Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

I knew i had something backwards--I went for the pinks/coho first and then went after the springs. The first part of the plan worked out but not the second half! Lots of fun tho!
T2

YES good to see you out there Tom thanks for yelling at me and saying hi.....and saw sammy as well flying a KITE LOL LOL im sure he will post what that means later LOL LOL

Wolf

Good to see you out there too, Roy. I'm on holidays now til the last week of August so we'll be out more often. Don't lose all your dinero down in Lost Wages.
T2

Yep Roy, we had our mascot(cecil the seagull) out testing the updraft ,he's a little green but seems to be getting the hang of it...we've been trying to wean him off the pinks bc they give him diarrhoea...he earned his freedom today by putting us on too a couple of nice springs in short order...no pinks today:) but we did release a couple nice wild coho (8-10lbs)...sammy

There are lots of pinks for sure. Had fun with a couple manitobians tho. Had a few big males. One at 9lbs. One at 7lbs. All on chovy at 55-85. Great great orca show too. Right through line up at secretary. I'm guessing at least 50. Some bigguns. Roy still have that smoker?

By the way can u Sooke guys fishing pinks lay off the chovies;) ...arrived at the marina today & found they had squandered the works:(... had to resort to plan b & grab another option...sammy

By the way can u Sooke guys fishing pinks lay off the chovies;) ...arrived at the marina today & found they had squandered the works:(... had to resort to plan b & grab another option...sammy
lol - in anticipation (and the fact that there was supposedly no 10 packs on the island), I loaded a bunch up at River Sportsman in CR on my way through on the weekend. Consider myself lucky...may have to just scoop what I can of the remaining 8 packs around too. Didn't both earlier in the season as they thought the supply was supposed to be fine this year from early reports. Oops....

Crows had me up at 5 this morning, it was dead calm, so decided to play hookey from work. Looked to be perfect day for fishing but motor no go at the marina, so boat back on the trailer heading to town figuring we'd just go to work. Stopped in at S&G to see if I could leave the boat there, but they put a new ignition module in it while we waited and had us back out to Becher by noon. Big thanks to the guys at S&G. Round 2, nailed a beauty off the Trap only to loose it to a seal who dragged us into the kelp. Managed a 20 off Obrien around 2pm. Kept a token pink. Saw a few nice fish caught near the Trap this afternoon and a guy had one around 30 he got off the Head at 8:30.

LOL LOL
and that was only about 20 boats try that in that current with 50 boats I hate it i timed it the other day it toook 44 mins in a 2 kt flood to go from the point to the "purple" house which is now pumpkin orange??? WTH...and 7 mins on the way back down it doesnt tkae a rocket scientist to figure what to do rule of thumb "RIGHT ROD TO SHORE" or up on the insdie down on the out it makes it SOOOOO much easier if guys would do this and ill give you a tidbit to ponder Ive gotten a lot of springs way out in that 150/170 mark where do you think the fish come in from????? its only 7 mins out of your day to let the other have the inside tact, common courtesy goes a long way in my books out there.
If you dont give me any i wont give it back plain and simple. here are a few out there just just dont get it!!! that old fart in the double header boat is really starting to anoy people out there ALOT so if you know him PLEASE tell him to pay more attention. I cant say what my buddy said to him the other day but it wasnt pretty...

Good luck out there boys back in a week....

Wolf

Last fall I was surprized when we hooked, landed and released a 21 lb. Coho off Sooke. I was just as surprized when we hooked and played an 8 1/2 lb pink salmon off Sooke on July 9th. Initially targeting springs, we ended our day's fishing in 2 hours after 8 pinks. Oh well. Save the Chinook for another day.

I just look for a clear area that's holding fish & do donuts until the killings over ;) lol ... decided to hug the reef where it drops off most of the fish came close or near the bottom.I think ppl.(double header) who fish alone have some sort of a social problem ;) lol or maybe just pretends he isn't paying attention:confused:

...sammy

Last edited by a moderator:
This comes up every summer doesn't it. Usually when catching has slowed down though.

Is the "right rod to shore" a written rule or just wishfull thinking, can anyone confirm that? Last year's Consultants Derby Sheringham going right rod to shore went between two boats maybe 10ft on each side (you know who you are LOL) but what else can you do my boat does not like reefs Lol Glad we didnt tangle our ****.

Sometimes even a planned tac wil go to hell just because of the crap in the water, everyone avoiding it is pushing your tac off etc etc Just got to remember fishing is suppose to be fun not a heart stopper. Its always nicer fishing away from all the boats, makes one wonder why is fish hanging around where trolling motors must make a hell of a noise down bellow and all the flashers zooming by are disrupting their natural habitat. Guess theyre not that smart.

The weather looks gorgeous for the week, lucky you guys that can go out.
cheers

Was off of Sooke today. Not alot going on over all but a couple small bites got us 4 springs in the box and lots another one which was part of a double. all on choes and flashers from 55 to 80 ft deep. Could not find a pink today for the life of me, they have moved on?? ah wait a day or two i guess..

Dont be knockin the solo guys out there! Did a one-man show at Church on sunday. When the pinks ran through and I couldn't keep a line down in the water I moved out of the traffic. Steering the boat,playing the fish, clearing the lines and trying to net it by yourself is a huge task!
Ended up with a mid teen spring at first light and 2 pinks over seven pounds. Out of the twenty I played I dont think a one was under seven.
Consistent sockeye hookups further offshore too. Sure be nice if they made up their mind on them before they are gone.

On a side note, all the fish had 4.5 inch herring in their bellies. Good to see that much bait around

haha. Bad time of year to run out ya think? I might suggest keeping some packs on reserve this time of year. Was using chovy in hopes that I would find some springs out there. The pinks were just incidental catch.

Dont be knockin the solo guys out there! Did a one-man show at Church on sunday. When the pinks ran through and I couldn't keep a line down in the water I moved out of the traffic. Steering the boat,playing the fish, clearing the lines and trying to net it by yourself is a huge task!
Ended up with a mid teen spring at first light and 2 pinks over seven pounds. Out of the twenty I played I dont think a one was under seven.
Consistent sockeye hookups further offshore too. Sure be nice if they made up their mind on them before they are gone.

On a side note, all the fish had 4.5 inch herring in their bellies. Good to see that much bait around

bob i'm not knocking guys who choose to fish solo, i fished solo many times...i've seen ppl who only fish with their dog as long as they are part of the solution & not the problem you're good to go...fish on dude :cool:

p.s bob your a good study match the hatch maybe they should buy some herring;)...sammy

How much for extra freezer burn?? :D

I know they are not yours

Hey look someone has been reading my posts ...let's see freeze dried herring (vintage year)no need to salt...will sell lot or by the doz...sammy

Crazy time of year to fish! At least I was catching today! Few springs, coho and pinks all at 30 to 40 feet today. Was a great day and fished myself out of bait, if you get a chance get out there and have fun!

Mike

Back