It's Shuswap vs. Sproat in the championship match of the Search for B.C.'s Best Lake

Sproat Lake in Port Alberni voted B.C.'s best lake in CBC bracket​

48 lakes and more than 100,000 votes later, the Vancouver Island lake takes the crown

It's Sproat, not Sprout Lake and after a tight race, CBC readers have decided Sproat is G.O.A.T (greatest of all time) when it comes to B.C.'s Best Lake.

From July 24 to Aug. 2, British Columbians whittled down a list of 48 lakes to crown a winner. More than 100,000 votes were cast and in a nail-biting final round, the Vancouver Island lake emerged victorious over Shuswap Lake in the province's southern interior.

With just a 120-vote difference (51.2 per cent to 48.8 per cent) the popular Port Alberni swimming and recreation site clinched the top spot.

Having worked a summer on both lakes I’m going with Sproat as the better of the two
Clint, why would you give Sproat the edge? I have only been on it for an afternoon, so would not know the finer details about it.

Clint, why would you give Sproat the edge? I have only been on it for an afternoon, so would not know the finer details about it.
No worries. The water of Sproat is so clean and clear it’s amazing and tourists haven’t “discovered” Sproat the same way they have Shuswap. That’s not to say I don’t appreciate fishing Shuswap. I do, but I just find Sproat a more relaxing experience

No worries. The water of Sproat is so clean and clear it’s amazing and tourists haven’t “discovered” Sproat the same way they have Shuswap. That’s not to say I don’t appreciate fishing Shuswap. I do, but I just find Sproat a more relaxing experience
I've fished Shuswap, so know what fishing is like on it. I know people who go to Sproat regularly, but they're water skiers. Does anyone fish Sproat? I just saw skiers and wake boarders when I was there.

I've fished Shuswap, so know what fishing is like on it. I know people who go to Sproat regularly, but they're water skiers. Does anyone fish Sproat? I just saw skiers and wake boarders when I was there.
Quite a few of the people I know that live on the lake do. Most of them actually. That’s not saying much lol I only know about a half dozen families. Got to take my first Hewes hardtop for a spin there. Way, way, way more wake boats on Shuswap. A lot more boat activity in general. Having been here you know what I mean. Shuswap is an hour from my house so I know it well and it can have pretty good fishing for sure. Winters are especially good. Best time of year actually. I’m not saying it’s a bad lake at all. Just that in my opinion, Sproat has nicer scenery and less of the baggage tourists bring with them. I can catch fish in either lake so that’s a non starter for me, I’m after the peace of being on the water and away from the crowds and can find that easier there than here.

Yep. It has Rainbows, Steelhead at times, Cutties and Hybrid Rainbow / Cuthroat.

Some of rather good size btw.

Cheers,
Nog

Where is Elk lake here?! It’s the perfect combo of swimmers itch, overcrowded beach, hazardous algae blooms, geese poop and a waterski run of 20 seconds before you have to turn around. Chef’s kiss!

Back