Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Fished off secretary this morning, got a 25 on bait and a few coho, 2 clipped. Beauty day once the fog lifted, gps and depth sounder both decided to not work today so I was really happy to see the sky. Ran out of bait early and I couldn't get a whiff on spoon,plug or hootchie.

Fished the harbour mouth and around secretary. Coho everywhere!! Had one take the anchovy off the surface and had another hit my spoon while still on the surface. The spoon that did all the damage was a venerable old Kippled K, It outfished everything else by miles. We released or lost over 20 fish and kept our limit of hatchery specimens. These fish were all cookie cutter 4-5lb fish and so a bit smaller than last week. Dead calm all day till 5pm when we came in so Big Wave Dave and Env Canada got it all wrong as they were predicting 15-20 K winds this aft!!

Took out the 8wt today. All im going to say is Yeeehaw! All on my own flies. None of the ones Ive bought worked! LOVE IT

-Steve

Took out the 8wt today. All im going to say is Yeeehaw! All on my own flies. None of the ones Ive bought worked! LOVE IT

Good job junior #2, feeling better yet?

I am waiting on sudsys report... It's gorgeous out there right now

First one hatchery, second one little wild who tried to swallow my whole double tandem favorite white yamashita and white flasher (which would later be lost for not checking the knots and line after his little brawl with it and our brawl to get him unhooked. I have never seen a fish hook themselves that bad.

If you are open to a suggestion. I long ago stopped buying/rigging tandem hooks for hootchies and squirts. Rigging a single hook yourself holds salmon better and is way easier on the fish when releasing them. Just put you leader through the hootchie and then through an appropriate size bead (I like the glow or florescent orange beads). Then tie the leader to a small stainless swivel and close a good quality hook onto the swivel with pliers. Then place a toothpick into the bead and break it off so you can adjust the line length (the same as a teaser head) and slide it all up into the hootchie or squirt. I like to adjust the length so the hook is just inside the skirt of the hootchie.

Try it; I don’t think you will go back to tandem hooks especially when there are lots of fish around that need releasing and that swivel helps hold a spinning salmon.

Beautty night on the water, was tempted to go to otter, but after talking to a guy on the dock and hearing it was dead there Today i headed to posession.....not much action for us, got 1 undersize spring right off the bat and thats it, there were a few fish right off posession, saw a guy get a double header, looked like they were both in the 20's, saw 3 other fish netted all night, was hoping for a big bite, didnt pan out that way, but dont get many nights with clear skies and no wind so had to take advantage of it!

Lots of coho off Secretary from 2-5--no springs. Followed the birds out to the deep off the trap from 5-7:30--
hundreds of coho
finning the surface. The best lure for us by far was the kitchen sink spoon. After trying some flies(which were too large for the bait showing) we put on a butterfly with a mint tulip hootchie dangled in the wake--game on! i've got to come back with my fly rod and give iit a whirl.
T2

Out off Beechy Head and the trap for a tune up for the Consultants Derby this weekend. Beauty day, dead calm, not a spring to be found, but coho right now is nuts. Had 4 hatchery and no bait left in short order then tried to stay in tight to shore and going deep to avoid any more coho but they were jumping everywhere and any depth to 95. Had several hit as soon as the downrigger stopped at 95'. Cool gray whale show off the Bedfords, he was splashing, slapping his tail and twirling it in the air. Probably feeding on krill, the salmon were stuffed with them.

Went out tonight with 4 of us on the boat and had a blast. my friend brought his son with us and they were getting double headers and we even got triple headers. Fished from Fraser out to Aldridge and the Head but could of started from the marina as the bait was bouncing off of the boats that are moored. If I had a dip net I could have scooped enough krill to keep a grey whale happy, as I was idleing into the docks.
The other guy I was with phoned his boss and now we're taking his daughter out in the morning. This is making fishing for pinks looks hard the way the are just hammering the hootchies and spoons.
When you can look over the side and see coho running beside the boat about 5-10 feet down it makes you not care too much about putting the springs on the back burner for awhile, especially when you are on a diet that the only meat you can eat is salmon, it sure helps to get that freezer stocked up.

Fishstalker - that's hilarious. I laughed and then I read your post to my wife. I've been bugging her to come fishing with me, and she hasn't come yet. I am now reconsidering!! Lol

Well she has to at least go once! Today would be perfect, no wind nice and sunny, dont make her get up for a 6 am bite and you should be fine lol.

Our issue came up when the we got out of the bay and fog rolled in heavy like heavy heavy like 20 ft vis. I was rigging gear and he was driving boat this way and that not sure where to go as it was first time out. I got a glimpse of land far off which I was sure was mountain behind dock area and asked him to head back into bay incase fog didnt lift, he kept saying dont worry and heading out to sea and I was lilke turn around while we still have a our bearings, but it was to late and he had thought he was headed back in but I could tell he wasnt. He said fine you drive so I took over and turned around using the last glimpse if land I saw and pulled back into the bay entrance. That shut him up thankgod and we a bit more of a fight because I had packed up most of the gear cuase I thought no way were staying on a boat together. But the one line I had got down got a fish and that was that, game on. An epic battle unfortunately it wasnt with fish lol but having someone to go fishing with is pretty important so you have to make it work. Its sort of like the buddy that would always skip school with you lol

Rockfish thanks. It was my go to spring set up. Wasnt ment to catch coho. I also bought a **** load of Radiant pretides off Jack the guy who invented them so untieing them seems silly. The little oil slick squirt I put out had small tandems but caused no problems. I think there were octopus but ill have to have a look to confirm. Couldnt find the right siwash hooks I wanted a 4? I have tied a few of my own but I need to practice. I am having a hard time figuring out what size and what and where to tie things on. What size swivles and snaps etc. Ill give you am pm and mabey you can help me out. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopfully someone will have a report for Otter point today, heading out tonight (5ish) and want to head out that way if theres anything going on today....

Heading over to Sooke for the weekend. Will be fishing out of a Tan 17.5 double eagle with tan top and a yami. We dont have a vhf on board so just wave if you see me lol. Looking forward to some coho action! Getting the boat ready tomorrow so we will see you out there!

Last edited by a moderator:
There is fish and lots of them some very nice springs being caught a few for us today and a big one lost at the boat all I can say is EEERRRR shiat happens.
Nows the time to take some kids out and enjoy we had a soon on the surface with nothing else on and having a blast got a lot of coho on them and our limit of hatch was really fun.....

Wolf

what a day! My 6 yr old dragged a small zinger behind the boat. He actually played, and we landed his first 2 coho!! He was so excited going nuts in the boat that they were both hatchery. He watched me release my first 4 or 5 coho because they were wild, so he was stoked that he was allowed to keep his, and i wasnt! this is what its all about, what a fun day we both had. The weather was unreal!!! I hope they stick around for a while, i wanna do that again!

what a day! My 6 yr old dragged a small zinger behind the boat. He actually played, and we landed his first 2 coho!! He was so excited going nuts in the boat that they were both hatchery. He watched me release my first 4 or 5 coho because they were wild, so he was stoked that he was allowed to keep his, and i wasnt! this is what its all about, what a fun day we both had. The weather was unreal!!! I hope they stick around for a while, i wanna do that again!

I give that one a farken EH!
th_cheers.gif

I'm surprised I am hearing nothing on the board here about all the springs that have been caught in the last 4-5 days...
emo-coffee.gif

I give that one a farken EH!
th_cheers.gif

I'm surprised I am hearing nothing on the board here about all the springs that have been caught in the last 4-5 days...
emo-coffee.gif

I hear the night bite is good lately

oh he's hooked lright. we just spent the last hour going through my tackle box, and he's learning all the names and colors. Army truck,glo,betsy gold, squirt, hootchie,zinger etc. I'll put up a pic of his first one for you guys.

Back