Sooke Reports - Fall and Winter 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parking was looking like a problem..... Full sized truck w/trailer for your boat might be tight. They built the ramp way out, almost out to first fingers of Jocks. Where it should never be dry.

There is a gate now into the Jocks dock field. The ramp is free but parking at Jocks will be pay as far as I know (which it should be)

I'm going to have a peek tomorrow, Haven't seen it since the first pilings were going in after the ramp was poured.

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting ... so if theres no good parking at the new launch .. then basically all the new launch does is make launching less sketchy at low tide, and open up two ramps if its high. As i believe the parking fee at jocks is the same as launching and parking ??

Looks like a great ramp, but very little parking, so useless in the summer when the crowds will exceed the capacity in 15 minutes. Never could figure out how the town ever thought a hotel which sell a good nights sleep in a quiet room could co-exist beside a ramp with diesel trucks and red necks yelling abouthe previous days fishing at 4am. If you owned the hotel would you provide 75 to 100 spaces for noisy 4-5am traffic?

If you owned the hotel would you provide 75 to 100 spaces for noisy 4-5am traffic?

Nope.... Don't blame them either.

The funny thing is that the next stink in council will be all the vehicles parking on Sooke road blocking the walkers...... Wait for it

The parking is along the side of the hotel. I think there's 40 spots in total, 20 for trailers. That seems about the same as for Jock's ... can't recall there being more than 20 spots there for trailers. So same difference. Plus Jock's remains open if people want to pay the $10.

Me? I'm stoked ... free community ramp has been on the wish list for years in Sooke.

[PS but yes, agree about the diesel trucks at 4am and rednecks yelling ... that's a tough one for a nice quality hotel. Hope they put in super deluxe soundproofing!]

As i believe the parking fee at jocks is the same as launching and parking ??

Eldon,Vinny and Ma are(should) laughing right now... Right now launch is $10 and a park is $5. I hope they make a park $10 ( cause they had a hard enough time keeping up with their own traffic)

While it is nice... it will be a cluster F come JDF derby weekend I think

Juandesooka, jocks doesn't have the parking capacity because they don't need it. The ramp isn't good enough to attract the crowds that once frequented the old Sooke Harbour Marina public ramp. Weekend crowds at the old marina often used to over flow up to the road after 60 to 80 vehicles and trailers filled their lot. If you go down to Cheanuh you'll see where all that traffic has gone. The new ramp with its limited parking won't be attracting them back anytime soon. Who wants to get up and feel like it is a race to the ramp to get a place to park?

I really miss the old Sooke Harbour Marina launch, nice launch, close proximity to the spit, short run to otter. Can you imagine the hotel guests reactions with the new launch with boats and trucks every morning at the crack of dawn.

A ramp @ the old W.F.P dryland sort would've served Sooke better =:)

The problem is that ever since Sooke got sewers, all the waterfront properties are now worth to much money to make into parking lots for trucks and boat trailers.

Anyone out for winters at the trailer park or further east (wirl bay)? Thinking that I feel a sore throat coming on (cough) and figure the only cure is getting out for some fresh meat. Any reports would be apriciated!

whirl bay has been good this past weekend,,,they are deep,,down the bottom,,a guy caught a 15 lb winter out there on sunday at 180feet,,

Oh my throat (insert cough sound here). No way I can go into work and spread these horrible germs around!

SHHHHH there is no free launch in sooke. To launch in Sooke it costs $50 plus another $10/hr if your vehicle is parked over 2 hours. Cheanuh is and always will be the place to launch.

Now that we have that issue clarified, can anyone pm me the address of the new free launch in sooke? :D

It is for Sooke residents only
emo-coffee.gif

Winter Chinooks off Sooke

When should I give it a try off the Sooke Bluffs/Trailer Park area for the winters? Are they there in any numbers yet? Anyone who's been out care to post a report?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back