Hey guys,

This past spring I had the opportunity to capture a Unique steelhead outfitter in South East Alaska. With only 4 days and dozens of coastal tributaries to explore, our outfitter deployed us to 6 systems in specific that held the highest chance for us to connect.

Greg was born and raised in SE Alaska and spent his teenage years exploring these warers by skiff and was extremely willing to share just how special this place is to him. With Greg, Pauly and Boone (paulys son) i was able to piece together this short 6 minute film highlighting this unique steelhead experience Via 67ft Mothership.

I hope you enjoy this little piece as much as I did putting it together.

Thanks for watching,

Dan Favato

Attachments

• _DSF3746.jpg
    _DSF3746.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 80
  • C3545.MP4.22_33_02_082.Still002-2.jpg
    C3545.MP4.22_33_02_082.Still002-2.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 77
  • DJI_0877.jpg
    DJI_0877.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC01940.jpg
    DSC01940.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC02171.jpg
    DSC02171.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC02326.jpg
    DSC02326.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC02327-2.jpg
    DSC02327-2.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC02371-2.jpg
    DSC02371-2.jpg
    648.1 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC02543.jpg
    DSC02543.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 80
Hey guys,

This past spring I had the opportunity to capture a Unique steelhead outfitter in South East Alaska. With only 4 days and dozens of coastal tributaries to explore, our outfitter deployed us to 6 systems in specific that held the highest chance for us to connect.

Greg was born and raised in SE Alaska and spent his teenage years exploring these warers by skiff and was extremely willing to share just how special this place is to him. With Greg, Pauly and Boone (paulys son) i was able to piece together this short 6 minute film highlighting this unique steelhead experience Via 67ft Mothership.

I hope you enjoy this little piece as much as I did putting it together.

Thanks for watching,

Dan Favato
Really nice. Thanks

Nice video....I like the drone shots that capture the glorious light through those banana yellow trees.

When I fished commie halibut out of Craig on Prince of Whales, in-between openers I’d hitchhike out of town to the Klawock and THorne River and fish steelhead. I even hooked a few in the Klawock.....but I always wanted to go to the more remote rivers. I guess short of contracting a chopper, having a mothership with a catcher boat is the way to do that...looks like fun!

Nice video....I like the drone shots that capture the glorious light through those banana yellow trees.

When I fished commie halibut out of Craig on Prince of Whales, in-between openers I’d hitchhike out of town to the Klawock and THorne River and fish steelhead. I even hooked a few in the Klawock.....but I always wanted to go to the more remote rivers. I guess short of contracting a chopper, having a mothership with a catcher boat is the way to do that...looks like fun!
Thats awesome man what a place to explore eh! The mothership sure seems like the most effective way to get after it!

Hey sharphooks your new boat is the mother ship........just saying.

Ha ha...funny you should mention that, MikeP....after watching that vid I started fantasizing about doing exactly that....I have the space and reliable power for long cruises now, and a whole fleet of inflate boats to use for the beach assault...

Two things spook me about doing a trip like that, though....first, it’s more of an April/May show so you have the weather thing going on....Southeast Alaska can be brutal that time of the year.....second...I do all my trips solo....so there would be that queasy thing about leaving not only the mothership unattended on the hook while you’re bushwhacking up creeks, but the inflatable on the beach. All my inflatables are made of hypalon and it’s a known fact that bears love chewing on hypalon....wouldn’t that be grand——Getting back to the beach all flush on hooking some steelhead then finding your raft in tatters in a tide pool?

A friend of mine’s son just got back from a trip up to that part of the world yesterday...they didn’t fish...just explored, taking the Alaska Marine Highway ferry.

So that gave me a different idea: taking the truck and camper via that same ferry to Ketchikan then a separate ferry to Hollis, then using the road system on Prince of Wales to get access to the rivers

879AC6FC-FB42-4714-B63F-F7E8C1924602.jpeg

I’ve been doing an April/May steelhead trip for many years now, but a bit further north, using a jet and a taxi to get tent and inflatable to the river.
There are definitely way more fish where I’ve been going, but also way more people....

that’s what makes me want go to get back to Prince of Wales.... more bears then people.

Ha ha...funny you should mention that, MikeP....after watching that vid I started fantasizing about doing exactly that....I have the space and reliable power for long cruises now, and a whole fleet of inflate boats to use for the beach assault...

Two things spook me about doing a trip like that, though....first, it’s more of an April/May show so you have the weather thing going on....Southeast Alaska can be brutal that time of the year.....second...I do all my trips solo....so there would be that queasy thing about leaving not only the mothership unattended on the hook while you’re bushwhacking up creeks, but the inflatable on the beach. All my inflatables are made of hypalon and it’s a known fact that bears love chewing on hypalon....wouldn’t that be grand——Getting back to the beach all flush on hooking some steelhead then finding your raft in tatters in a tide pool?

A friend of mine’s son just got back from a trip up to that part of the world yesterday...they didn’t fish...just explored, taking the Alaska Marine Highway ferry.

So that gave me a different idea: taking the truck and camper via that same ferry to Ketchikan then a separate ferry to Hollis, then using the road system on Prince of Wales to get access to the rivers

View attachment 87266

I’ve been doing an April/May steelhead trip for many years now, but a bit further north, using a jet and a taxi to get tent and inflatable to the river.
There are definitely way more fish where I’ve been going, but also way more people....

that’s what makes me want go to get back to Prince of Wales.... more bears then people.
thats badass!

Back