stainless steel rotors

the butcher

about to order a set of tiedown 9.6" G5 disk brake kit with stainless steel rotors. Does anyone have experience with this brake kit or with SS rotors? its has an integrated hub/rotor assembly. Any feedback with regards to pros/cons of this brake kit would be appreciated. Thanks

Have heard stainless rotors are more prone to warping and may not be worth the extra expense to keep replacing them. Stainless callipers on the other hand are worth it... Stainless callipers and some sort of a coated (dacromet) rotor or rotor/hub seem to be a pretty well regarded combination.

Have heard stainless rotors are more prone to warping and may not be worth the extra expense to keep replacing them. Stainless callipers on the other hand are worth it... Stainless callipers and some sort of a coated (dacromet) rotor or rotor/hub seem to be a pretty well regarded combination.
I’ve read the same from multiple sources. Stainless callipers are the only way to go, I’ve had no issues with regular dacroment coated rotors.

I agree with the others. No issues 10+ years on Dacromet rotors, lots of issues with dacromet calipers until I bit the bullet and bought stainless. It is behind where the piston seal seats that expands and seizes the caliper. Hard to keep salt water out of there. Rotors can be sprayed with fresh water and will dry.

I concur, stainless calipers with dacromet rotors have worked so far for me (Kodiak brand). The rotors do rust up a bit but the rust scrapes off pretty quick. I wonder if that adds wear to the pads, but I don't know.

I went full stainless Kodiak rotors and calipers spring 2018 and no problems. Once a year regular maintenance and they look the same as the year before. Still shiny and rust free.

Two piece assembly will give you the option of oil bath hubs and only replacing rotors rather than entire integrated assembly. Also easier to carry spare hub.

about to order a set of tiedown 9.6" G5 disk brake kit with stainless steel rotors. Does anyone have experience with this brake kit or with SS rotors? its has an integrated hub/rotor assembly. Any feedback with regards to pros/cons of this brake kit would be appreciated. Thanks
Go with Kodiak if possible. They are much better. I had a lot of trouble with tiedown. I called etrailer .com and they told me tiedown had dissimilar metals causing salt to build up at the slider pins. My problem exactly. They would jam and stay closed. Went with SS Kodiac calipers and standard rotors. I have been problem free since.

X2 on the oil bath hubs, best thing you could ever buy for your trailer. Last trailer had them, current one doesn’t. What a downgrade having the buddy bearings and grease.

Back