St Marys Lake

Sea Ranger

Going over to Saltspring this weekend with a bunch of friends to fish for some trout and bass. I know the lake good and will have no problem picking up a fat rainbow or maybe even a cutty but where should I be fishing for bass at this time of year? Its not nesting time so I don't think top water baits in close to the shore will work. If anybody out there knows how to catch a bass this time of year I could use a bit of help.... thanks, Steve.

Hey Steve,

Based on past experience on other lakes, this will be a slow time for bass, but not impossible. The odds are pretty good that the fish will be holding in deeper water along any drop-offs in the lake, from 12-30 feet of depth. If the lake is a large shallow basin with no drop-offs look for them to be hanging around deep water structure, or even schooled in open water at the previously mentioned depths.

The secret to getting them to bite at this time of year is to fish smaller rubber jigs and worms than you usually would, and to fish them super slow. Their stomachs are just starting to wake up so they'll be concentrating on smaller feed sources. Black, brown, and pumpkinseed green or combinations of those colors should be good producers, but if you're not getting any action try going to a white two-three inch worm on a 1/3-1/4 ounce jig. This combo has worked killer for us in the past. Don't know why, just know it works.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

What Bassblaster said-I'd start deep off Bachman's Point and work out even deeper.

Failing that try the same trick off the pump house.

Thanks guys, now I might have a chance at catching a bass. In the last 7 years only one bass has been caught, everyone always goes for the trout. Maybe this year my name will go on the bass trophy and with a bit of luck maybe get my name on the trout trophy again too. I will let you know... thanks again... Steve.

What Bassblaster said-I'd start deep off Bachman's Point and work out even deeper.

Failing that try the same trick off the pump house.

Maybe even a spoon jigged vertically could work or simular small plated stingsilda type lure.
post note;whatever happened to the steelhead they used to stock there leftovers from another stocking program Cowichan If I recall.

.....whatever happened to the steelhead they used to stock there leftovers from another stocking program Cowichan If I recall.
They grew old and died, some were caught by a guy who used to target them specifically trolling up 'n down the middle of the lake haven't seen him around for years now though maybe he croaked too.

Hmmm sounds like Gordy Rich**** that swine LOL!

What a great weekend on St Mary's Lake we had. This year we had 10 people in our derby for a total of 11 fish weighed in, The largest fish only weighed 1.9 pounds. No fish on worm and gang troll but not for lack of trying. Most fish came in on black or black and red flies right on the surface. And once again no one caught a bass. The fish we did catch were all cutthroat no rainbows and these fish were really skinny like they hadn't eaten in a while. Thanks for your help. I recommend fishing this lake if you ever get the chance..... We stayed at the log cabins at Green acres resort and made a weekend of it with a lot of good friends, At low tide we went down to the rocky shoreline and picked oysters and that night we bar-b-qued them all. We truly do live in paradise. Steve.

Back