mono to braid

the butcher

going to be putting a braid backing on my mooching reel and want to load up the backing so that there is only room left for 100-150ft of 30 lb suffix mono.. I will be tying a double uni knot to connect the mono to braid... trying to get everything lined up for the big chinooks at north and south arm come sept 1st. My current reel is spooled with straight mono so the braid backing with 100ft topshot of mono is new to me... My question is this, when I get hooked up on a large chinook and it peels line past the 100ft mark where the uni knot is, will that knot under tension glide past the rod guides without any issue or could it sometimes get caught? I suspect there shouldn't ever be a problem but once again, this is a new setup for me so I was curious how the knot will perform under tension through the rod eyes.

I don't glue mine (won't hurt). The trick is to trim the tag end of the mono super close to the knot and it won't hang up at all, infact I cast with that knot on my spinning gear with a top shot over braid and it goes through the guides smooth ......................... trim that tag end as close as you can.

I don't glue mine (won't hurt). The trick is to trim the tag end of the mono super close to the knot and it won't hang up at all, infact I cast with that know on my spinning gear with a top shot over braid and it goes through the guides smooth ......................... trim that tag end as close as you can.
I agree with trimming close but what the glue does is stop the tiny nub ends fraying and fluffing up-glued kinda puts a bit of helmet so to speak over each end-probably doesn't matter that much but I do it-easy to do and makes the whole knot smooth. Try it both ways-see what you think but that knot is the way to go if you are casting or even retrieving into the mono

Use RP or Albright knot for braid to mono connections. Either will produce a knot about the size and shape of an uncooked grain of rice. Tension the knot and clip ends tight, coat with crazy glue or clear nail polish to seal the braid and prevent fuzzies.

I use the Albright knot for a 30 ft topshot on my casting (not spinning) river rod setup, it runs through the guides cleanly every cast.

going to be putting a braid backing on my mooching reel and want to load up the backing so that there is only room left for 100-150ft of 30 lb suffix mono.. I will be tying a double uni knot to connect the mono to braid... trying to get everything lined up for the big chinooks at north and south arm come sept 1st. My current reel is spooled with straight mono so the braid backing with 100ft topshot of mono is new to me... My question is this, when I get hooked up on a large chinook and it peels line past the 100ft mark where the uni knot is, will that knot under tension glide past the rod guides without any issue or could it sometimes get caught? I suspect there shouldn't ever be a problem but once again, this is a new setup for me so I was curious how the knot will perform under tension through the rod eyes.
I have been using the Albright knot to join either 40 or 50 lb. braid to 40 lb. Maxima mono on my 3rd downrigger set-up for several years now. I only have 20 feet on mono so that I can hold firmly in my release clip with the mono. There is no problem with this knot going through the rod guides, I re-tie occasionally (once a month or so).
...Rob

I use this knot but I also coat it with crazy glue which I feel helps it slide thru the guides better!!
What Spring Fever said!
I have been using this knot for the last 7 years except I go thru the loop at the end twice instead of once - never knew what this knot was called. If I have tied it 100 times I have only glued it 5 times. (I had one come undone on a jigging rod with fish on last year so started glueing after that :-(. Maybe I went thru the loop the wrong way and that caused the fail?
I use it on my spinning rods for a 5-7’ top shot of mono and make the top shot just short enough so the knot doesn’t go onto the reel. (It it goes on the spool on a spinning reel you can get tangles or glitches when casting). Overhead reel no problem.

the glue makes you feel a bit better but when fishing and you get a tangle you can retie this knot quickly with practice and without glue. With stacked rods and a shaker or rockfish we get our share of tangles…

I agree with trimming close but what the glue does is stop the tiny nub ends fraying and fluffing up-glued kinda puts a bit of helmet so to speak over each end-probably doesn't matter that much but I do it-easy to do and makes the whole knot smooth. Try it both ways-see what you think but that knot is the way to go if you are casting or even retrieving into the mono
Mike

What do you use for a glue? Do you use Gorilla?

X2 for Albright as I tie it consistently well but lots of good options like FG, Modified Albright, double uni, surgeons (pretty chunky though). Whatever you're confident in tying so try practicing them all and go for what suits you.

Back