Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Lippy, I did predict that it would be a red, which it was. The river...hmm could be Sooke could be Cowichan, could be a few others, only thing I knew for sure was that it wasn't a Harrison. I do have a pic...damn now I gotta go get them off the camera...took some more sunrise shots yesterday too. I guess the Wash forest fire is helping make some beauty red skies again right now.

Here it is
018.jpg

Nice.... Sure looked like a killer day out there yesterday

This is the time of the year I get torn between hoping for a hot, dry late summer and fall to make up for the lack of a summer earlier on....and getting some decent rain to get the fish into the spawning grounds. How about sun all day and rain all night...that will work.

This is the time of the year I get torn between hoping for a hot, dry late summer and fall to make up for the lack of a summer earlier on....and getting some decent rain to get the fish into the spawning grounds. How about sun all day and rain all night...that will work.
The only trouble with this late weather is I have to pass all the guys towing their boats out to enjoy it as I go to work!
T2

Good coho fishing on the second tide line off Secretary on the flood today.
Dummy flashers , fishing spoons and straight anchovie.
Kept 3 hatchery Coho around 7-8 pounds, released a couple of clipped fish under 5 pounds and another half dozen or so wild....the wild always seem to be bigger!
80 and 100'....one depth seemed just about as good as the other.
Tried a bucktail on top...but no luck even though we saw some fish on the surface.
Could not have asked for nicer fishing conditions.
Hope some of you guys in the know or with contacts in high places can tell us were all these coho end up.

Best day fishing Sooke this year. Left Sooke Harbour just after 6 and went to Sec isle and started to drop the gear but was looking like that there may be a bunch of boats and it just didn't seem right so decided to go to Otter. Great choice as heard on the radio that the whales were there. We were the first boat at Otter. Dropped the gear and first pass off the rock a nice hatch coho. Trolled till after the change and then decided to troll out to the tide lines for coho. Another great choice. 470 ft of water 50 and 70 ft off the downrigger, double header of springs, nothing great at first then one decides it going to hop on a freight train and starts smoking line out. Get the first one in the boat nice teenager, the other still smoking line out. We slow the boat down and slowly start putting the brakes on the train. I can start seeing the backing on my reel and I've burnt a hole in the palm of my hand trying to slow this thing down. After about 25 minutes we get it in the net. First nice size spring this year, about 25 lbs. Ended the day with a limit of cohoes and back at the dock just after noon. Beauiful day out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished Sat and Sun, Saturday did a 7 hours shift. Started at Aldridge Point, Trolled the Ebb to the Trap Shack with a couple passed at Beechy, Nothing, about 8:30am had a monster on at the Trap, Long line Release. Trolled out for Coho, Nothing but wilds (4) Home with nothing. Sunday, Did same routine. But didn't get a sniff. Decided to troll over to Secretary. Good Move, Right off the point, Triple header. Lost 2, Got 1. 20lb spring. Also got about a 10lb wild coho released. That was it. Great two days on the water, Springs are hard to come by you really need to work the gear. All different depths. Come on DFO open up Wild Coho's for us. Geez!!!!!

Short afternoon session for me and my son today from 1-4 PM. Great Coho action just out from the trap anywhere from 60-100'. Hardware outfished plastic today. Lots of wild and a few clippers but if any complaints then it's the lacking size. Nothing over 8-9 lbs for us and the clippers were even smaller. But a gorgeous day out there! Take the kids one more time - they love the Coho action!

Got a clipped Coho off Sooke today which looks like it has a disease or parasites.

In the middle section of the fish are a lot of bumps. It is as if individual scales are raised up and if you feel them they are quite raised bumps and very noticeable. I am thinking possible parasites of some sort under the scales but not sure. Has anyone else seen this or know what it is? My buddy took a picture so I may be able to post it at some point.

We have been weeding through lots of Coho and this is the only one I have seen with this issue. Currently it is in my fridge not cleaned.

I am deciding what to do with it:

a. Clean it and eat it or freeze it and eat it later.
b. Freeze it whole uncleaned and send it into a DFO Lab.
c. Throw it out.

Got a clipped Coho off Sooke today which looks like it has a disease or parasites.

In the middle section of the fish are a lot of bumps. It is as if individual scales are raised up and if you feel them they are quite raised bumps and very noticeable. I am thinking possible parasites of some sort under the scales but not sure. Has anyone else seen this or know what it is? My buddy took a picture so I may be able to post it at some point.

We have been weeding through lots of Coho and this is the only one I have seen with this issue. Currently it is in my fridge not cleaned.

c. Throw it out.
I'd go with B myself.

c. Throw it out.

Freeze it and send it to Alexandra Morton. DFO would probably not have the resources to sufficiently test it. And if they found anything serious, they'd just sweep it under the rug anyway.

http://www.salmonaresacred.org/salmon-testing-hotline

yeah, I vote for sending to Morton as well - Hi Five caught a funky one in Renfrew earlier and talked to her about it - she will take any that seem to have something not quite right.

c. Throw it out.

They are cysts. Makes the meat a bit gross but wouldn't kill you. We would catch a few per day offshore with this condition and I would just release them. Interestingly I found a much higher ratio of this in the hatchery fish.

They are cysts. Makes the meat a bit gross but wouldn't kill you. We would catch a few per day offshore with this condition and I would just release them. Interestingly I found a much higher ratio of this in the hatchery fish.

Any idea what causes the cysts? It is now in the freezer uncleaned.

Caught a wild one with lots of cysts on Saturday. If it was hatch I would have sent it in for tests. I have seen that on trout in shawnigan lake before too. No idea the cause but it might start in the hatchery.

Myxobolus squamalis is the parasite that causes the bumps in the skin of the Coho/socks. It's usually only scale deep but still is a bit gross. It shouldn't ruin the meat. Could only find one crappy pic posted below. This sounds like what your coho had.

http://www.hancockhouse.com/products/product_images//PacSal3.jpg

Henneguya sp (Tapioca disease) is in the meat itself. Looks like little cysts. Again wouldn't kill you but its pretty nasty. Couldn't find any large pics but the one below gives an idea. Both are common and naturally occurring so likely not worth sending them in.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...icola_in_flesh_of_coho_salmon,_BC,_Canada.JPG

Coho have had this parasite for a long time...have caught a few every year going way back. Cook it well and throw out the skin. Caught and released a wild one on Friday with them.

Coho have had this parasite for a long time...have caught a few every year going way back. Cook it well and throw out the skin. Caught and released a wild one on Friday with them.

If you google myxobolus squamalis you will see there are no human health concerns. No need to overcook. Just treat it as you would any other fish.

I think I'll just throw the diseased ones back or send them to alex you guys can eat them if you like. The disease may occur naturally but it's still worth looking at when/where and how the fish are coming into contact with it. Are they born with it or is it something they catch? Also is it becoming more common? As I said I've seen it in stocked rainbow trout so that tells me it could spread through the hatchery. If a fish farm gets it does the whole farm get over run with it then pass it to wild stocks?

All important questions just because wiki pedia has some info on it doesn't mean everything is known about it or how it effects our wild stocks. A fish farm lobbiest could easily submit a blurb to wiki pedia about fish farm disease. We should have somebody we trust looking into it. It could be nothing or it could be getting more wide spread which is a real problem. Would a fish that is all diseased like that be able to swim up the Fraser and spawn? Would it's offspring have it too? Lots of questions and only a few answers.

Back