Sooke Reports - Fall and Winter 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW LOOK at englishman go!!!! soon to be a high liner LOL

Well managed a few nice ones today bggest about 10 lbs and yet again another big chum LOL LOL
60 to 90 was my depths as well.

Good luck in the derby guys im butchering the moose we got tommorow am .

Good luck to everyone involved...

Wolf

Out yesterday, fished from 150ft to 500ft. Was not furious action by any means but we did land 2 Wild 7lbs and 1 hatchery 6 lbs. All were on the inside in about 150ft of water. It was an alright day bumpy to begin and started to calm out. Fished 7am to 12:30, caught 10 fish, 3 keeps, tons of grills. you need to check your lines often.

WOW LOOK at englishman go!!!! soon to be a high liner LOL

Well managed a few nice ones today bggest about 10 lbs and yet again another big chum LOL LOL
60 to 90 was my depths as well.

Good luck in the derby guys im butchering the moose we got tommorow am .

Good luck to everyone involved...

Wolf

Good one Wolf. :cool: Yeah, one day I will be a highliner, in like another 10 years!! LOL
Anyway, Coho are not the same as those very elusive summer Chinook. Looking forward to next summer when, who knows, I may pass the next milestone and even catch two on a single day! LOL

Meanwhile I will practice on those winters later on, which seem to be a bit catchable even for this beginner.......:cool:

Out yesterday 1st drop to 88' produced a 15lb coho for a more than excited guest from Hong Kong...wasn't fast & furious by any means,breaching Humpback were an added bonus for those who saw!...:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx E.M...last report he was smilling all the way back to Hong Kong...:)

Well I am a little dissapointed in everyone there was a derby yesterday yet hardly any reports?

I headed out this morning from 8-12:30 out of cheanuh expecting it to be a bit slow. Got 7 keepers and lucky for us 3 hatchery so we only had to release one fish. It was slow in the morning but I think it was more not being ontop of the fish than no bite. We got 1 first thing, another an hour or so later and then bang bang bang circled a kelp pile to get the rest. Bigger fish than last weekend with a 10lb average and one teener. 6 of 7 fish on an army truck hoochie at Wayne Gretzky's faveorite depth just off the bedfords. Doubt I will get out again good luck to everyone who does.

Fished this morning, left the dock by 8, started trolling in 120ft of water and kept heading out. Hooked two right away, lost one. Both befor first tide line. 33 ft down, green spoon. Then headed out to 600+ ft. Got one more in about 400ft of water 75 foot down, with a glow hooch. Both fish wild, first 6lb second 7.5lb
Not a trophy day, but i''v had worse!

Out on Monday. Lot of shakers inside that absolutely wicked tide line. Almost impossible to negotiate your way through. Hoochies with white producing. 50 - 80 feet down shakers more shallow. Hos from 350 out to 550 Very quiet after 1045.

Fished 8:30am to 1:30pm today. Sunny day but a bit breezy by the end.

Slower, but the fish are still there. At least 30 other boats scattered from Beechy almost down to Otter.

Had 7 bites in all and got 3 to the boat. Kept one 9lb and the other 6lb – released a little 3lb’der. Only got one other to the surface before he came off – the rest all long distance releases.

Fish very deep for Coho. All bites came at 150-170’ on rigger with most at 150’, in 200 to 400’ of water south of Secretary.

We fished today 0730 hrs to 1200 hrs, lot of action and bigger fish (10lb+-) for us today. We land 15+ fish and kept 6 (3&3) and lost 10+ fish 30' from the boat. We also hooked into lots of 8" springs
We fished closer to Otter point in 500+' of water. 90% of our fish were 65' to 50'
12 pac bait in glow heads worked the best or the green and white squirts.

The fish are still there and the weather outlook is good, get out there.

Very interesting reports... I took my dad out this morning for a few hours.. 8am-11am started out right off of Secretary in 500-550' feet of water.. started hitting fish right away,
at 106 ft. and 95ft. (15lb. balls/side rods) got all the fish.. back rod working 40-60 ft. did not get one hit all morning.. 11 Coho to the boat and 4 other hits, all smaller fish today about 6-7 pounds.. nothing big.. kept one hatchery and a 7lb and a 6lb. wild. One hatchery out of the 11 Coho... The ebb current pushed us north half way to Otter.. we were the only boat fishing in our area.. I counted 4-5 boats closer to Otter point in around 500' in line where we were.. Interesting to hear different reports from different locations but all close to each other... sounds like bigger fish were holding a bit farther up near Otter ... I got the binoculars out.. saw about 3 boats fishing tighter in along the Trap shack area, 2 boats fishing in shallower from where we were .. From Otter to as far as I could see to Beachy I counted about 10 boats fishing... there were a lot of commercial boats traveling south some traveling very slowly.. that looked like they were fishing.. but they weren't they were traveling... When we left the breeze had started to pick up...
lots of small shakers also, check your gear often... cleaning the fish I noticed they are getting very ripe.. not sure how much longer they will be around before they head for the river..
enjoy them now while there still here..

We fished 0730 hrs to 1200 today and there is still lots of action at 50' - 70' in 500'+ feet of water. Green and white squirts worked the best.

More shakers today than yesterday and the Coho landed today were also smaller.

Finally get out there ... fished 11-3, bluffs to otter. Kept one hatchery, one wild, both probably 6 pounds or so. Threw back another couple nice wilds, bigger than the one I kept. :) Bunch of shakers too.

Fish caught at 75-90' in 400ft depth. Equal hits on army truck hootchie and baitrix strip purple haze.

Kelp gong show in tide line before Otter. East wind was a little ugly coming back.

There you go, a fishing trip!

Fished 9:30-10:30 off Otter Pt, 500ft of water, 1 wild (6lb) @ 55 ft, 1 hatch (6lb) @ 120 ft,and the fish of the day............17 lb!! I thought it was folklore those Northerns! Both wilds on Silver Betsy flasher with long leader glow head anchovy, hatchery on Silver Betsy flasher and Glow below Hootchie.
I would just like to say that I read the forum every day, listen to the experts and apply what you report to make my day on the water successful. Thanks guys, I really appreciate your experience and like the Englishman, hope to someday get the results that you get. My first post, so if I can figure out how to post the photo, I will!! Xena

My Northern

I hope this worked, my 17 lb Northern, caught off Otter Pt, 500 ft of water, 120 ft deep, glow head anchovy.

Attachments

• IMG_1242.jpg
    IMG_1242.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 213
Saw that 17 pounder.....nice fish ! We were out from 11 to 3. Secretary to Otter. Worked hard for 3 coho.....all 6 pounders. Army Truck hootchie....130 feet.....in 400-450 feet of water worked best.

Cloud

Indeed very nice work Xena! Pretty impressive first post!!

Went out this afternoon on the spur of the moment. Fished 2pm to 4 pm in 400 feet water off Otter. Got 5 or 6 bites. Boated two wild coho of 6lb and 8lb on anchovy and of all things, a 12lb chum on a purple haze glow hootchie. All bites came at 75 feet.
A bit choppier than forecast this afternoon, but not bad for 2 hours work!. LOL
(For some reason we had zero shakers today).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back