Sooke Rescue Boat In Night Exercise Incident

That’s a narrow passage that most Sooke fishers know well. 27 knots in daylight would be too fast in my opinion. In the dark, regardless of radar, plotter and lights (the latter were not being used at the time), the likelihood of disaster is extremely high. To say that “mistakes happen“ really understates how serious they were, in my opinion.

I think the only thing I would add is if one feels something is not right - don't wait - don't assume it is unimportant - don't assume you know less than others - if things are not being done right or you have a bad feeling that something will happen or it is being done wrong. Don't assume the driver of the boat has seen each and every log and obstruction. Speak-up, ask questions and learn.

Competent, experienced skippers will always encourage communication and interaction when it concerns the safety and efficiency of any boat's operations. Because everyone's lives are at risk and operational awareness needs to be taken seriously and professionally at all times. Competent, experienced deckhands will quickly assess a skipper's abilities and ignore fear of telling the skipper what they think he might have seen or not seen - and ask anyways.

For Skippers/drivers: If things are confusing - shut 'er down right now and get a handle on things. Stop immediately. Find-out where you are. Always listen to that voice in your head.... because when one doesn't - that's when the sh*t happens....

Last edited:
Can't believe that a Sooke Rescue boat would not have a Slug trail/or route programmed in to there GPS to return on. That is a tricky piece or water anytime and in the dark in good conditions even trickier. Very lucky the were not all killed. No first hand knowledge but have heard a few disturbing stories about that unit.

I read the report - What a calamity of errors. I can't comprehend any of this happening to an experienced boater.
31 mph, no vis, 0.125 radar range.

Was there a bag of columbian boom boom on board?!

Unbelievable that this actually happened

operational awareness - always the holy grail for safety....

I read the report - What a calamity of errors. I can't comprehend any of this happening to an experienced boater.
31 mph, no vis, 0.125 radar range.

Was there a bag of columbian boom boom on board?!

Unbelievable that this actually happened
Yeah, lots of mistakes pointed out in that report

Back