Starter negative lead

prodjsaig

On my outboard there is a negative going to battery 1 and negative to battery 2. And a 2 gauge positive to the start solenoid.

Do I need both of those negatives I'm replacing the wire as they are corroded and not tinned. Also the one negative was cut too short and put on a brass post to reach it (I didn't wire this thing). I got the boat like this.

The 2 batteries need to be toed together with ground yes. Is there a battery switch?

Yes I have a isolator on off or emergency combine acr switch. The batteries are connected across so I don't see a need for two negatives? When its the same there used to be a 1,2, 1+2 switch

"On my outboard there is a negative going to battery 1 and negative to battery 2." I do not quite understand this.

It appears that you have a House battery and a Start Battery plus a Blue Seas system. Is the wiring the same as illustrated in any of the many set-ups on their website? (See example thumbnail)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 9.46.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 9.46.00 PM.png
    836.4 KB · Views: 29
Yes exactly the same. I was reading your engine block is your ground so does this mean each battery should be ground to the starter? Or just the start battery because the start is already grounded to house?

I was thinking about it and its just two grounds. more grounds the better. Ill clean up the old wires add a few new ones. My question for those with acrs do you ground the house and the start to the engine block? or just have one engine block ground?

I was thinking about it and its just two grounds. more grounds the better. Ill clean up the old wires add a few new ones. My question for those with acrs do you ground the house and the start to the engine block? or just have one engine block ground?
The grounds are all connected anyways so might as well connect them.

I follow the Blue Sea Schematics. Have never had an issue. As,Corey-lax said, they are all tied together so why not connect whatever works best for you.

Ya I can see with the 1, 1+2 and 2 switch you should engine block ground both batteries. On an acr might as well leave whats already there. If one of those engine grounds were to come loose or corrode what have you. You could fry your ecu. So ill run a new engine block ground a new negative for starting and a new positive for starting. and keep maybe 1 of the other block grounds clean it up.

I follow the Blue Sea Schematics. Have never had an issue. As,Corey-lax said, they are all tied together so why not connect whatever works best for you.
The acr schematic shows the start leads. Not the engine block grounds. Is it standard in marine practice to run engine block grounds to each battery?

Back