Lowrance finder/charplotter combo

Peahead

I want to upgrade to color FF/ GPS chartplotter combo . Been wondering what to get . The HDS-5 seems close to my budget and likes for my smaller boat but by the time I get the charts I am going to be up to at least a grand.
I have been curious about the Elite-5 DSI , especially the Gold model, the one that comes bundled with the Navionics Gold micro SD with coastal US and Canada . Anyone have an opinion of either of these HD and DSI units?
I like the older Lowrance pre HD , LCX-27c but wondering if the new HD models are really worth the cost ? .....Maybe I should just find a used pre HD like the LCX-27c ?

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Marine/HDS-High-Definition-System/HDS-5-FishfinderGPS-Chartplotter/
http://www.nextag.com/Navico-LOWANCE-ELITE-5-789627877/prices-html
http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Ma...S-Chartplotter-Combos/LCX-27C/Specifications/

whats your budget? if you watch these 2 forums (check daily) hds 5 - 10's pop up nearly every day.
An hd10 you can pick up for about 1200$! with everything but a radar dome
http://www.thehulltruth.com/parts-forum-90/
http://www.thehulltruth.com/fishing-miscellaneous-items-35/

and heres an hd-5 for 550$ http://www.thehulltruth.com/fishing...ance-hds5-new-breaking-up-electronics-lo.html

Thanks I do appreciate your reply. To explain, yes $1200 is over budget and a HDS-10 is over kill for me and my "small " boat. My DE 17 would however look pretty cool with that monster on the dash!
While $550 for that HDS-5 seems good deal and is below my budget, there is only one available so my chances of scooping something like that first is unlikely, especially when it is in Virginia I think. Missing part too ( wonder what else could be missing ?) Doesn't include Nav charts either .... if I buy pre-owned I much prefer touchy feely before or at least know a bit about who is selling it. Buy local and go pick it up is what I prefer.

Thanks I do appreciate your reply. To explain, yes $1200 is over budget and a HDS-10 is over kill for me and my "small " boat. My DE 17 would however look pretty cool with that monster on the dash!
While $550 for that HDS-5 seems good deal and is below my budget, there is only one available so my chances of scooping something like that first is unlikely, especially when it is in Virginia I think. Missing part too ( wonder what else could be missing ?) Doesn't include Nav charts either .... if I buy pre-owned I much prefer touchy feely before or at least know a bit about who is selling it. Buy local and go pick it up is what I prefer.

i think that one was new in box? But anyways, if you send those guys a message on tghe forum its yours, just send them paypal .But to each his own, i understand that when making a big $ purchase like this you do want to see what your getting before just sending your money away. One wordof advice thoguh, if your planning on running gps AND depthsounder off this unit, i think the hds-5 will be dissapointing the screen just isnt big enough to see both at once. I would go up to a hds-7 or 8. If it wont fit in your dash, put it into a seaview pod, they look real nice.Seaview_Pod-thumb-465x288-1643.jpg

i think that one was new in box? But anyways, if you send those guys a message on tghe forum its yours, just send them paypal .But to each his own, i understand that when making a big $ purchase like this you do want to see what your getting before just sending your money away. One wordof advice thoguh, if your planning on running gps AND depthsounder off this unit, i think the hds-5 will be dissapointing the screen just isnt big enough to see both at once. I would go up to a hds-7 or 8. If it wont fit in your dash, put it into a seaview pod, they look real nice.View attachment 1100

Yes, that one is new I believe , pre-owned though. I guess I could look at one of these places but as you say, I just am not quite used to it so a little skeptacle I guess....
VERY good point Nedarb2, about the size of screen on the HDS5 especially when using both plotter and sounder split. I am however trying to figure out if I would need split screen much anyway. Switching back and forth from plotter to sounder while fishing (on full screen mode) is likely easy enough and possibly worth the saving $450.00 to get 1.5" more diagonal size. Thanks for the Seaview pod info.....not necessary for me though because the room issue is more about winshield angle and clearance room above the unit and the blind spot that a larger unit ( HDS8 or 10) would cause on the dash ( I would prefer the HDS7 over the 5 of course and yes charlie415 it would fit nice I am sure) Hey charlie415, are you thinking you'd like to move up to an 8 or 10? ....I'd be happy to take your 7 off your hands for a fair price! I am going to place a want-ad in the B&S forum now ....

Yes, that one is new I believe , pre-owned though. I guess I could look at one of these places but as you say, I just am not quite used to it so a little skeptacle I guess....
VERY good point Nedarb2, about the size of screen on the HDS5 especially when using both plotter and sounder split. I am however trying to figure out if I would need split screen much anyway. Switching back and forth from plotter to sounder while fishing (on full screen mode) is likely easy enough and possibly worth the saving $450.00 to get 1.5" more diagonal size. Thanks for the Seaview pod info.....not necessary for me though because the room issue is more about winshield angle and clearance room above the unit and the blind spot that a larger unit ( HDS8 or 10) would cause on the dash ( I would prefer the HDS7 over the 5 of course and yes charlie415 it would fit nice I am sure) Hey charlie415, are you thinking you'd like to move up to an 8 or 10? ....I'd be happy to take your 7 off your hands for a fair price! I am going to place a want-ad in the B&S forum now ....

LOL Seen as how I just bought the boat in September and am still getting it the way I want, the wife would not be very impressed I am sure. In regards to using a split screen, when I am fishing I use it all the time. It is nice to see the contours so you can predict it shallowing up before it actually does. When cruising I use the chart plotter only. I am sure everyone has their own preferences but this seems to work for me. Maybe you could get the hds5 to start then when you are ready to upgrade I will buy it off of you for my outside sounder. Timing should be about right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you could get the hds5 to start then when you are ready to upgrade I will buy it off of you for my outside sounder. Timing should be about right.

Lol, That sounds like a plan.....and sounds about correct too ;-)

Back