Standard Horizon-Combo units

Cuba Libre

I have had it with the unreliability of my crappy Lowrance 525C GPS/Sounder combo. Its going........

A couple of the Standard Horizon units "appear" to give good value, but opinions of anyone that uses one would be appreciated.

TIA

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I had a Standard Horizon for years and it worked flawlessly. Not sure on the combo units. I currently have a Garmin combo that is pretty sweet.

Buddy has one on his boat,We fished Winter Harbour,the Horizon indicated that there was a point of rock just below surface at low tide. We didn.t believe it, so we upped our lines to check.Sure enough there it was on depth sounder.
This is on the inside of the lighthouse[8D][8D]
Really awesome unit.
Don

Thanks Guys... Also looking at a Hummingbird 700 series. I wouldnt need a new chip as it takes Navionics Gold which I have in my crappy Lowrance

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Oh-- Did I mention that Lowrance makes a crappy product? [}:)]

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

CUBA maybe you got a bad unit many people use a lowerance including me for the last 20 years and when ive had to send in 2 units had it back within 2 days ts just like chevs to ford some are good some bad.
I have the x-112 and havent had any issues along with MANY guides.

just my personal 2 cents ill never swith to anything else lowerance rocks as far as IM concerned.:D:D

Wolf

I have a stand alone Standard Horizon gps unit. 5 years old and its starting to become unreliable,stops working at the most inconvient time. Am switching everything over to Furuno, have the 585 sounder, awesome. Expensive though.
Ran a lowrance gps/sounder for 12 years never had any grief. Dan

OK-- I'll change it to .." Oh-- Did I mention that Lowrance made ME a crappy product? " :D

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Cheers,

I have a Lowrance X112-C on my boat and it works well. I have used Hummingbird and I literally threw it overboard. I have had almost every unit from the old flasher graphs to the X-16 Paper Chart Recorders (still have paper and stylus if someone needs some) and have - with the new boat - upgraded to the X112-C. All these were Lowrance and I am comfortable with their product.

I have had great results with Lowrance but have also had a couple that needed work. Steve Rauer used to do all the service work in North Vancouver and he rocked. He bent over backwards to get any unit checked and back on the water. Now that we have to ship them away I am finding that they usually just send a new unit under warranty. So far this unit has responded exactly as desired and I would probably only move up with Lowrance rather than a SH.

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff
www.fishingvancouverisland.org

I bought a x112 and a raymarine c80 4 years ago, so far I have had to get the lowrance replaced once.

I could be wrong but i'm almost sure lowrance bought standard horizon.

Thats why the new lowrance hd have most of the same features as the hoizon.

I've been running one of HumminBird's 917c Color Combo units right alongside a Lowrance (can't recall the model off the top of my head) on the charter rig for a couple of seasons now. The only advantage to the Lowrance is the Radar function (HumminBird has yet to incorporate). In pretty well all other aspects, the Humminbird takes the nod:
- Larger wider and clearer screen
- Extremely accurate sounding information on the display (greater pixal number) and the color separation makes identification of what you're seeing a tad easier and from a farther distance from the unit
- GPS, plotting, tracking and way point functions pretty much the same between the two

Bonuses</u> (HumminBird)
- Connects and controls the Cannon Digi-Troll system, which I very much like
- With an additional sensor (relatively inexpensive add-on) the Speed at the cannonball is displayed right alongside the speed over ground
- The Screen capture function allows me to review and analyze soundings after I have passed over any given area - useful for identifying structure, baitfish and target fish
- The wide screen allows for USEFUL split-screen operations in which both applications are readily visible.

In short, they both have their positive points. I must have radar, so the Lowrance unit stays to provide that. In much of the balance of operations, the HumminBird is better IMHO. Most days now I am using the Lowrance for plotting and the Hummbird for sounding. Good combo in that aspect. If I had a stand-alone radar and were given a choice between the two units, I would prefer to keep the HumminBird. For now having redundant sounders and plotters works for me...

Good Luck with your decision! :D

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks to all who offered advice. It helps. Nog the Hummingbird unit I am looking at is the 5" screen 788C combo. (Limited room on the dash) Has most of the features that your bigger unit has, except for the definition that a larger screen has. One concern is the quick disconnect (like a docking station) that the smaller units have. It looks to me that its an obvious place for connection problems to start after a while pounding around the pond. But its handy when parking the boat at the marina overnight.. The GPS unit comes home with me.

What I think I might do is to keep the Lowrance for the sounder function and just try using the Humminbird as the GPS chartplotter. That way I get the advantage of a full 5" screen for both the sounder and the GPS.

Cheers
Bryan

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I have both the LMS 525C and the LCX 37C. The 37C is connected to my LBS1. No issues with either units but did have some with the LBS1 which was resolved with a firmware update. On my 3rd year for the 525C and 2nd year for the 37C. I would buy Lowrance again without a doubt. Just insure that you keep your units updated with the latest firmware.

Biggest improvement anyone can make is put on a decent transducer. The stock one supplied with the units just suck. I had a Airmar B60 thru hull installed last year and the results where just short of amazing. Never loose bottom and can now run at 35-40 MPH and still reads bottom and the clearity and detail really increased as well. This year I am adding on an Airmar TM270W (Transom mount, 1KW and 25 degree on both 50 and 200)and just waiting for it to arrive so I can get it installed, along with a transducer switch so I can switch between both transducers connected to the LBS1. I use the 525 only for mapping/GPS and a backup for the 37C. I went for the transom mount as I can remove it if I ever sell the boat and just to expensive to leave on.

I have to agree that the tech support can be brutal, but when I went to the dealer where I purchased the unit he got me instant support thru his rep and my problems where resolved within a couple days.

Homer was the transducer plug in or did you have to modify?

IMG_1445.jpg

Gunsmith. Transducer's are all standard Lowrance blue ends. The TM270W came out in the fall but you had to buy an adaper to Lowrance. They are now shipping with Lowrance plugs and do not need an adapter.

Thanks Homer got the website and will be ordering one.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

On the original topic of the Standard Horizon integrated Units. I did a fair bit of research on the VHF/gps/radar/sounder units from Standard Horizon. I was very tight for space and felt it was the best option http://www.thegpsstore.com/Standard-Horizon-CPV-350C-GPSVHFFishfinder-Pkg-P1525C75.aspx

It has a 3 year warranty and a lot of cool features like spot current predictions and MMSI ID of other vessels (like AIS). The only downside is that it only accepts C-Map charts not Navionics.
Once you add everything , Sitex Radar dome , Morad VHF antenna , black box , cables connectors , chip etc . You are in for around $3000. good value in a small package.

Looks like a good set up,that combo , butto many things in one package, it pukes on yuo and your out a vhf gps depth & radar!

i like my seperate units if you have room.

didn't navman and standard horizon merge?

Rum Chum

Back