Sooke Reports - Fall and Winter 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished 550 ft off otter on the tideline deeper than the main cluster of boats, decent size school all at 63ft, we kept 4, returned 2, and lost 2 beside the boat (one net job and one bent hook). 9.5lb largest keeper, with another about same size that bent the hook on the bucktail. Headed along the tideline past secretary and saw guys had been catching there. Ripped past up to Beechey head/Beecher bay out on the 450ft area and marked a large school at 45ft but no bites, then got another hatch at 62ft. Green and glow. pearl glow. green and silver. lots of tinsel flash. Fun on the old fly rod. Good luck tomorrow.

Nice fish Xena. Anyway looking foward to reading all the posts this winter. Put the boat away for the winter. Good luck everyone. Keep the awesome reports coming. I am glad everyone is reporting on lures, Depth and where the fish are. It is nice to see we are helping each other instead of bitching on this forum. Keep the reports coming and good luck to everyone.

Fished 7:30-11:30 this morning out west.
Hit about a doz coho. Kept 2- 10lb wild and 1- 5lb hatch.
Glow white and green hootchies and UV white hootchies. 60-90 ft

Tips

Fished out from Beechy 500+ today 8-2. Six ho's 3 wild, 3 hatch, largest 14.5, all on white hootchy or green/white flashtail, 50-90'. Fish were in pockets, would go hour without bite, then boom boom, had four in 1/2hr. One double header and also one fish on 2 rods (one rod in mouth, the other had him by the tail)

"mint tulip knockin them out all day!!!!! " That's been our most successful hootchie for the past few weeks.
T2

Quick question......what rivers are the wild and hatchery coho heading for as they pass by Sooke ? Thanks. Cloud

A lot of them will be some kind of Fraser trib Coho. A bunch of them will be Sooke River ones. Some will head for Puget Sound rivers and a few may be Cowichan fish. And of course there are still a few small streams with small Coho pops throughout the south coast, sunshine coast and Wash. State.

Three of us at dawn to 1:00 pm fished 500 to 600 ft water between the head and secretary. Nice bite for the first hour, quiet for a while then a bit of a bit later. glow pearl hotchies 100 +/- feet. Three wilds, two hatches and a 4 large wild releases. Small spring released any only two coho shakers. Flat calm
sunny day , awesome weather.

Fished 8-12 and had 10 nice Coho to the boat. 4 nice Coho 8-10 lbs released the rest. Like Maula said the action was great for the 1st hour then slowed down. Then about 1 hour later it picked up and started only getting wilds so packed it in. Beauty day out there.

Fished off the head from 9 until noon for a dozen wild to the boat--kept 3 from 8-12 lbs but couldn't scratch up a hatchery--what a great day!
T2

Fished noon till 3:30, started at the bluffs in about 180 foot of water. Trolled otter and back, stayed in closer, 150-350ft of water. 62ft down kept producing hits, over a dozen fish, only got two to the boat ;( Flat calm, sunny and warn. The fish were a bonus!

o yea, glow hooch out fished all my other gear.

Anyone else notice the large numbers of comercial guys heading out? Any idea what they were going to go target, and where??

forgot to add to my sunday report, i fished one rod with a dummy flasher and that was catching 5 to 1 to the rod that did not have a dummy flasher.

marula were you fishing one rod with a dummy flasher and the other rod with no flasher, or an inline flasher on the other side?

Or did you have a dummy and inline on one side and inline on the other?

I played around with a dummy flasher this summer. It was hard to say if it outfished the side with the inline flasher or not. Both caught fish but it was sure fun getting the fish without a flasher. Stopped mid way through the summer after a few tangles decided to keep it inline during the bite me derby and never went back to a dummy. I might play with it again next year.

Weather was still good so went out again today. Fished from 8:15 am to 1:00pm in 500 feet of water S.E. of Otter. The first two hours were very busy and had 8 solid hits. Got 5 fish to the boat and kept two wildies and one hatch (finally)! 9lbs, 7lbs and 6lb hatch. All fish taken were on anchovy and teaser head at 120’ . Nothing stuck on the hootchie side.

Everything ceased at 10:15 am and we never got another bite, despite some searching.

(The 7lb fish came in like a wet blanket and was pretty fat. The answer was found on the cleaning table. It had three 6 inch herring in its stomach, still pretty much intact. I think it was too full to fight, like people after Thanksgiving turkey dinner…….!!)

marula were you fishing one rod with a dummy flasher and the other rod with no flasher, or an inline flasher on the other side?

Hey Jockey, one side was usual setup with flasher and hootchie and the other side had a flasher only off the cannon ball with a 5 ft tag line and 5 feet up i clipped on my fishing line with standard flasher and hootchie set up. Not sure if that setup caught more overall for the boat or that it just drew the fish to that line from the other rod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back