New rod time.... This should be interesting.

bcbassfishing

Well bring out the pitchforks and torches, looking for 4 new trolling rods. I've been running the Berkley lighning rods the last 2 years as they duel purpose for the salt and lakes where I live. Also I always have novice fishers aboard so I run Penn level winds just to keep it simple and my girlfriend hates the drag sound. So question being I'm looking at the Ugly stik Elite as they're on sale at Cabelas right now.. never handled one, don't know if these will be ok. Don't have time to go look at them and worndering if I should be looking at something else. Some guys are telling me to just run our 10.5 ft river rods but thinking they're not ideal for the job. Help a brother out with some thoughts.. Don't want to break the bank as I need 4 units

Well bring out the pitchforks and torches, looking for 4 new trolling rods. I've been running the Berkley lighning rods the last 2 years as they duel purpose for the salt and lakes where I live. Also I always have novice fishers aboard so I run Penn level winds just to keep it simple and my girlfriend hates the drag sound. So question being I'm looking at the Ugly stik Elite as they're on sale at Cabelas right now.. never handled one, don't know if these will be ok. Don't have time to go look at them and worndering if I should be looking at something else. Some guys are telling me to just run our 10.5 ft river rods but thinking they're not ideal for the job. Help a brother out with some thoughts.. Don't want to break the bank as I need 4 units
10.6 fenwick hmx, or shimano work well and wont break the bank

Yes salt. Forgive my reply, if salt is not the proper application.
yes they will be hanging on riggers on the coast and the big lakes in the okanogan. I like the Berkley lightnings but seemed a little light on the chuck and they took a beating on Osoyoos this year with 2 casualties out of my 4. Time to move on to something better suited to the brine and the animals that use them on the lakes up here. We're not easy on equiptment lol

My techniums only come out when I go to the salt. Too stiff for the stuff in the interior. I have a bunch of trophy’s and Luhr Jensen that I use on the lakes here that also do well on the salt

Shimano technium is pretty good bang for buck

My techniums only come out when I go to the salt. Too stiff for the stuff in the interior. I have a bunch of trophy’s and Luhr Jensen that I use on the lakes here that also do well on the salt
Gonna use my berkleys for rainbows but looking for a good rod for the salt... like I said not sure if I should be running my Convergance river rods on the the rigger. Planning on buying 4 new ones so need some input. I have next to no way of actually handling these things before hand where I live.

Gonna use my berkleys for rainbows but looking for a good rod for the salt... like I said not sure if I should be running my Convergance river rods on the the rigger. Planning on buying 4 new ones so need some input. I have next to no way of actually handling these things before hand where I live.
i wasn’t gonna comment but i feel i must. i would NEVER buy a rod with out handling it first. but if you absolutely cannot leave your town, shimano techniums are pretty awesome rods and get my vote. i used to run convergence rods but they are pretty noodly and can be tough to get out of the downrigger clip at times

You only need 2 rods if your fishing chinook from a small boat unless you want to bother stacking but that’s a whole new debate. Just buy 2 of the shimanos listed above and spend the rest on a couple mooching reels. Don’t run your level winds in the salt unless they’re saltwater reels.

There's nothing wrong with using river rods on the downrigger I did it for years and still use the one Loomis 1265 for that application never any issue (although I am careful Loomis can be a little fragile).
I wouldn't spend anything until I saw those river rods were totally unsuitable since everything costs so much now.

Also ran Abu Garcia 6500's for years & years on those same river rods literally wore them out/sold for parts they caught all kinds of good sized Spring Salmon with no issue none.

Ugly sticks are cheap junk for dummies.

I'm going against the grain here. 4 years ago I bought 4 cheap name brand rods at Cabelas for $25 bucks each. (on sale) They've been dropped, stepped on and banged up against stuff. I still have them. I spend my money on good reels. I figured they would only last a season but was wrong. I don't think they are ugly sticks because I am no dummy as per Dogbreaths comment above. To each his own but it works for me.

Shimano technium is pretty good bang for buck

I run four of these with two back up on the Fraser for sturgeon fishing. Originally got them from Derby. Have tried to break break a few fishing dinos and they are still in great shape many years later..... sensitive tip, great backbone with gold international Penn two speed (I like the bling!) reels

Got one because my boy is HARD on gear and that's the rod I put out on his side . Problem I have with it the handle is skinny so the rod flops around in my large hands. Secondly I don't find it has enough backbone for springs.

With Shimano technium, are you using the M or MH?

Any comments or feedback on this rod?

WCFT Tyee Series TS88i Mooching Rod​

With Shimano technium, are you using the M or MH?

Any comments or feedback on this rod?

WCFT Tyee Series TS88i Mooching Rod​

I think most guys are using the MH Techniums for spring salmon . Great rods for sure! Ive been using 10'6" Kufa MH rods for a few years now with no problems. Langara Fishing Lodge switched to these from Techniums as they're about half the dough.

I think most guys are using the MH Techniums for spring salmon . Great rods for sure! Ive been using 10'6" Kufa MH rods for a few years now with no problems. Langara Fishing Lodge switched to these from Techniums as they're about half the dough.
I use Kufas as charter rods as well. They are good rods and durable.

I prefer the old technium mediums (I fish inshore mostly) but you can't get those anymore.

I don't think Loomis and sage numbers are relivant to this thread as it sounds like the op isn't looking to spend a mortgage payment on a couple rods.

Where
I use Kufas as charter rods as well. They are good rods and durable.

I prefer the old technium mediums (I fish inshore mostly) but you can't get those anymore.

I don't think Loomis and sage numbers are relivant to this thread as it sounds like the op isn't looking to spend a mortgage payment on a couple rods.
Do you get Kufa rods from? Online?

Back