Sproat loggers derby

The Nanaimo Gone fishing still has lots of tickets. Jut picked up ours yesterday. I dropped off the cleaning table in Port yesterday to the main organizer.

Firelight is making some incredible food for the weekend:cool:. I just picked up my side of beef so T bones it is for one of the nights:). I can't wait. Get out there fishing, eat well, have a few bevy's by the fire. What's not to like?

I highly suggest entering this event folks. 20 bucks to enter and the prizes are incredible. It gives you an excuse to get the boat out of storage and have some fun :D.

Hi lads heading out for the weekend, came in last night from 4 days out there. Road is in awesome shape, prawning excellent crabbing not so much. Troller have been catching 10-30 winters daily, mostly smalls though. Needle fish hootchies. Maybe see some of you sat for afternoon happy hr, bring crabs we will try and do a boil, have some oysters, going into the ether until then.

T-minus 30 hours until Launch time !!!!!! Bust out the rusty hooks.

Good luck on the derby guys..

I have $20.00 sitting right here on my work desk today since I can't go for game changer to walk a plank again ..this has to be done with official judges, and in a uncontrolled fashion..I can donate this $20.00 funds to salmon enhancement hatchery of choice..Pic to verify! Of course I take no liability of consequences...

Good luck on the derby guys..

I have $20.00 sitting right here on my work desk today since I can't go for game changer to walk a plank again ..this has to be done with official judges, and in a uncontrolled fashion..I can donate this $20.00 funds to salmon enhancement hatchery of choice..Pic to verify! Of course I take no liability of consequences...
I am in for $20 as well :)

Unbelievable weather!!!:)

We got off to a late start on Friday afternoon so we had to run the last half of the canal in the dark.

Firelight testing out the new bow rails and doing his best Titanic pose while looking for logs lol.

We stayed up at the Beam with quite a few fishers and forum members. It was a great time.

TC has a new name for his new gal.

Continued...

We headed out to 3 mile and tried for halibut first thing in the morning with no love. We managed to put three springs in the box around this size. No derby contenders but good eats.

"Todd, what's going on back there"......LOL.

Prawning wasn't very good again.

The fog followed us in from offshore and socked everything in by evening.

We arrived at gamechangers happy hour deck party a little late but still got to taste the awesome seafood fest he put on. Great hospitality and thank you for having us over Brad.

Continued...

Unfortunately there was no plank walking that evening (all though the timbers used for the bar on the deck would have worked nicely ha ha ;)).

After a long day on the water and a visit on the West side we headed back to the Beam for a well deserved dinner.

This morning we woke up to socked in fog but just outside the harbor it started to burn off fast.

We released two undersize this morning and that was it for fishing action. The rest of the day was gorgeous!!! It really was like summer in March.

After packing up everything we headed over for the derby closing prize ceremonies. HUGE turnout this year with something like 470 tickets sold.

Talked to lots of friends and had a good time bsing with everyone. Winning fish was around 24 lbs if I recall. This event is pretty wild in that everyone walks away with something because there are so many prizes. Kudos to the organizers for another awesome derby. If you haven't entered this one before you should really try to next year. It is a great way to kick start the season.

See you next year.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pics man! Nice ratsnest on firelights Mr3 

Thanks bud. That's not a rats nest............it's a professional overrun :p:D.

(It was the first time I have ever seen this happen to him so I had to take a picture:)).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back