Statutory Liability Limits of your Marine Insurance . New requirements 3 million is the new 2 Million

We received the quote to increase our liability coverage from 2 million to 3 million .

The annual premium increase (backdated to the start of our policy year) was $45.00.

i have now heard that some marinas, are deciding that boats over 20 years old are no longer allowed. wtf? a bristol condition with insurance.
friend of mine had beauty sea ray and sold it as his boat aged out of the marina. BS??

i have now heard that some marinas, are deciding that boats over 20 years old are no longer allowed. wtf? a bristol condition with insurance.
friend of mine had beauty sea ray and sold it as his boat aged out of the marina. BS??
Total bs

Friend who works in the marine industry says 5 mil is even better than 3 these days.....never know what will go sideways........

When I was talking to the Insurance Agent who insurers our boat, I was interested to learn that ATV's are required to carry a minimum of $200,000 of liability insurance if they .

There are fines for not carrying the minimum coverage and you are required to provide proof of insurance when asked for it (see below)

This begs the question, if 3 million of liability insurance is now in the regs, why is there not an enforcement clause with penalties?

Nothing is more useless than rules and regulations that are not enforced.

Here is the enforcement clause for ATVs and OFVs.

Liability insurance​

Did you know? If you operate your ATV or other ORV on a Forest Service Road or Crown land in British Columbia, it is required by law that you carry liability insurance. It’s also required that you carry liability insurance with your snowmobile if you cross a ploughed Forestry Road.

Think you won’t be travelling BC Forestry Roads or Crown land? Think again! If you’re operating your ORV on road in the backcountry of BC, chances are almost guaranteed that your travels will include BC Forestry Roads as well as Crown land. Regulations set by the Ministry of Forests require you to carry registration and evidence that you have purchased liability insurance for your ORV.

Be warned, that if a Conservation Officer or the RCMP stops you, you’ll be asked to produce proof of liability insurance for your off-road vehicle – the fine can be $200.00 or more if you’re unable to do so.

Liability insurance for your off-road vehicle provides vital coverage for you in the event of the unexpected – if you damage another person’s property or injure someone. Talk to your representative for liability coverage designed to meet the legal requirements for operating your ORV on B.C. Forest Service Roads.

It is critical that you know that you’re off-road vehicles are NOT covered by your home policy. It’s not merely part of the contents of your garage, which are covered by your homeowner’s insurance. The policy for your home doesn’t cover vehicles, outside of only limited exceptions which DO NOT include ATV’s, side-by-sides, snowmobiles, and the like.

Belong to an ATV club or organization such as ATV/BC? Have you successfully completed a relevant safety course? Be sure to ask for potential discounts associated with club membership or safety certifications.

At Reed Point it states on their website that
  • Vessels must be fully insured and less than 30 years old
On our pier there are a bunch of well kept wooden Grand Banks trawlers that have rented at the Marina for years. Grand Banks stopped making wooden trawlers in 1973, making the newest of those trawlers 46 years old..

I am thinking that this restriction may apply to new renters and that clause may be used to force the derelict vessels to leave, and restrict future access.

Last edited:
Back