Spoon leader length

fish stalker

Rookie question :eek:

Spoons can be run by themselves so dont really need the flasher for action? most people still run with flasher?

Leader length for spoons?

Does leader length change with spoon size?

Does leader length change for species of fish targeted? (coho shorter faster action..)

Most of this i know applys to hootches just not sure about spoons.

:)

Similar I always run larger spoons on longer leaders and smaller ones on shorter leaders. I dont change my lengths for diff species. I do however re tie spoons that are successful on leaders the exact same length!

-KK

Personally for me....after all is said and done, spoons of any type seem to work best at 5ft to 6ft back of the flasher.

That has been my experience......but others it seems, have gone shorter with smaller spoons and gotten results.

I get more Coho when I'm not targetting them than I do when I target them. I just use Chinook gear for Coho.

Coho seem to like a little shallower tho' where I fish.

I ran spoons a lot shorter for awhile......didn't work for me.

I use 30lb test for smaller spoons amd 40 for bigger spoons.

Shortest I ever like going on spoons is 56".

I have found using a shorter leader produces less flutter action in the spoons,call me crazy (other people have) i measure my leader to exactly 6 feet and that is what i have found works best for me no matter what size the spoon, 3.5-5 inch is the normal spoon size for me, unless fishing offshore 6" pilchard im told is the ticket.

Fish Stalker: I generally use 5 to 7 feet as my leader length if fishing spoons behind a flasher (all sizes). I will go as short as 4 ft. in the winter on occasion but usually stay with the 5 - 7 ft. I use 30 lb. leader for 4" and smaller spoons, 40 lb. for 5" and larger spoons.

...Rob

Thanks. I havent had any luck for chins on spoons. I was running about 50-60 inchs. on 5 inch spoons with 40lb leader. I kept thinking bigger spoons bigger fish :rolleyes: I hear most people run 3-4". Now got a few plus a coho killer. Will lightin up my leader. Every one run mono leader? I was thinking floro?

No more than 30lb test on leaders for spoons, heavy leader deadens the action.
48" leader works for me.
KK spoons in the #1 and #2 size are killers when needle fish and small herring are present.

:)

Fish-stalker:- running 5" spoons all the time could be your problem right there......

The old adage "big fish like big bait" is true to a degree and also at certain times of the year and also where you are fishing....WCVI, the fish like bigger spoons more than on the east coast IMO.......but on average 4" or smaller gets lots of fish on ECVI....

I often use 3 1/2 inch spoons with good results .....

90% of the time I fish spoons behind a flasher.....

I go a bit slower than I would with hoochies tho'

You don't need to go very fast with spoons...unless they are big heavy thick metal spoons....spoons like Coyote are thin-gauge and it doesn't take much to get them up and running.

That said, some oldtimers used to fish their big Wonderspoons in the fall at speeds that were snail-slow.

On the other hand :- one time I was fishing with a just a mainline connected to an 8oz torpedo weight...and then a 3" spoon that was 6ft behind the weight. No flashers.

Both rods had this setup.

I cruised along under slow power and let about 100ft of line out per side.

I then sped up to a ridiculous speed for a spoon and weight. I went as fast as I could without the weight coming up too much on me.

Waddya Know....... three inch spoons going about 3 times faster than they were designed for......and......whammo! whammo!.....got all kinds of hits like this.

Time was late August......

Last edited by a moderator:
Back