Sperm whales target fishing boats for an easy meal

It was funny that it was talked about killer whales up there stealing hali off the hook line guys and the trawler fleet didn't see this one coming...

Although I am not a fan of trawl fishing, this is talking about sperm whales stripping a long line of black cod as it is being hauled.
Not sure about the by catch in black cod long line, but this may cause them to fish black cod with traps.
Longliners have issues with birds attacking their baits when they are setting gear. Tough to be a longliner these days!

even tougher on the long liners in Alaska after this last IPHC meeting...and rightful so with a unmanageable bye catch that is out of control...

Large pods of orcas have been doing this for years --- sooner or later there's going to be a sperm whale/Orca beat down as they compete for those high-oil easy-pickings coming of the L/L gear

I spent about a year on a fleet of Japanese blackcod and turbot longliners up in the Bering Sea in the 80's. Orcas (and I'm sure sperm whales) aren't necessarily keying in on the engine noise. They're keying in on the hyraulic gurdy used to pull the gear. That's the Dinner Bell. A Japanese captain told me an Orca can hear the gurdy hyraulics firing up from 20 miles away

If I were into R+D for the commie industry, I'd be working on how to dampen hydraulic noise, or developing water-proof speakers to hang over the side of the boat to blast heavy metal crappy guitar riffs (or Mariah Carey lip-sinc fails)

Last edited by a moderator:
whales don't eat them all they leave the smaller ones to the fishermen... just take the biger ones they are fussy about what they eat; sometimes the lips are left on the hooks

even tougher on the long liners in Alaska after this last IPHC meeting...and rightful so with a unmanageable bye catch that is out of control...

Exactly. Gotta wonder how many whales learned this type of behaviour following commercial boats to eat their "bye catch". It would be pretty ironic if commercial guys were responsible for unintentionally training whales to strip their own lines.

Not a lot of by-catch in the black cod L/L fishery. If you're linking IPHC with the hook and line commie guys, most of the flatfish by-catch is in the P. Cod fishery (shallow water)

Guys who give a shiat will stop the gurdy and shake the fish off with a gaff. Guys that don't give a shiat will lay the bend of the gaff down on the incoming gear and rip the fish's face off. That's why God created third party observers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a lot of by-catch in the black cod L/L fishery. If you're linking IPHC with the hook and line commie guys, most of the flatfish by-catch is in the P. Cod fishery (shallow water)

Guys who give a shiat will stop the buddy and shake the fish off with a gaff. Guys that don't give a shiat will lay the bend of the gaff down on the incoming gear and rip the fish's face off. That's why God created third party observers.

Yeah I understand that. I'm just wondering In general if whales learn to follow the commercial boats. These guys seem to have figured out cod boats are a good bet.

Well I'm disappointed, from the title I thought this thread would have pics or video of a whale eating a fishing boat.

Bye catch, by-catch..... bycatch (definitely not bi-catch as those guys only swim near shore at resorts).

Back