max 80cm for wild only? Hatchery are okay over 80cm? I tried to find that information on the website but they make no reference to hatchery market fish.

Is the max 80cm for wild only? Hatchery are okay over 80cm? I tried to find that information on the website but they make no reference to hatchery market fish.
8ocm period. No effort to acknowledge Hatchery fish as harvestable with little to no affect on wild.

DFO for the most part has no interest in developing a MSF that would include mass clipping Without mass clipping it will end up a complete failure like the last 20 years of MSF regulation that is supposed to make us believe they are fixing the upper Fraser ( Thompson) Coho situation.

Last edited:
I say July 1 2020 protest. Block departure bay off. Block Swartz bay. Let’s get organized let’s be heard! We want answers on who is making decisions because it is not based on science. Not an hour protest. Stay till we are heard!

Trudeau and his cronies need to answer why this is being done. Absolute bs. There has to be a real reporter that will investigate. We need a Raif Maer!

Looks like "no fishing for Chinook" out or near the South Arm

"Fishery Management measures to support the recovery of Southern Resident Killer Whales will be announced in a separate fishery notice.

Portions of Southern Strait of Georgia, Howe Sound and Burrard Inlet – Subareas 28-7 to 28-9; that portion of Subarea 28-2 that lies southerly of a line drawn due east
from Halkett Point on Gambier Island (49 26.735’N, 123 19.302’W) to a point (49 26.550’N, 123 14.317’W) on the mainland corresponding with the southeast point of the
Lions Bay RCA;

and those portions of 29-3 to 29-5 that lie east of a line from Gower Point (49 23.021’N, 123 32.166’ W) near Gibsons to Shah Point on the southern tip
of Valdes Island (49 01.695’N, 123 35.721’W)

- Immediately to 23:59 hours August 31: No fishing for Chinook;
- 00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31: 2 Chinook per day.

Yup in stead of patrolling the area and having to pay for officers... Just close the fricken area down, easier to police. I guess they want every fisherpersons on the mainland to fish the Cap area and destroy it now , ridiculous

I like how they wait until everyone buys their new licences in april and then shuts the place down. Waits 3 month to decide what the regs will be. Now they make new area boundary and of course still allow native gill nets in the Fraser.

I would be for it, if the stocks were down which they are not, also if it was completely shut down. What good is it to shut it down when they have to swim through 1000 gillnets.

Im so tired of this crap. Had enough.

So do the virus factories (FF's) shut down too? Or is a seal cull (down to 160,000 or so in the southern strait ) going to happen? You know......just to save the stocks.

I wonder how many salmon are affected by the virus? No information coming from any sources even after they found it in the rivers and lakes now.

Perhaps a new group needs to be formed that can do something. You know private citizens can "charge" people with crimes. While FN's can fish legally, I don't think they can wipe out a species.

I have heard of a guy, who knows a guy;), whose relative gets 2 to 4 thousand sockeye and springs every year for a ???? I don't know what to call it without being tagged racist.

Funny how the government has created groups that if anyone says anything they are called racists even if all they are talking about is fishers. Or a ethnc celebration.

I have FN blood, but would be called a racist, sad that the government created that.

I like the idea of drones, video is strong evidence and can be anonymous, they are cheap now and can stream, even see at night.

I have seen many "specialty groups" hijacked by others that change the argument, people that got a message out that never changed was Rafe Mair and Alexandra Morton.

There needs to be a group that can coordinate a message, not just for Rec fishing but the whole shebang, global warming, nothing we do can alter that on a global scale quickly but eliminate FF's and the virus, a humane seal cull, maybe even create a small cottage industry for seal goods internationally in Asia, agreement and enforcement with FN's to cut the commercial part of their harvest, 5 g's a month for the year? The feds just did something like that for the covid crisis.

Don't demand what can't be achieved NOW, both FF's closing and a seal cull would have immediate effects, the Orca's get saved or have more food to eat, stocks get less pressure, get the virus out of the the system, these are things that can be achieved NOW and have an effect NOW.

Global warming isn't the only thing that affecting BC salmon nor is it affecting other western coast lines to the extent being claimed here in BC.

Get a lobby together, collect information about over harvesting in the rivers/lakes, virus spread in the system, a count of pinnipeds especially in estuaries, track who gets "contributions" and how much from "specialty groups", sort of like the last BC Vet that was on the payroll of the FF's. Much of this information is out there, it just needs to be correlated.

Rec fishers don't need to be grouped with save the whales, but our message could have a similar outcome but if we give up OUR voice to another group then we ...well just gave up. Money talks! Buy ad's. If there are CEO's that are concerned fishers a little word here or there about advertising can have an effect.
A rally such as a small flotilla in the harbor can get attention without seeming that we are selfish, hey one salmon? I am hungry too.:cool:

For me I'm not a big salmon eater. But I do have an economic standpoint. My business is all fishing related 90 percent of it. The part that doesnt settle with me is this.

We pay tax.

We pay for our licences for recreation

We pay for 10 chinook a year which is completely fair.

This is our land too not just the natives.

Period end of story

Looks like we can try for Tyee after September 1st, but not before.

And by that I mean in the Tyee Pool, hardly a well-known holding spot for Fraser River Chinook.

WTF??

Take care.

Apr. 1 to Jul. 14, Chinook non-retention

o NEW: July 15 to Aug 31, 1 Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm (except Area 12: July 15 to Aug. 16, 1 Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm ; Aug. 17-Aug. 31 – 1 Chinook per day)

o Sept. 1 to Dec. 31, 2 Chinook per day

Terminal Chinook opportunities will be considered near major hatcheries (e.g. Campbell River special management zone –Aug 1-Sep 15)

January 1 – March 31: 2 Chinook per day.

Back