Sports guides allowed to buy commercial halibut quota.

Yeah it always comes back to the Island guy's.....

I see it as "it always comes back to the mainland guy's " that are always complaining.

Proof doesn't tell lies.

You guy's are alway's the first to complain about halibut. I find it weird that their is only a few posters that have expressed their displeasure about the regulations.

Have you ever looked at the little (very little) green man in the mirror when you wake up in the morning?

Education is key man. Learn your fishery before spouting off.

This is the last post by me in regards to you and your tuna comparison. It is laughing stock at best. Why compare a totally sustainable fishery that you obviously know nothing about or have ever entertained yourself about to any fishery on this coast. You have zero clue about the albacore fishery in BC and just use it as some kind of weird excuse in your posts. I am asking you nicely now in this post to stop doing so.
I guess that means you wouldn't like it well then you now how a mainlander feels when we are told to move to the Island or take a few more trips a year. It's all relative.

Yeah it always comes back to the Island guy's.....

I see it as "it always comes back to the mainland guy's " that are always complaining.

Proof doesn't tell lies.

You guy's are alway's the first to complain about halibut. I find it weird that their is only a few posters that have expressed their displeasure about the regulations.
Thats because they see how quickly they will get flamed if the question the current setup.

I guess that means you wouldn't like it well then you now how a mainlander feels when we are told to move to the Island or take a few more trips a year. It's all relative.

I live on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. I was born in New Westminster and picked up by my adoptive parents on the day I was born. I have lived on Vancouver Island my whole life. I have been a part of this forum for quite some time and have shared projects and expressed my views etc. I am a member of the Hunting BC forum as well under the handle Johnnybear. I have been a member over there for quite some years.

I have been over to the mainland once in my hunting career. We did not get our moose but we got our limit of grouse and killed a few predators. The cost of the trip of way over the top for what I had expected but I wouldn't trade it for the world. The area and experience made up for it all. I will from experience compare my mainland hunting trip to other's halibut trips to the Island and other area's. It is not a given. It is also a logistics thing. I haven't killed a moose or great big mule deer on the mainland because I can't afford going over there to do so. The same thing can be said about a halibut trip over here. Let's get the prospective straightened out folks.

I don't think guy' s like Terrin or Clint mean to put the whole situation on end but they need to educate themselves on the topic at hand and post up meaningful conversation to make anyone take them seriously. The post's they put out make them out to be greedy self centered individuals. I truly think they are better than that and they can contribute better posts in the future.

I don't take it as arrogant it's your opinion. I have my own and It's not wether I like it or not. It's about fairness for all rec anglers. But your post does bring up one of the questions I'm looking for an answer to. How can a fish I catch that's say 125cm be a brood fish but when caught by a commercial fisherman gets lumped on the head and thrown in the fish hold? Not trying to argue I genuinely think it's a question that deserves answering,
Yes it's a tough question. Your situation is no different that my guests that come for their annual multi day trip. They too only get to take home 1 good sized fish and a small one. Some would like more like the old days when they were allowed to take home 3 but they understand that the biomass is shrinking when it's for sale in the stores for $30/lb.
Personally, if the choice is keep any size or close it I would choose close it completely to save the species before they are wiped out like the Atlantic cod

For me the one big and one small 6 per year is fine.
6 per year keeps Island residents from getting too much of an advantage and really who needs more than 6 fish.
I don't want fish over 70 pounds in my freezer. Just not that good eating.
The small ones are easy to catch and make a great camp dinners on extended trips.
We do catch a lot of big ones and I am fine with releasing them at the boat.
I do however think that we should be able to keep both of our fish on the same day.
Saves on fuel, reduces the high-grading, and helps the charter guys out.
We all know what we really need and that is more of the TAC.

yes , get rid of the high grading... and low grading. lol

It always comes back to the Island guys claiming its all good the way it is and your abilty to get a few halibut on a trip is not nearly as important than fishing hali in november. Thats where I throw out that if the DFO put in a Tuna Quota of 2 per day how would they feel about that and never get a responce. The thing is don't claim to represent the majority of resident rec anglers it's just not the case.

Terrin

you should learn about a fishery before throwing it under the bus; tuna are a highly migratory species that come within our shore lines 45+ miles for a short period of time; and are only accessible for an even shorter period of time by a very small % of boats on this coast. Those of us that fish for them spend as much in a day in fuel as it costs the avg person to make the trip to the island for a weekend; at the same time we still have the added costs of moorage; bait, travel to and from on top of the fuel, so in actual we are spending double to do this fishery. why? because we like doing it!

Do you hear us tuna fisherman barking every time another dozen boats show up to the ground? NO! we actually will help the new guys get onto fish. It isn't a fishery like any other at this point and we want to keep it like that. we all choose to live where we do for a reason, and if you are going to be petti because you want more of something and feel you aren't getting your share; do something about it; don't drag another user group in as examples as a lot of trolls visit this site. if you want more halibut; go and catch it; do something about it rather than ***** about it! it is a resource that is there for all Canadians, buy your license; come to the coast and try to catch them like the rest of us. we all spend the money to access the resource; just because some people have to drive further means nothing, we all put the money out to do our hobbies, everything in life is as we choose it.

I live on the island; have all my life; fished since I could hold a rod. I fish for halibut very seldom; I think they taste like gritty mud sometimes; but those that know me know I don't eat a lot of fish. that being said; if you want white meat, get your limit of lings and cod while you are on your trip to the island. I have a family of 4 that enjoy bottom fish and tuna, tiny bit of salmon, I can do 2 trips a year to get the fish I need for winter, and that is with 0 halibut taken in the last 2 years. there are a lot of edible white fish out there for you to eat; try getting some of those on your trip and take them home; you will find they are better tasting IMO.

If we continue the in-fighting that happens every winter; guides wanting there trophy fish; interior people wanting more fish, some people are going to try and table ideas that are in their best interests and no one else's as we continue to see on this forum; that isn't the way to get your idea going any where; join the process, if your idea isn't what is best in everyone's interest; it wont go anywhere but at least it will be discussed with you present among more people that aren't hiding behind a computer trying to start an argument because they have their own agenda.

Call up your local SFAB rep; talk to them with your ideas; email them; then you can discuss your questions and maybe get some answers; you won't be happy with the answer from what I see year after year on this forum, but at least you may get some info and answers that will help you understand the process and why it is how it is. SFAB are always trying to get us more, as they are fishers as well; but it is a process against big business that wants the whole pie; and we the rec sector don't have the money for lobbyists like they do that spend there whole time protecting what the commercial sector get, so it is a fight; and for guys like vic-tory(Serengeti) that have there own agenda and sit like trolls in the background to start a fight amongst us to push their idea-ology on those that don't understand the process and he wants more of something and will use anyone he can to try and get them to fight for him. a forum isn't the place to get the facts and the important info for things like this, I would recommend going to the source rather than continue getting in arguments with people that have there own agendas to further what they want!

nothing against either you or Clint, I always said I would stay out of the halibut argument as I don't even catch them; but reading this thread and previous, and other groups getting dragged in for no reason other than someone is pissed off and stomping there feet because they feel no one is listening isn't the smartest way for someone to get the right info they need. we need to work together for all of our fisheries before DFO gives it away to big business as they are doing to make there job easier!

I may add that there currently is not TAC for tuna. There for no limits for commercials and a reasonable limit for sporties however the same can not be said about Halibut which is why we are discussing the management and division of the resource. The two can not be compared.

I like sculpins moose comparison. I would love to get a moose but I can't because I live on the island.

Id like even more to get a Saskatchewan mulie but those are reserved for residents.

Or it might be nice to go to the queen charlottes and bring home a extra deer or so above the possession limit of five even thou the limit is 15.

I live on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. I was born in New Westminster and picked up by my adoptive parents on the day I was born. I have lived on Vancouver Island my whole life. I have been a part of this forum for quite some time and have shared projects and expressed my views etc. I am a member of the Hunting BC forum as well under the handle Johnnybear. I have been a member over there for quite some years.

I have been over to the mainland once in my hunting career. We did not get our moose but we got our limit of grouse and killed a few predators. The cost of the trip of way over the top for what I had expected but I wouldn't trade it for the world. The area and experience made up for it all. I will from experience compare my mainland hunting trip to other's halibut trips to the Island and other area's. It is not a given. It is also a logistics thing. I haven't killed a moose or great big mule deer on the mainland because I can't afford going over there to do so. The same thing can be said about a halibut trip over here. Let's get the prospective straightened out folks.

I don't think guy' s like Terrin or Clint mean to put the whole situation on end but they need to educate themselves on the topic at hand and post up meaningful conversation to make anyone take them seriously. The post's they put out make them out to be greedy self centered individuals. I truly think they are better than that and they can contribute better posts in the future.

Thanks Sculpin. Just a couple points. I agree education is key. Derby was good enough to point me in the direction of some informative reading. Gonna take a bit to wade through it. I'm going to have questions regardless of the information I read. If you don't want to answer them that's fine but don't call a guy down that's looking for the info your telling them to find. If you think I come across as greedy and self centered because I want to be able to keep the same amount of fish as you in the time I'm allotted instead of spread over the season I can't help that. Those that know me personally will tell you I'm the complete opposite of what you think. Merry Christmas and happy new year too you too.

Last edited:
hypocrite
A hypocrite preaches one thing, and does another. You're a hypocrite if you criticize other people for wearing fur, but pull out your big mink jacket as soon as it gets cold.

Last edited:
Someone who owns very expensive waterfront property with his own dock here on the Island could flip this back on the mainlanders. He/she could argue they bought into this costly lifestyle back when fish stocks were more abundant with the expectation of fishing every day during their retirement and being able to keep generous amounts of their catch. Now they can be limited out for the year on halibut in a week and if they don't like possibly harming fish by catch and released be looking at their boat tired up to the dock most of the year. The short term answer for all people who fish in BC is more TAC on halibut and a determined focused effort by all not to buy into the quota system in the long term.

I think we should all be glad it isn't a sport Rodeo fishery. Throw her open let folks go crazy, catch what they can and shut her down as soon as the Quota is estimated to be exhausted. You know open her up in Feb and shut her down in May.

I went commercial Halibut fishing in AK in 1991.

We set 30 miles of gear with a hook every 6 ft. We caught over 5,000 lb of Halibut. We set our gear between 1200 - 1500 feet deep, which SHOULD produce larger fish than typical sport fisher depths.

I also sport fished in BC off Vancouver Island & Haida Gwaii since 1985. FYI while sport fishing I have never targeted very large Halibut using methods such as anchoring-up in prime large Halibut structure.

For those with the "fill the freezer the ocean is my grocery store" mentality there just aren't that many big Halibut, where big is defined as something larger than the current 133cm limit. Most of our commercial catch was between 20 - 40 lb fish.

The Halibut are getting smaller & IPHC data supports this.

FYI , I fully support the "fill the freezer" mentality as long as it's not wasted.

I believe that the BC Halibut sports fishery is getting a raw deal I would like to see an increase in quota that would support a larger catch/possession limit of fish 133cm (or so) & under with some sort of annual limit.

FYI the IPHC has minimum size regs for commercially caught fish with specific rules on how to release them. Asking that they also have a maximum size limit does not seem unreasonable.

I also found out that the Halibut biomass does not stay where they are born. Therefore it is not unreasonable that we ask that AK also implement conservation based maximum size limits (in SE Alaska guided anglers have size limits while unguided anglers do not that is unless their guide has bough commercial quota in which case the guided angler can catch per the unguided angler regs.

Back