Sooke Rescue Boat In Night Exercise Incident

There are always two sides to every story. Unless any of this letter content is substantiated, and verified through the statements of others, I'll just dismiss this as more of a letter of sour grapes from a dismissed member.
Yeah, the other side of the story is the RCMSar rescue boat hard aground, resting on its cabin roof!
C'mon man!
This organization needs to come together and be much more professional.
Yes - they are volunteers, BUT if they can have an incident such as this once it can certainly happen again!
Maybe the next time the boat runs over a group of kayakers? Who knows!!!
From this letter, I see that there is room for that station to improve and their boat on the beach is the proof!
Dismissing this letter entirely is somewhat ignorant.
Pastafarian

Yeah, the other side of the story is the RCMSar rescue boat hard aground, resting on its cabin roof!
C'mon man!
This organization needs to come together and be much more professional.
Yes - they are volunteers, BUT if they can have an incident such as this once it can certainly happen again!
Maybe the next time the boat runs over a group of kayakers? Who knows!!!
From this letter, I see that there is room for that station to improve and their boat on the beach is the proof!
Dismissing this letter entirely is somewhat ignorant.
Pastafarian
The full report is not out on this accident. I'm not doubting there was negligence, but this letter really seems to put down the entire system at RCMSar. That's what I question without others backing this up.

someone on day shift switched to north up? basic night mistake.

You have to wonder with high turnover rates of volunteers and increased training costs if it wouldn't be cheaper to hire a group of full time professionals...

You have to wonder with high turnover rates of volunteers and increased training costs if it wouldn't be cheaper to hire a group of full time professionals...
Victoria now has a full time, coast guard lifeboat station.
Port renfrew will be getting a CG lifeboat station in the near future. This means more professionals responding to calls.
Good news!
PF

There are always two sides to every story. Unless any of this letter content is substantiated, and verified through the statements of others, I'll just dismiss this as more of a letter of sour grapes from a dismissed member.
I don't think I would necessarily dismiss all of the authors complaints as "sour grapes" out-of-hand. Safety concerns do need to be taken seriously.

However, complaints also need to be supported and justified/validated to be relevant and appropriate. Just because someone complains - does not necessarily make them "right", neither. Some people unfortunately are quick to assume the role of "victim" if they get any dissent on their complaints.

Take for example his comments re: batteries in the strobes. He calls them "incorrect" rather than state if the strobes actually worked - or not (IMPORTANT fact, I think!). Many hand-held GPSs state that you should only use lithium batteries verses normal alkaline batteries. However, alkaline batteries work - I've used them for years on hand-held GPSs with no noticeable difference. I am instead assuming that the strobes did in fact work.

He would have generated more sympathy and respect from me if he had of included that rather pertinent info as to whether the strobes worked in his long list of grievances.

I can only assume that he was instead selective in what information he presented in the letter - presenting only info that supports his assertion as being some kind of victim. Makes me wonder what else he is being selective about. I don't see that as being fair nor responsible - nor contributing to a dialogue that would resolve issues within a team.

Makes me also wonder if the reason he seems to consider himself some sort of a pariah as being based on his lack of being able to reconcile another opinion and get his way. Makes me wonder if others on his "team" see it the same way. Makes me wonder if inexperience is clouding his objectivity & understanding.

As confirmation of that - he relates another incident where he blames the coxswain for not dictating to the crew to put on their safety harness and helmets. It is always up to each individual to ensure their safety and there was nothing (including demands or no demands from the coxswain) preventing each crew member whom wanted to - to done whatever gear they they had and felt prudent to wear. No where in that letter does he accept responsibility like that - for his own safety. It appears always to be somebody else's "fault".

That makes it hard to believe that every one of the many grievances he has as being legit & supported... for me, at least.

Thanks for posting the letter, pastafarian :)

Last edited:
I don't think I would necessarily dismiss all of the authors complaints as "sour grapes" out-of-hand. Safety concerns do need to be taken seriously.

However, complaints also need to be supported and justified/validated to be relevant and appropriate. Just because someone complains - does not necessarily make them "right", neither. Some people unfortunately are quick to assume the role of "victim" if they get any dissent on their complaints.

Take for example his comments re: batteries in the strobes. He calls them "incorrect" rather than state if the strobes actually worked - or not (IMPORTANT fact, I think!). Many hand-held GPSs state that you should only use lithium batteries verses normal alkaline batteries. However, alkaline batteries work - I've used them for years on hand-held GPSs with no noticeable difference. I am instead assuming that the strobes did in fact work.

He would have generated more sympathy and respect from me if he had of included that rather pertinent info as to whether the strobes worked in his long list of grievances.

I can only assume that he was instead selective in what information he presented in the letter - presenting only info that supports his assertion as being some kind of victim. Makes me wonder what else he is being selective about. I don't see that as being fair nor responsible - nor contributing to a dialogue that would resolve issues within a team.

Makes me also wonder if the reason he seems to consider himself some sort of a pariah as being based on his lack of being able to reconcile another opinion and get his way. Makes me wonder if others on his "team" see it the same way. Makes me wonder if inexperience is clouding his objectivity & understanding.

As confirmation of that - he relates another incident where he blames the coxswain for not dictating to the crew to put on their safety harness and helmets. It is always up to each individual to ensure their safety and there was nothing (including demands or no demands from the coxswain) preventing each crew member whom wanted to - to done whatever gear they they had and felt prudent to wear. No where in that letter does he accept responsibility like that - for his own safety. It appears always to be somebody else's "fault".

That makes it hard to believe that every one of the many grievances he has as being legit & supported... for me, at least.

Thanks for posting the letter, pastafarian :)

Although I agree with much of what you said, I must disagree on one point. In the few safe boating training courses I have attended, it was repeatedly stated that the skipper's first responsibility is the safety of his vessel & his crew.
I expect this organization has published SOPs stating that the appropriate safety gear is to be worn at all times. It's the skipper's responsibility to make sure the rules are being adhered to.
In the same way that it is the responsibility of management to assure that hardhats visi-vests & steel toed boots are worn on a costruction site. It is the company, not the employee who has to pay the fine if the rules aren't followed.

Last edited:
Have to agree with Prfisher that all the marine courses I have taken all stated the same thing. The skipper must make his vessel and crew his first priority. I would also like to know that my rescue crew is at the top of their game and not intoxicated or nursing a hangover, not saying they were but if this information has any merit this needs to be looked into.

Good points casper and prfisher. I agree the skipper's first responsibility should be the safety of his vessel & his crew. That's why they can be charged with negligence and are supposed to go down with their ship to prevent that court case.

However, it's EVERYONES responsibility for their own safety, PERIOD. If the writer of that letter felt they should be wearing harnesses (as an example) why didn't he go put his on? There was nothing preventing him from doing so. Maybe ask the rest of the crew who wants theirs and hand it out. That's what a team member and a team are supposed to do, IMHO. Why wait for the skipper to nod his head - and then silently wait and complain later on a sports-fishing forum?

It's ok to the initiate to initiate safety protocols - if that's what you believe it to be. Too damn many mistakes made when everyone is looking at everyone else to be the expert and/or doer. Many - sometimes tragic - examples in the Transportation Safety Board Reports.

That's what those safety courses (e.g. Swiftwater, SVOP, MEDA3, etc.) try to teach - a culture of safety, being prepared, thinking - and taking responsibility for your own safety - 1st - above anything else...

Maybe that's actually the legit complaint against the skipper/coxswain - he didn't help contribute to a culture of safety including good communication...

Queen of the North - a good example of that, IMHO.

Last edited:
Always lessons to be learned. Transportation Safety Board have reported they are investigating and are in the “gathering facts” stage of their process. If they continue their process through to a full report, we’ll all have the facts and causes. Sadly, not the first accident during a training excercise for RCM-SAR. Reference the Sechelt Rapids volunteer SAR fatalities- training accident. http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/marine/2012/M12W0070/M12W0070.asp
That one was very tragic. Luckily nobody died in the Sooke accident.

Last edited:
What’s that old saying... you get what you pay for.
Volunteers can do amazing things, but a full time paid professional is often better that one who does it as a second job/volunteering

There’s just things that fall through the cracks

The TSB Investigation Report is in.
Yikes... 27 knots in the dark during a training exercise while returning seems excessive to say the least.

a series of mistakes, leads to an accident. terrible for all involved. glad no one perished.

As someone who spent 10 years with RCMSAR , I can unequivocally say that there are serious problems with the training and the general level of experience of the crew members. That said , the Coast Guard has relied on them for years to undertake rescues that were far out of the experience level of RCMSAR . The entire Marine SAR system needs a serious rethink.

let's go out for a rip buds....BURRRRRAAAPPP......BANG...CRASH....Uhhhhh...****

Back