Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Wow, I have caught more whites this year all season long. I think there is more cross breading in river systems than we know. Salmon will spawn in other watersheds. I did some contract work some years ago and found fin clipped coho in a watershed void of any hatchery.
Where the white chinooks are from who knows, but they are spreading out to more watersheds. We have seen them in the Sooke River and I hear there are some milling around the mouth of the San Juan River
It reminds me of the great northern Coho. LOL They are just mature adults.

Also from the Chilliwack and Upper Pitt rivers.

The Vedder river whites hair like this..

ed13-sized.jpg

And Pitt River fish more like this..

brad_pitt.jpg

This thread just got weird.... Lol

Yup – you can always tell when the Chinook fishing is slowing down and the boys are getting bored.

The irony is that we all know exactly what Salmon are being described by now common usage words like “Harrison” or “ Northern”.

Try using “Columbian” to describe a short stubby, wide and deep JDF Chinook as has been common usage for years and you can bet that someone will jump in to tell you that most are not actually from the Columbia River.

Now I’ve done it, -- Lippy will be posting a picture of Pablo Emilio Escobar Gaviria.

T2, work will do that to a guy.

RF... We don't need to know what a Columbian hair doo looks like cause we all know they don't come into the JDF :D

Are you guys finding that there is more coho action out in deep water close to the shipping lanes? I might head out there tomorrow and hope to pick up a couple hatch cohos between the tide changes.

Probably be fishing church rock to trap shack area.

With all the tones of condescension I guess I"ll just keep that one to myself. You really don't want or need to know, just call it a white. BTW I told my clients this would be a white male as soon as I landed it. HTF did I get that right...must be voodoo.

Last edited by a moderator:
They often do fight harder but not the reason I knew as this one didn't do anything special. In general none of the late summer springs fight as hard as the earlier ones.

Are you guys finding that there is more coho action out in deep water close to the shipping lanes? I might head out there tomorrow and hope to pick up a couple hatch cohos between the tide changes.

Probably be fishing church rock to trap shack area.

If water gets rough, there are some cohoes near shoreline inside bays. Fish move lots on each day

Harrison River gets alot of whites, Vedder, and now I hear that they just started stocking the coquitlam river with the whites.

Harrison River gets alot of whites, Vedder, and now I hear that they just started stocking the coquitlam river with the whites.

that is a good news cuz I may move to Vancouver in the near future and start fishing outside Cap and West Vancouver. It's exciting to look at the bridge and tall buildings while catching the fish.

Cheers

thats funny thats what I love most about fishing. NOT looking at bridges and tall buildings lol. I think I can see what you mean tho. Crazy that a world this populated and polluted still has fish living in its limits.

Who knows more than a DFO scientist?

A Sooke professional fishing guide :D

Thanks for the hairdo = Natal river stuff, I laughed so hard I shot beer out my nose....

If you return the head to the depot on cliped fish ( and yes they do have one at Flemming now ) you will occasionaly/rarely get a note telling you where your fish came from.
Having worked at the Hatchery on the Vedder in the 90's I would love to get a fish back from there.. but so far no luck
But I do make a point of returing every head I can to the depot/metal box, don't know if other anglers do, but I consider it to be a worthwhile exercise.

Cheers
Rich

Back