Stamp Chrome

Anyway, I was wondering how people have been doing fishing for coho on the stamp lately? Have some more been coming up or what? Just wondering I havent been since last weekend.

quote:Originally posted by mthornton

Anyway, I was wondering how people have been doing fishing for coho on the stamp lately? Have some more been coming up or what? Just wondering I havent been since last weekend.

I'm thinking of heading up there on Sat. Morning .. How was it last weekend ?? River status ??

:D

I disagree with otter. Whats different from fishing alberni inlet to say the lower stamp? Fish dont feed in the chuck they also arent on their spawning bed. Fish dont feed in the lower stamp arent on their spawning bed. Just my thoughts even though i rarely fish freshwater for salmon just dont agree

Its not the sport guys he has a problem with if are politians could get some balls and settle with the FN instead of buying them off thats right it all comes down to politics

I hooked two cohos at the range last Saturday, it should be picking up though.

GMac

Four of my Budz were over from the main for 3 days this week chasing fins on the Stamp. They are all well experienced anglers, and do know the right spots to look. Total: 2 hooked, none landed. And they worked it hard sun-up to sun-down each day (DieHards). The only other fish they saw hit were from the jet rigs working the Boundary at Arrowvale. Looks like a bloody GRIM fall for coho!

Dunno is they're holding somewhere awaiting sky-water, or simply don't exist!![xx(][V]

Wish the news were better...

Nog - Wandering back offshore, gotta find some excitement somewhere...

Forgive my ignorance about the treaties...is it not true that the FN are allowed to net the rivers due to their tradition of feeding themselves with the annual salmon runs? If this is the case...why do they need to take so many (3x the commercial catch...come on)? They are abviously selling them commercially, which goes completely against the argument for allowing the fishery in the first place. How about a traditional fishery, using traditional fishing methods? Before the Europeans came, the FNs were not in the rivers with aluminum boats, seine nets and outboard motors!

I like that reply backatit those FI's are ruthless when they fish in the river with there boats motors and nets it really is a F-ing joke. Here we are wondering were all the coho are this year, Well i think the answer is sitting right in front of us. Leave the fish alone once they've hit the river. They have fought there way all there life, now they have made it to there home river only to be caught in a net that is strung all the way accross the river or endless people snaggin. this is sad!!!And yes everybody knows that the savages sell there fish commercially and lots of it goes south of the border.

WORTH IT!!!![B)]

Thats it they should only be aloud to fish the traditional ways
If the fn did not have aluminum boats ,outboard motors ,seine nets
would they still be on the river ????I think no .

Nog, the boy's from West coast river charters have kept me up to date, yes the coho are not there, sounds like the shipping lanes are still the only positive note to date.. Definately a rain issue or god forbid a no show..
As for the "nooks", it sounds like one of the best years for both 5 and 6 yr. olds in some recent memory.. The first three weeks of Sept. were full of above avg. sized Chy's.. The last three or four days have slowed to cookie cutter status and under..
Any word on numbers through the gate at the falls, it sounds like these fish are bookin once they get tired of the confluence.. The pickle farm has had a few days worth mentioning..
Did a jet a couple of weeks ago, and wow, watching some of those 40 plus jetting around was spectacular. Sounds like there ripping through the system.. Keep in touch-dirty

Fished most of Saturday at the gun range as well was walking up river... I only saw one guy get one black booooot. I nailed a small Jack Coho tossed it back.. I saw some nice fish chrome like a bullet but nothings eally bitting at all. Spotted tons of old Chinooks but still nothing I wanted to bite or even touch.. Where oh where have all the fish gone ???

Where are all of these coho??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Just returned from another 3 day juant out on the banks. Loads</u> of mature coho out there, getting larger (huge!) every day! Many near runnin'-ripe but still see-through chrome. From their condition, I'd guess they are Nitinat and Robertson mixed stocks. Guess we'll need some sky-water to bring them a-runnin'.
Funny, there was also a lot of hali's still lurking. Seems to me OUR calander is a month ahead of ma nature's this year...

Cheers,
Nog

So there is still alot of coho out there? Are they going to come in for sure or is there any way that they will wait till next year because the water temperatures have been so high and the weather has been so sunny and warm. Are some of these fish most likely headed for the stamp? Are they fairly big coho if they have been out there feeding for so long? Thanks

So there is still alot of coho out there? Are they going to come in for sure or is there any way that they will wait till next year because the water temperatures have been so high and the weather has been so sunny and warm. Are some of these fish most likely headed for the stamp? Are they fairly big coho if they have been out there feeding for so long? Thanks

Yes, there is still a very good number of coho out there. We saw well over a hundred mature coho in but 2 days of trolling, and of course we were trying to avoid them while targetting springs.

These fish will not stay out there for another season. They have reached their peak age, are becoming sexually mature (ripe) and will have to make the dash eventually. When that is, no-one can know. But best bet would suggest when we realize some serious rain. Then it will likely come as one big wave, and be over rather quickly. Suspect there will be no real chuck fishery, as they will likely be running deep and FAST for the flow.

Given the sate of these fish - eggs nearly loose and milt nearly mature, it is a reasonable assumption that they are not intending to travel far to find sweet water. Given their location, that likely spells the Nitinat and the Stamp as prime candidates. And given the returns thus far of coho to both of those systems, it is somewhat likely that is where they are heading...

And finally yes. The coho we saw were large. Hatchery fish ranged up to over 20 pounds, and a few of the wildies were even larger. The bait biomass out there is stunningly large (most I've seen all season) and every fish we took was absolutely stuffed. Certainly spending this additional time gorging lends to larger fish, and a higher potential for a successfull spawn rate (should they make it to the grounds).

Of course this is all just my read. The fish we saw certainly could be headed elsewhere, but it does make sense to me what I've suggested. Jury's still out...

Cheers,
Nog

Any rain in PA? I suspect the cohos will go now that we had some. I'll post tomorrow night with a report.

GMac

Back