Sooke Reports - Fall and Winter 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
How was fishing? After storms they often move even deeper.

Anyone planning on using the new ramp today in Sooke. As of last evening there is a upside down boat across the foot of it and has been there for a couple of days. Makes launching difficult to impossible will need to move it first.

Yea it was almost as flat as glass out there and the fishing didn't disappoint either! Too many double headers to count and just on fire from first light till 930 when I left. Played countless fish and kept 4 between 5-10 pounds. The boat thats sunk and blocking the new dock is a pain in the butt, someone has to get that outta the way, almost impossible to launch!

Had a slow start today. Didn't get out till 1030. There were about a half dozen or so boats out. Talked to one guy that I passed going out and he said he only caught one. It was pretty slow day for me too till around 2. Decided that since there was nothing going on that we were going to pack it in and check the crab traps. Made a slight turn to head back and the port rod had a hit. Hauled in a nice 5 maybe 6lb spring. Nothing huge but a nice fish. After I got it on board I was just finished putting the net back in its' holder when the stbd side had a hit. Reeled in a nice 10-11lber. Nothing else after that. All in all it was a nice day no wind and the water was like glass with a slight swell the fish were just a bonus.

Finally got out to try for the winters today, after engine service and many windy days kept us ashore. Weather wise it was a beauty. However, trolled from Bluffs to Otter point and back over 3.5 hours and had just one strike which we missed. Tried 140 feet to 200 feet with anchovies, spoons and hootchies but nada. Finally around lunch time came right in to 110 feet of water off Bluffs, almost in harbour mouth. Had four strikes there with only two to the boat and only one keeper of 5lb. Maybe it is us or maybe it is too soon for the decent winters......??

Anyone been fishing Pedder Bay area lately? I just got an unexpected break in work and was thinking of making the trip over to try for a few of those early winter springs.

Would I be better off heading over past Race Rocks or staying in Whirl Bay or Pedder bay?

Cheers!

Sea Ranger, had a couple of traps down in Pedder bay. Only caught one, a male Dungeness, was legal size but let it go. The wife was talking to the guy in the shack and he was saying they are pretty spotty right now and not too many being caught. The one I did have was heavy for it's weight and the legs were hard so the quality is there. Just hoping that in a couple of more weeks it will pick up.

English..... You were fishing your gear right on the bottom, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
English..... You were fishing your gear fight on the bottom right?

Pretty much tried to keep within 5-10 foot of bottom anyway LR, 'cept when we were in 200 feet of water when I had it at 180..... Actual bottom bouncing the ball makes me nervous.....:cool:

That's a good spot to do it.... Whole lotta sand in that area.
I like to keep the release clip 5-7ft up from the lead to keep the weed off the gear. Then proceed to skip at least one lead along the bottom, get a lot of strikes that way.

just a guess but 150 on the sounder is like 175-190 on the downrigger

Hey LR,

We went back to the same area this morning and fished in 115 feet of water. This time I tried to keep the lures more consistently to the bottom (even bounced once or twice :cool: and it seemed to make a difference. Bites came in bursts, mostly on army truck hootch - Boated 4 fish of 5lb, 6lb, 8lb and 9lb (two clipped) including a double header!

So thx very much for the guidance you provided! :cool:

Also I checked the blow back curves here:-
http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org/forum/downrigger-line-drag-t27.html

Using 12lb balls and speeds of 2 to 2.5 knots seems pretty linear, which is consistent with our experience. Seems we gotta go faster, lighter, or fish deeper before having to let out significantly more DR line than depth on Lowrance.......

Some good eats there English.. Good job

Don't be afraid to speed up on the winters too.

My hubby got off early and went fishing with a buddy. Trailer Park, lines in @ 1pm, four in the boat in 1 1/2 hours. two on my last two anchovy, two on his favourite hootchie, blue with one leg of pink, big single hook. caught in 140-160 ft near the bottom. Two were smaller, the other two pushing 8 pounds. He said flat calm and sunny.
@#!! I had to work!

Xena

Off Sooke bluffs for a few hours today in about +- 100 feet, on bottom. Constant action for first couple of hours but released all to grow bigger. Bummer cuz no keeper crab either.

My hubby got off early and went fishing with a buddy. Trailer Park, lines in @ 1pm, four in the boat in 1 1/2 hours. two on my last two anchovy, two on his favourite hootchie, blue with one leg of pink, big single hook. caught in 140-160 ft near the bottom. Two were smaller, the other two pushing 8 pounds. He said flat calm and sunny.
@#!! I had to work!

Xena

Thx for your post Xena. Not many folks posting so far this winter 'cept you and me. Could be not many going out yet. On Tuesday there was only one other boat out there, so that could be the reason. Anyway tight lines and I hope to catch a fish of the same calibre as your 17lb Coho one day!!

Thx for your post Xena. Not many folks posting so far this winter 'cept you and me.

I am going to take a bunch of salmon out of the freezer this weekend... then smoke it.

Then I will have room (not for feeders as they are pretty much munched fresh)... for the next batch of halis..

Hate to break it to ya English but the first day of winter is still 3 weeks away..... :)

If the weather cooperates I have a couple of full days to put in the middle of next week. So I'll have some news. Might pop out once on the weekend to pre-fish if I get all the Christmas lights up on one of the days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back