Sooke River

S

secheltfish

Has anyone heard of Sturgeon in the Sooke River? There was a dead one one the rocks at the end of DeMamiel creek. will post some pictures later

There was one caught years ago in the salt off Sooke.

Although rare for the Sooke maybe, it is not at all uncommon for an area like that anywhere on the BC coast.

The white sturgeon is a unique freshwater fish species that plays a significant role in British Columbia's cultural and social heritage, as well as our economy. The white sturgeon (Acipenser transmontanus) belongs to the sturgeon family Acipenseridae. Not only is it the largest sturgeon species in North America, it is also the largest freshwater fish species in North America. The only other sturgeon species found in British Columbia waters is the green sturgeon (Acipenser medirostris Ayres). However, very little is known about this species except that it tends to be found under more marine and coastal conditions.

Distribution

White Sturgeon are found in 3 major drainages on the west coast of North America including the Sacramento (in California), Columbia (in British Columbia, Idaho and Washington) and Fraser systems. In British Columbia, spawning populations of white sturgeon occur in three rivers: the Fraser/Nechako, Columbia and Kootenay. White sturgeon have also been observed in the mouth of the Cowichan and Somass rivers on Vancouver Island. However, it is likely that these fish represent stray fish from the mainland systems, possibly the Columbia River in Washington, rather than separate spawning populations.

Thanks for the sturgeon-primer Jacques!

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

quote:Originally posted by Little Hawk

Thanks for the sturgeon-primer Jacques!

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

Anytime I can help out;) Although I figured it was obvious that it was cut and paste. There were alot of big words in there. LOL

I think i got this right
[
056.jpg
][/img]

Wow![:p] what a pic!! Do ya have more! That is right close to Home.... My Dad & Uncle Jock seen a small one while fishing for steelhead 45 yrs ago in the Sooke River. I've caught two right off Sooke (this side of Otter Pt) in the belly of a 165lb hali 17 yrs ago. 1 was 26" long and looked like it was fresh[xx(] and the other 23" and had little skin left but had all its bumps still and full skeleton w/meat. Kewl. You've just made my stay at home sick day.

Someone should go get it from your directions and see if it is tagged. The tag is usually located up under the rear edge of the skull on the LH side looking fwd. Just freeze it, then we'll contact someone with the tool,get length/girth too. Ask any of the other people on here that have fished for them. I'd do it but would be in trouble[V] Be nice to hear about it. Good Job! LipRipper, GO Get er done.....:D

Back