Stainless or aluminum baitstation/fishboard

Fisher_dude

Crew Member
I'm going to fab up a station for the back of my boat but can't decide what to use for material. It's a fibreglass boat. What would you recommend?

Starboard marine lumber may work well depending on design. You can cut it on a table saw and put it together with ss fasteners.

I am thinking of making a table also. Aluminum with a poly cutting board on the bottom. But I have a welder and spool gun.

I work at an alloy only shop so material and how its put together isn't a big deal. I was leaning more towards aluminum for the weight factor but there's just something about stainless that seems cleaner to me I guess. I suppose the aluminum would be a bit easier on knives.

image.jpgimage.jpgRegardless of what metal you choose always put down Starboard over the cutting surface to save your knives. Or make support frame out of aluminum and the rest out of starboard. Like this.

I like your design but one such as that needs a nice boat to go along with it! My boat isn't the greatest and its only 18ft and I have limited space to design something. This is the area that I have to work with. I was just going to build one so it fits right on top of the area with the black grip tape.

5CFEE157-92DC-46D7-BEF0-4C6B669438D3_zps9nblkcn3.jpg

Not my design. Three Rivers marine in Woodinville Wa custom makes them. I just have a simple starboard station that clamps on rear rail. I just posted it to give you some ideas. That space you have is perfect for a small bait station and I sure you will come up with a great design. Here is my simple solution.image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the set-up I had on my old boat. If I was to do it again I would make it higher, to hard on the back.

Attachments

• Iphone pictures 967.jpg
    Iphone pictures 967.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 382
I'm a stainless guy but I'd go aluminum. I had a small SS cleaning table for my K&C. I was worried the edges were too sharp. They weren't knife edge but if you fell on one of them it would certainly hurt. Mine was pretty small and was still pretty heavy.

Well, after Casper posted the pic of his old boat, it got me thinking. I wanna do something like the attached picture but frame it out of aluminum. I know a guy that has a large sheet of cutting board material that i can cut a piece out of and just rivet it on. Plus, i dont have bevy holders at the back of the boat so this will give me a reason to put some in. Just have to figure out how to mount it. I was thinking about using the bases from the scotty rod holders, bolting them to the fibreglass and then just slip it on, but i dont know how id fasten the board to the uprights. Any ideas?

custom-bait-station.jpg

That looks very similar to the setup I posted from Three Rivers. Look at the pics to get an idea how they mount theirs. It is basically two u channels fastened to the back of the transom that the aluminum flatbar slides into.image.jpg

I built this one last year pretty easy to so with stainless screws. Ipp plastic store is where I bought the starboard it's not cheap. I would make from aluminum if I was u. You said you work at a aluminum fab shop, which one?

e72ead641a457466efc5504db9307d0c.jpg

It was just held in place with 2 magma support posts. Basically just 2 short posts that were attached to the board and 2 holes in the motor well. Worked well but hard on the back because it was mounted low. The one I have now is mounted on the gunnel so no mess in the motor well. I don't know if you have one but if not get a wash down as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get one or two of the Scotty fish finder mounts or similar. They slip in to the standard base. Or turn a rod of plastic to fit the mount base.

The shop is called WaterPlay. 90% stainless, 10% aluminum. Some great ideas guys! I'll do some brainstorming today and see what I can come up with.

Doesn't aluminium tend to react to food when it starts to break down? I'd check out why stainless is used in most food prep areas. Might be a factor worth checking out?

Back