Spoons

CIVANO

I have fished for a few years now with Coyote spoons and had reasonable results. They are now so poorly made that I want to try other manufacturers. How do the OKI Titan Spoons compare? Are they as productive? Other brands that catch fish and don't bend so easily?

I ran across Captain Downriggins website last night and checked out his new line of custom spoons which he has had painted to his specifications by Silver Horde. Those look good and I'd be game at checking those out but there are no distributors for Captain Downriggins or Silver Horde in the Lower Mainland. I've checked out Berry's Bait and Tackle and Nikka and they don't have the product line.
Check it out: http://www.captaindownriggins.com/

Tomic Spoons are ridiculously priced IMHO. I know the paint and labour etc cost $$$$, but that's taking the price of spoons to a whole nutha level as they say.

I have a couple of smaller Tomic Spoons I've run and I can't say they're outproducing made in China crapola. I do have some of the larger ones and they work fine. When Tomic sharpens the pencil on their prices though, I'll invest more into that line. The prices for Tomic Plugs and Spoons have done nothing but go up over the last 3 years.

Sorry Catherine, but thems the facts.

quote:Originally posted by reelfast

have any of you run the spoons the commercial trollers run?
Sounds like 'Captain Downriggin's Custom Salmon Spoons,' might just have a niche! FYI, sounds like the commercial's have a problem getting spoons, also; these were posted on the commercial website regarding spoons and I quote:

"Re: Luhr Jensen - Superiors?
Nov 2008

I've talked to several guys lately that have bought the Chinese made gold/chrome Luhr Jensen spoons recently, and all of them were disgruntled. They say that the finish tarnishes as if it were brass, or peels off entirely.There still not manufacturing a lot of the old styles, i.e.- katchamacs, needlefish, and superiors. It sounds like the blanks are made of lighter metal too and allow for bending that never was an issue in the past. all of these guys say they'll never own another one. Anybody else having these problems?

Fortunately I have enough of my old favorites to last me for a while so I won't be affected, but I am curious what people who are buying the new stuff are experiencing.

If enough folks from around the fleet are disappointed, maybe we should band together in the form of an ATA letter or something and complain about it to Rapala. Probably fall on deaf ears, but it might be worth a try. The old Luhr Jensen made some of, if not THE most effective spoons there was. Nobody has been able to find G/C in any of the usual styles made by Gibbs at any of the usual stores. Gibbs stuff are all copies of the old Luhr Jensen stuff, i.e.- Gibbs makes the Needle, and the Katchmor( which look exactly like the needlefish and the katchamac made by LJ.If the situation doesn't improve, it's going to make life hard for anybody new getting into the game to get any decent gear."

"Re: Luhr Jensen - Superiors?
Mar 2009

Hi I am also looking for #6 or 7 superiors 50/50 _ no luck but I did contact Pacific net and twine www.pacificnetandtwine.com and or sales@pacificnetandtwine.com some good guy there said that the stuff that they had made in China was not successful and he said he was talking to some guy local ( to richmond B.C.) and was trying to have him duplicate the American superiors - any of you guys out there that are in need might drop a note to the guys at sales and encourage thir efforts -- maybe it will happen if we show enough interest - get to your fishing buddies"

I find the only spoons to use are Coyote's but i have noticed they do bend fairly easy now. Lucky i have a few older ones. They make a 4 inch spoon in most colours but i find the 3.5" to work much better. The secret is putting a small bend in the nose of the spoon. works like a charm!

BTW early season blue/chrome or glow green/chrome and mid-late season the only spoon i run is the BadBoy (cop-car with red stripe)

-Steve

Good luck

quote:Originally posted by reelfast

have any of you run the spoons the commercial trollers run?

Iron Noggin' should step up to this question.

I've run large commercial spoons in Vancouver with not much success---however I've done very well with those in the Charlottes. Different story entirely.

Sad about Luhr Jensen---there's a real opportunity for Gibbs to step up to the plate and make some fishers very happy.

I still have several from my old commercial trolling friends , mostly silver horde and some very heavy straight chrome needlefish spoons almost afraid to use them as I have not seen spoons of this quality for a long time.

AL

Back