Statutory Liability Limits of your Marine Insurance . New requirements 3 million is the new 2 Million

Bill 310

Crew Member
We just received this notice from Reed Point Marina

1705732504594.png

I have also attached a copy of the article in Western Mariner

1705732628702.png

So you’re saying I better bump my quote up? I’m also under insured for my hull and accessories, I like to insure for the minimum to keep costs down but it’s virtually impossible to find a good cheap boat these days if the worst happens.View attachment 102059
Isn’t your trailer insured by ICBC? Why include in this policy?

Is reed pt saying it is a requirement? In their actual note it is stated as "should carry"...be interesting to see how the rest of the marinas follow along.

Is reed pt saying it is a requirement? In their actual note it is stated as "should carry"...be interesting to see how the rest of the marinas follow along.
My marina still asking for $2M. At least it was a month back.

Reed Point is a well run marina. They require a copy of your current 2 Million Dollar Liability policy annually. That is a condition of moorage.

Their communication is quite clear.

They will let people renew with 2 million but are recommending that people increase their coverage to 3 million this year.

As April 1st 2025 they will require folks to have 3 million. All annual moorage renews on April 1st , so administratively this simplifies their system.

Liability coverage is quite inexpensive. An umbrella policy that covers your home, cabin vehicles above a certain limit is generally a cost effective way to manage / increase coverage. I am not sure how this would work with with these new marine regs.

The best thing will be to ask your insurance agent.

When you think about these insurance requirements one wonders how many boats on the water are not insured and operating

without liability coverage.

1705791448703.png

Last edited:
I believe marinas must present tenants proof of insurance to their own providers, to qualify for their own insurance by extension.

Anyway, no surprise 3 is the new 2M these days.

Last year was the first year insurance was mandatory at our marina.

I just heard back from our agent. She is getting me a quote for 3 million.

Of course, all of this is in many ways a complete waste of time until Marine Safety checks require you to produce a copy of your current insurance.

I sent this notice change to some of my friends back east who are on freshwater lakes. It seems that not everyone even have marine insurance.

And that is why having an Umbrella policy is important.

I just heard back from our agent. She is getting me a quote for 3 million.

Of course, all of this is in many ways a complete waste of time until Marine Safety checks require you to produce a copy of your current insurance.

I sent this notice change to some of my friends back east who are on freshwater lakes. It seems that not everyone even have marine insurance.

And that is why having an Umbrella policy is important.
There is currently no legislation requiring you to have insurance (either liability or "replacement" ) Many Marinas now require any vessel moored to have proof of insurance (Liability) . This is a growing trend and I believe we will see more and more boats unable to get moorage as they are in such poor condition that no one would cover them.

CR Greg

There is currently no legislation requiring you to have insurance (either liability or "replacement" ) Many Marinas now require any vessel moored to have proof of insurance (Liability) . This is a growing trend and I believe we will see more and more boats unable to get moorage as they are in such poor condition that no one would cover them.

CR Greg
3 years ago an uninsured boat caught fire in our marina and took 2 others with it. After they proof of insurance was required

CR Greg

The statutory limits of liability have been increased. i.e . the potential amount of financial risk that a boat owner is exposed to.

The cost of liability insurance is quite small for the amount of financial protection it provides.

Marinas who request copies of their moorage customers, are being both smart and prudent.

There is a valid reason why Reed Point prohibits people staying overnight on their boats.

Back