Sports Fishing Guide gets off charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with all of the strictly barbless in saltwater comments. Keep it simple. Its really not that hard guys, just keep tension on the line and it makes for a reasonably painless release if you catch the wrong size / species.

Not going to happen unless the people complain.

Prime example is getting circle hooks for the Fraser river.

Still waiting and Bill Otway who pushed this is now dead.
Guess DFO does not care.

i guess my buddy " a seasoned guide" should have fought his barbed ticket that he got at the boat launch!! lol... can you believe it! showed the dfo his gear that he had run, barbs were not pinched enough.. did i mention at the boat launch! boat on trailer!! HA!!
cost him huge,, treble hook and a stinger!

i guess my buddy " a seasoned guide" should have fought his barbed ticket that he got at the boat launch!! lol... can you believe it! showed the dfo his gear that he had run, barbs were not pinched enough.. did i mention at the boat launch! boat on trailer!! HA!!

Woulda beat it
Just sayin

yes i am sure he would have.. but he is far too honest for that.

just sayin..

Nope , no need to make it about honesty , or anything other than
he should know the law and understand his democratic rights.
Everyone should fight those kind of fisheries violations , maybe then those particular DFO officers would stop writing those bogus tickets.
They'd probably spend more time in court than on the water

Last edited:

I've had my hooks checked, they were actually barbless, but at times l use barbed hooks that have had the barbs pinched. Some of the barbs actually break off ( small trebles) when I pinch them. This leaves a very small ledge just before hook point, perhaps a hundred microns (2 x humans hair) high. I continue fishing with them but often wonder if, because they are not flat against the shaft, if that is considered a barbed hook. Larger hooks are easy, because just by bending the tip of the hook down before flattening the point is flattened against the shaft. It is something I too would consider disputing, as it meets the spirit of the regulations.

Been years since I was checked but last time I was the conservation guy poked my pinched barb through a piece of roe bag material. No snag=no barb was his explanation

Last edited:
Hey fishing if everyone was honest and ethical we wouldn't need fish cops and there would still be plenty of fish to catch!! That goes for commercial, FN and recreational. That attitude is the problem.

Been years since I was checked but last time I was the conservation guy poked my pinched barb through a piece of roe bag material. No snag=no barb was his explanation

Had the same with nylon stockings , even with the barb pinched it still caught on the nylon.
Was in Bamfield years ago when they had major cut backs and brought in DFO guys from all over. This guy was clearly from Newfoundland or around there and when he was gonna write me up the other three who were clearly from the west coast thought better of it the "other guy" switched gears ripping my buddies boat apart finding nothing than what he thought was an undersized Chinook and again about to write me or my buddy up when the west coast guys told him it was a pink. Anyway like I've said in past posts. If you think your right , dispute it. I took two days off of work to dispute the violation in this post. One full 8 hour day in court and another couple hours to hear the judges decision which by he way she reserved decision on for over a year if my memory serves me correctly.
Not everyone will go to those lengths or bother to take the time off of work and I'm betting DFO thinks seriously about that when they issue a good portion of the $150 + tickets they do every fishing season.

Your bud no offence sounds like an idiot and deserved the ticket. How would you just lay down and take it ? Barbs not pinched enough ? Sounds fishy to me !! If you can't figure out how to pinch a barb then you should not be guiding!!! There isn't a grey area for pinching a barb lol

Your bud no offence sounds like an idiot and deserved the ticket. How would you just lay down and take it ? Barbs not pinched enough ? Sounds fishy to me !! If you can't figure out how to pinch a barb then you should not be guiding!!! There isn't a grey area for pinching a barb lol

yes , but he is an honest idiot.

guess he coulda said he was bottom fishing or lied?

that was my point. he owned his mistake, all four of them.

we all know the loophole in the barb debate, i guess he could have used it also.

a few of us that work together have resolved to using a file and testing a hook before it gets soaked..

we do light him up still about being a poacher, which he hates and we laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back