Evinrude Gasket Sealing Compound Alternatives

Alex_c

This stuff is the cat’s butt in my opinion, especially for sealing threads on stainless bolts in aluminum castings. I pretty much use it like I would use anti-seize compound in non-marine applications, that is, on pretty much every single bolt. I was advised to use this stuff by the guys at Lordship Marine 10+ years ago, but my can is almost dry. Anyone have a good alternative that’s available locally?

Attachments

• IMG_8123.jpeg
    IMG_8123.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 6
Use grease on bolts. Don't use this on bolts it just makes a mess of the threads.

They stopped making it that stuff. Unfortunately. If I order the same part number from BRP now it come as a permatex aviation gasket maker with the red label. The OMC stuff was way better for certain things and the aviation is better for certain things. However neither should be used on bolts. Makes it super ***** to remove a bolt all gummed up with gasket maker.

Use grease on bolts. Don't use this on bolts it just makes a mess of the threads.

They stopped making it that stuff. Unfortunately. If I order the same part number from BRP now it come as a permatex aviation gasket maker with the red label. The OMC stuff was way better for certain things and the aviation is better for certain things. However neither should be used on bolts. Makes it super ***** to remove a bolt all gummed up with gasket maker.
I was advised to use on water pump housing bolts specifically, and I have taken stuff apart years later and it’s been totally fine. I’ve had my motor for 7 years and have done a lot of work on it, and I have never regretted using it. Your experience trumps mine though, so I’ll definitely take your word on it!

Don’t mind being wrong, just interested in doing the best job I can 😁

I was advised to use on water pump housing bolts specifically, and I have taken stuff apart years later and it’s been totally fine. I’ve had my motor for 7 years and have done a lot of work on it, and I have never regretted using it. Your experience trumps mine though, so I’ll definitely take your word on it!

Don’t mind being wrong, just interested in doing the best job I can 😁

I'd say someone advised you wrong. There's no real need for it on a bolt. Grease is what you need. All your doing on bolts is displacing water. So you can remove the bolt easily the next time. That stuff will work but it's not nice because it gets goopy and doesn't quite harden ever but balls up in threads. Bolts of all kinds should be able to go in with your fingers. That's all really.

Last edited:
I'd say someone advised you wrong. There's no real need for it on a bolt. Grease is what you need. All your doing on bolts is displacing water. So you can remove the bolt easily the next time. That stuff will work but it's not nice because it gets goopy and doesn't quite harder ever but balls up in threads. Bolts of all kinds should be able to go in with your fingers. That's all really.
I’ve worked on and owned enough outboards to be deathly afraid of stainless fasteners in aluminum castings on a saltwater motor. I’ll use grease in the future.

Had to replace the oil pan and exhaust housing when I rebuilt the middle section of my motor before I put the rebuilt power head on. Lots of flame wrench, busted screw extractors, welded on nuts and prayers to get some of those bolts out.

Yep. If only the factories would dab a teeni tiny bit of grease on things it would make life much easier. Then their parts sales would drastically go down. So win for us, loose for them. What a wonderful world we live in lol.

Yellow map gas handheld torch is your best friend.

Yep. If only the factories would dab a teeni tiny bit of grease on things it would make life much easier. Then their parts sales would drastically go down. So win for us, loose for them. What a wonderful world we live in lol.

Yellow map gas handheld torch is your best friend.
Ok, I remember where I heard to put gasket compound on the threads, it was from the Evinrude water pump installation instructions lol. https://www.crowleymarine.com/d/tec...its-5001595-5007972-installation-instructions

I thought grease on a fastener changes torque specs. Why not just a touch of anti-seize on the threads instead?

Genuinely interested. A few years back I purchased an older truck that spent a few years on the east coast. Once I dug into refreshing the suspension I discovered the joys of MAP gas, extractors and prayer. Now all threads get a liberal coating of anti-seize. The only real downside so far is that my gloves/hands get covered in old silver anti-seize.

PS - what's a good source for fairly priced Evinrude parts locally (just looking for consumables on a 135HO)

Last edited:
I thought grease on a fastener changes torque specs. Why not just a touch of anti-seize on the threads instead?

Genuinely interested. A few years back I purchased an older truck that spent a few years on the east coast. Once I dug into refreshing the suspension I discovered the joys of MAP gas, extractors and prayer. Now all threads get a liberal coating of anti-seize. The only real downside so far is that my gloves/hands get covered in old silver anti-seize.

PS - what's a good source for fairly priced Evinrude parts locally (just looking for consumables on a 135HO)
I always use anti-seize for automotive applications, but I believe there are ingredients (copper, zinc, graphite) in anti-seize that can worsen corrosion between aluminum and stainless when salt water acts as an electrolyte between the 2. Not sure how much of an effect it will have, but as someone who pulls all my own wrenches, I have no desire to be a guinea pig in that experiment

^^^You would need marine based anti seize when working with aluminum which has no copper. I'm with Ship, been using grease forever as it does not alter the bolt torque enough to worry about and cleans up easy. Learned this from a well respected Marine mechanic years ago, thanks Pops!

Mastinox.
Anything that carries a data sheet along with it is waaay to overkill for displacing water in somthing like a bolt. None of the stuff is good for you but that stuff comes with a warning. Reminds me of the 3 bond stuff.

So, you learn something new every day: I have a bottle of Permatex Silver as a general purpose anti-seize that I use on both my vehicle, and also used on my outboard mounting bolts).

Looking at the datasheet, Permatex Silver is basically particles of aluminum and graphite held in a grease suspension (some other anti-seize products also have copper - which should definitely be avoided for marine/aluminum). It looks like all anti-seize products are basically just grease with various dry lubricants held in suspension - so I suspect the impact on torque specs is the same as grease.

Unfortunately graphite also causes electrolysis with an aluminium hull - so now I've got to take those fasteners out and wipe down with solvent. Great... Maybe I'll just get a tub of lanolin. I've heard that works really well for general purpose anti-seize / corrosion prevention and addresses any risk of electrolysis. I've got a tube of Superlube grease as well, but am wary since the MSDS has no useful information.

I'm still finding Lordship to be the best, or Haney Marine in Maple Ridge.

Back