Steelhead Fishing - are great lakes fish comparable to ocean run fish?

Hey guys,

Ive been on an editing tear lately as i try to pump out as much content from this past fall as i can. This clip was shot over the past couple months as i chased steelhead. I put a bunch of time in this fall and was able to shake hands with a few great fall run fish on the swing. It been a while since i had the time to actually chase the fall run so that was great to be able to do!

Am i the only one that looses that many fish or??

Thanks for watching,

Dan

Hey guys,

Ive been on an editing tear lately as i try to pump out as much content from this past fall as i can. This clip was shot over the past couple months as i chased steelhead. I put a bunch of time in this fall and was able to shake hands with a few great fall run fish on the swing. It been a while since i had the time to actually chase the fall run so that was great to be able to do!

Am i the only one that looses that many fish or??

Thanks for watching,

Dan
Great video. Looks like your Ontario systems are doing better then the west coast these days.
IMO I think your a little have on the fish on initial hook up just my thoughts tho.

Pissing down raining on the west coast most river are blown out. Waiting patiently

I fished a Lake Ontario trib one day in 2017 my brother and I landed 15+ sh all about 8-12#. My brother also landed a 29# coho this past season those lakes are fish factory’s.

I fished a Lake Ontario trib one day in 2017 my brother and I landed 15+ sh all about 8-12#. My brother also landed a 29# coho this past season those lakes are fish factory’s.
So many fish cause there’s no predators lol don’t see too many seals or orcas in the Great Lakes.

It is very much exactly that and that’s why the fishing is so good except for the native Atlantic Salmon.

I used to fish Lake Ontario 4 days a week July and August from 1984 -1991. The Great Lakes fishery was great when I fished it, always lots of action .I can tell from experience that salmon fishing on the Great Lakes was “ easy” compared to here. Normally a 5 minute run to my preferred location , no tides, no kelp, no logs, no current , no salt to mess up yet ****, no corrosion. Main concern was weather, storms close in extremely fast and you had to get off the water fast! But a salmon from the ocean is WAY stronger than a fresh water salmon, no comparison in the strength plus I would never eat a Salmon from the Great Lakes , tastes like crap and back then they were polluted . Lots of species , Chinook, Coho, Atlantic, huge Rainbow Trout, lake Trout , in one day you could get one of every species on the same spoon ( I still use some of those spoons here)with no flasher 35’ down on the cannon downrigger,12 beers later and sunburnt to hell it was time to head in...

Back