Stacking Rods

M

Mudder Man

Hello All

My buddy and i have talked about Stacking Rods for Fishing the next time we head out for Salmon. I personally havent seen what kind of clips are needed or have seen it done. Can you tell me what type of clips should be used and how they are installed? Guess after our last trip with trying some new area we need to up our chances so we will be looking at this for the future. Already pictureing there will be a growning pains with fouled lines etc. with this system. I see Fishin Magician has lots of experience with this type of fishing from his last comment in the fishing a 3rd line Topic.

Thanks in advance

Mudder from Alberta

with my new boat I feel naked if i don't fish 4 rods. Thats 2 downriggers and 4 rods so each side stacked. I've been doing it all season and not one problem with tangles, but it sure is a workout when you do get a fish on.

Just use the Scotty clips with the flourescent green ends, and stack 'em up. 10 ft apart, let the lines down slowly, and make sure you fishing partner is on the ball (As in doesn't turn the boat in as tight a radius as possible while you are in the cabin doing something). Use the black locators to ensure they don't slid, and to turn the rigger off as each release clip comes up, otherwise the clips tend to pop off the line.

Only use mega-stacking to find the fish, once you are on them, stick to two or four rods, it is a lot more fun. Two fish with no tangles is a lot better then three fish with a 30 minute birds-nest during the bite of the year.

I bet it is a work out and i am looking forwards to it. Thanks Poppa.

Thanks LC but just one question. What are the Black Locators?

I quite enjoy seeing a double header when the only person in the boat is fishing two rods.:D Gong show;)

Tom

try a guy fishing 4 rods by himself and having both bottom rods go;)

thats the busiest guy on the water

The "black locators" are a plastic clip that goes on the downrigger wire. You put the locator above your release clip and when the wire comes up, the locator will trip a sensor on the downrigger that tells it to stop winding. If you put the locator above your release clip you don't have to pay attention when your release clip comes up because it will stop automatically and you can take the top release off of the wire. Make sure you put two locators in a row. It builds in some redundancy in case one comes off and works better for me.
1008.jpg

I will be rigging my new 1106's this weekend so I can post some pictures if that would be beneficial to anyone.

As for stacking rods, I wouldn't do it any other way. I have always wondered though (for 2 rods per rigger). Do you put the bottom line further out than the top? or the same length? Also, do you put the pole facing stern on the bottom and the pole facing port or stbd on the top or vice versa? I would be interested in hearing some opinions.

I run my lines the same distance out for flasher/hooch or chovy and I put the side pole on the bottom so that if the bottom one releases, it will not tangle with the top one.

I have used the 'Bobbin' clips and I hate them. I am going to the flourescent clips like LastChance mentioned.

Hope this helps.

~Tommy

Had two double headers by myself last August.

First one was off Tofino landed 18 and 28 pound Springs. The 28 was on the second line which had gone slack but when I reeled it in to my surprise there was still a fish on.

Second time was off Otter landed a 25 and lost the other. The worst part was the second line ran for quite awhile before I managed to tighten the drag. Real fun reeling it all back in while playing the fish on the first line. The best part was I hooked up with another around 25 right after dropping my lines back down.

quote:I run my lines the same distance out for flasher/hooch or chovy and I put the side pole on the bottom so that if the bottom one releases, it will not tangle with the top one.

Same as me, but I don't use locators on my line for the stacking position as I always change it depending on the depth I want to hit.

Hey guys thanks for all the feed back and info. I am sure we will have our share of fun later this year.

Mudder

Several years back off Sooke I was fishing 2 manual downriggers with 3 rods by myself and got a double header on. So I'm in the middle of the bubble dance when this guy pulls up next to me and asks (without really looking at what I was doing) "Have you got the time?" I damn near fell out of the boat laughing after I decided he wasn't pulling my chain. When he finally looked, he started to laugh too which made it more difficult yet. I could barely hang on to the rod but I did finally get them both in.
T2

Back