Spin rod with levelwind reel?

jcon12

Hi all,

I am trying to find two rods to pair with my penn level wind reels that will mostly be used for lingcod fishing.

I've been told not to pair a spin rod with a level wind reel as it puts too much load on the first guide leading to broken guides/rods.

Anyone have experience? I like the ugly stik tiger but can only find in a spin rod (model USTB1050S702).

Having a hard time locating a decent medium-heavy weight lingcod rod for $100 ish !

thanks for any help

Luhr Jensen makes a nice one for 120ish. 5’8” medium heavy jigging rod. Similar to the 6’3” medium heavy shimano trevala at 1/2 the price. It has a very similar look and feel, but slightly heavier with a stiffer tip. I just picked one up at Trotec for 125. Put an avet mx on it. This will be my main ling cod rod sometime Hali rod should I be so lucky. I have seen these rods online occasionally for 115.

Btw, I’ve run level winds on mooching rods before and never had a problem with any of the guides.

Fishing rod blanks have a spine which adds strength and backbone to the rod and dictates which side of the blank faces up. On the spinning rod the spine would be on top and on a rod made for a level wind the spine is on the bottom. This way you get the proper parabolic arc for your fishing pleasure.

Hi all,

I am trying to find two rods to pair with my penn level wind reels that will mostly be used for lingcod fishing.

I've been told not to pair a spin rod with a level wind reel as it puts too much load on the first guide leading to broken guides/rods.

Anyone have experience? I like the ugly stik tiger but can only find in a spin rod (model USTB1050S702).

Having a hard time locating a decent medium-heavy weight lingcod rod for $100 ish !

thanks for any help
Ugly Stick... They are available in medium weight.

Back