Sooke visitor

S

spoiler48131

Howdy all listers...

newbie to Sooke area bringing family for vacation mid June and wondered if some kind listers could point me in the right direction...been studying up and lurking a bit here trying learn def will watch for those anchored and using scotty anchoring systems lol let me not drive you locals wild..bad enough to show up with some of my US gear damn level winds...lol but to invest in some fine mooching reels would drive the family fishing costs even higher then the bookkeeper (read wife) would approve...

We will be staying of Whiffen spit and I was wondering about reasonable and relatively close moorage for a 16ft boat from lucky rentals of course since towing a boat from michigan impractical...

I am a bit confused about the tide/current situations are favorable for halibut fishing..I am certain someone could help me there as well.

Lastly where is the best crabbing possiblities for that area? in the basin itself or outside? Ig anyone was really kind and could point me ot an area to start for some bottome fishing that would be kind as well but realize no one wants some tourist pulling up on their fav spot..
Thanks in Advance and Sharp hooks

tides/currents - not my thing, but if you are only in a 16', make damn sure you know what you are doing. If there is very little movement, you may be able to drift fish, but thats a tough gig around here. Best shot from there would be sooke bluffs area just around the corner from the spit and heading west towards Otter Point. As you say, people aren't going to give it away, but just look for the pinnacles on your map. It is also good over towards Race Rocks if you head that far on a nice day.
If you don't have a good GPS, this will guide you a bit but not as detailed as a good sounder:
http://marine.geogarage.com/routes/

If you want cod/lings etc, perhaps try Becher Bay - west side 80-200' of water...good chances in there, just watch the RCA over on the east side.

Thanks both of you appreciate the advise..I have lurked and looked enough to realize that I am hoping for low winds and somewhat limited in the 16ft even if it is "center console version". Experienced enough on open water and big water to know safe is right and anything else isnt worth it. Will have GPS and radio etc... was hoping to get around enough to fish in great weather and at least tend some crab pots. Respect to all you on here..I always charter with guides when I travel but had limit myself to two trips this vacation so the boat was a way to extend my fishing times...

Tight Lines and Sharp Hooks Where ever you venture..

Another thing to mention to you is the current slot size restrictions
on Chinook which will likely still be in effect.
Hatchery fish only over 67cm can be retained, if they are unclipped
they must be returned.
that said there was some good fishing last year at that time
and 2010 is supposed to be similar.

:)

Personally, I would head just a "little bit further north" in “June”, but Sooke has been known and can produce a “lot” of fish! I really don’t do a lot of bottom or halibut fishing in that area, but I have done a lot of salmon there - and a lot during that time frame!

As far as, anchoring for halibut… I guess I am not that serious about halibut fishing, as I don’t anchor? But, I have caught them as “by catch”, mostly, trolling for salmon close to the bottom. I am quite sure “others” can provide better information on that?

Crab by far "inside", just look for “all” the pots! There will be many! Salmon… Otter Point, the Gap, Secretary, Beechie, if nothing is happening and you want to run a little farther, try Church and even Whirl. Watch the weather, and be ready to fish with a "lot" of other boats?

BTW… YOU really need, to watch those “markers” - “closely”, the first time in and/or out of Sooke!

Thanks I appreciate the advice. Left totally to my own devices I would have stayed in Bamfield/Uclet area. I loved Gold River the best last time i visited the island but alas taking my mother in law along this trip..makes the boat rental all that more appealing...:D

Back