Sports guides allowed to buy commercial halibut quota.

Everything I've read on here would suggest that everyone agrees in increasing the access to the fish for recreational fishermen. Whether increasing the biomass, as has been suggested, or increasing the % allocated to the rec fishery, which has also been suggested (in many forms), it all comes down to the same thing, more fish, less restrictions

I would think if you want less restrictions, even in your specific case, more fish are the only way your going to get it? So you may want to get behind one of the initiatives?

Everything I've read on here would suggest that everyone agrees in increasing the access to the fish for recreational fishermen. Whether increasing the biomass, as has been suggested, or increasing the % allocated to the rec fishery, which has also been suggested (in many forms), it all comes down to the same thing, more fish, less restrictions

I would think if you want less restrictions, even in your specific case, more fish are the only way your going to get it? So you may want to get behind one of the initiatives?
No in my specific case I would rather support 1 fish per day 3 Fish annual limit thus reducing my potential annual limit by 3 Fish. In this way it should not effect the current percentage to the rec fishery but of course an increase in allocation would also be welcome.

yep that would be a fair solution or a single fish annually for all BC residents would be the fairest. Wouldn't be very popular I'm sure but it's no less than I'm being asked to do. I'm not saying we should go that route but it would be equal opportunity for all fisherman rather than a few limiting out and telling the rest of us ahh too bad for you.

That should say 1 fish any size. Again not what I think we should do but a lot more equal for everyone.

Rereading this thread, I'm not asking for more fish. I think it's more accurate to say I'd like the option to be able to catch my 6 in one go. Wether it's a week or a month or a year. I feel I should be able to retain my 6 fish during my two weeks holiday. As long as they fall within the size regs.

Last edited:
I think a few points need to be injected into this discussion over halibut management:

1/ The International Pacific Halibut Commission/Treaty (www.iphc.int) - -Internationally, it apportions out the TAC annually by large IPHC subregions based on annual biomass surveys. Once that TAC is allocated to the Canadian subregion - DFO then manages how that is broken into sector and licence holder.
2/ Halibut management is part of groundfish management. DFO (allegedly) uses a "risk-adverse management regime where all groundfish (targeted and by-catch) is allocated and managed by DFO subregion. Part of that management includes leasing of quota. The groundfish IFMP details how DFO manages groundfish: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/mplans/2016/ground-fond-sm-2016-eng.pdf
3/ There is a history of sectors scrambling for available quota. It's a long, sorted history: http://phmana.org/pdf/110103_fact_sheet_final.pdf
4/ DFO does not follow the owner/operator provisions, like Alaska.
5/ Licensing is seen as an "opportunity" - rather than a right. Quota is an opportunity - rather than "ownership" - although the banks/courts have taken a different view wrt financing and suing over the licences verses the quota.

Last edited:
yep that would be a fair solution or a single fish annually for all BC residents would be the fairest. Wouldn't be very popular I'm sure but it's no less than I'm being asked to do. I'm not saying we should go that route but it would be equalizing opportunity for all fisherman rather than a few limiting out and telling the rest of us ahh too bad for you.
I will never support keeping big female Halibut. That is the fastest way of reducing the biomass.... taking out even more spawners.
I know Clint won't like this but you should move closer to the coast or make a 2 bad trip if you want more halibut. Problem solved
I agree that to be true among those who have a basic knowledge of the situation. there is however a very large portion of recreational fishers that do not. Heck I would hazard to guess that out of 250-300k fishing licenses sold every year there are far more that do not even know we have the SFAC/AB process with volunteers working on our behalf than do. Thankfully those dedicated to making the difference clearly do.

However I do think if we are to make change we need to educate those who do not (no matter how frustrating it is at times) and help grow memberships in the key groups that can ultimately band together to do what is needed to challenge the key issues.

I guess that is why no matter how many times I say I am walking away I never do.
I hope you never walk away as your opinion is valuable.

And 98% of the anglers do not fish mid Sept onward .... so the keeping that open part of the priorities does not represent the majority of anglers interests.

Above post is extremely arrogant towards clint

And 98% of the anglers do not fish mid Sept onward .... so the keeping that open part of the priorities does not represent the majority of anglers interests.

If I wanted your opinion Serrengetti I would ask for it. Ive blocked your last persona and will do it again

I don't take it as arrogant towards me. It's part of the conversation. But I will say it'd be cheaper to buy quota than a second trip. Not that I have, just sayin. I also don't think you islanders would like it too much if all the anglers who felt the same as me moved there. I think there's more of us out there who are dissatisfied than some of us think.

Last edited:
I will never support keeping big female Halibut. That is the fastest way of reducing the biomass.... taking out even more spawners.
I know Clint won't like this but you should move closer to the coast or make a 2 bad trip if you want more halibut. Problem solved

I hope you never walk away as your opinion is valuable.

I don't take it as arrogant it's your opinion. I have my own and It's not wether I like it or not. It's about fairness for all rec anglers. But your post does bring up one of the questions I'm looking for an answer to. How can a fish I catch that's say 125cm be a brood fish but when caught by a commercial fisherman gets lumped on the head and thrown in the fish hold? Not trying to argue I genuinely think it's a question that deserves answering,

Last edited:
And one last thing,
I though this time around that this thread is fairly civil. Couple left wingers but not nearly the rage that's been seen in the past. Way to go guys.

I fall into the 2% if your opinion is accurate
I am a true sport fisherman.
And place a high value on keeping my halibut fishing opportunity thru the fall season
Me thinks there are a lot of other SPORT fishermen who feel the same way

aiu
But there are more that don't fogged in. That's my point. Glad you do fish into the fall but fact is vast majority don't. If you're going to represent sportfishermen then represent the majority is what I'm getting at. Which I think you will even agree means most don't fish in fall.

Is this where I get to say..."show up and put forward your motions and maybe you will get heard"....:D. wait for it.........:eek:

Last edited:
If you want to spin the majority thing vic-tory (Serengeti Charters)........how many of those big fish you post up live to breed? You know the ones your rough handling, hauling over the rail by the tail into the cockpit of the boat, taking lord knows how much time to take the picture.........you know those ones. You do realize that all Canadians are penalized for mortality rates on halibut under the IPHC regulations don't you? Anything that leaves the water is considered a mortality. What makes your outfit so special that you feel you can increase that mortality number? The number that comes off our TAC and affects every Canadian's opportunity to catch a halibut. I think the majority would like to know the answer to that question.

The majority of charter guys that I know don't need hero shots to sell charters. The majority of people I know want all Canadians to have access to the halibut. Not everyone takes their vacation at the same time as your clients. There are recreational anglers that access halibut long after you guy's shut down in Port Hardy.

Last edited:
I fall into the 2% if your opinion is accurate
I am a true sport fisherman.
And place a high value on keeping my halibut fishing opportunity thru the fall season
Me thinks there are a lot of other SPORT fishermen who feel the same way

Another 2%er. I live in Victoria so 1 a day works for me.The size allocation seems right to me as we(my dad and I) took some bigun's when I was a kid. In my experience there was a lot more waste. The meat was considerably tougher and in retrospect I have remorse as these fish were big beautiful breeders. Last year I caught a 131cm fish out of Sidney, it weighed in at 65 lbs. That fish was more than enough meat for my family to enjoy many great meals. I feel that different fishing/hunting opportunities are present depending on where you live in the province. Living in Victoria a moose/white tail/elk hunt will cost me considerably more than a resident the Okanagon or Prince George. I chose to live where I do, so I chose not to gripe about these additional costs that are incurred to fulfil my passions. It's just the way it is.

I actually have put motions forward before at meetings thank you derby.

90+% is a vast majority...yet can't justify it if representing all rec anglers it seems?

Fact is that the hali poundage taken by the rec fishery during the very early and fall/winter months is so small that it isn't even worth a debate because it's not more than a rounding factor in the annual numbers.

I actually have put motions forward before at meetings thank you derby.

90+% is a vast majority...yet can't justify it if representing all rec anglers it seems?

Oh so sorry Vic-tory.. please for give me.....not sure what u are referring to on the 90% vast majority.....or is the another number that u pulled out of space....o_O

And one last thing,
I though this time around that this thread is fairly civil. Couple left wingers but not nearly the rage that's been seen in the past. Way to go guys.
It always comes back to the Island guys claiming its all good the way it is and your abilty to get a few halibut on a trip is not nearly as important than fishing hali in november. Thats where I throw out that if the DFO put in a Tuna Quota of 2 per day how would they feel about that and never get a responce. The thing is don't claim to represent the majority of resident rec anglers it's just not the case.

It always comes back to the Island guys claiming its all good the way it is and your abilty to get a few halibut on a trip is not nearly as important than fishing hali in november. Thats where I throw out that if the DFO put in a Tuna Quota of 2 per day how would they feel about that and never get a responce. The thing is don't claim to represent the majority of resident rec anglers it's just not the case.

Have you ever looked at the little (very little) green man in the mirror when you wake up in the morning?

Education is key man. Learn your fishery before spouting off.

This is the last post by me in regards to you and your tuna comparison. It is laughing stock at best. Why compare a totally sustainable fishery that you obviously know nothing about or have ever entertained yourself about to any fishery on this coast. You have zero clue about the albacore fishery in BC and just use it as some kind of weird excuse in your posts. I am asking you nicely now in this post to stop doing so.

Back