Sooke Reports - Fall and Winter 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished Perry bay - whirl bay on saturday. No luck for us but I did see a good gong show.

Anyone on here want to fess up as the boat who tried to scoop a small fish, missed and put their net into the kicker prop? That would be an oh **** moment if ever there was one! Despite the major mistake they recovered well the net was left tangled and the fish got a quick strike from the gaf and was in the boat.

I'm not sure if the kicker was in gear when it happened but it took them a little while to get the net free so it probably was and I think I saw some snips to cut the mesh. Not sure what I would prefer, a skunk in the boat or a net in the prop lol tough call but I think I'd take the fish. After all fishing isn't supposed to be easy!

Maybe somebody on the boat will tell us the real story I was only watching from a distance.

Bahahahhaha! Glad you like that one Jockey. I have no problem admitting that I am better with a gaff than a net. Not much more to tell, you nailed it on the head. Equally enteraining up close as from a distance. We all had a good laugh on that one. I'm not even going to try to blame the two rooks I had on board. If you can't laugh at yourself then you take life too seriously. I'm sure I would have felt different if I had got into trouble as a result. No harm no foul. Like you say a couple snips was the worst of the damage and the fish made it in the boat. Lucky though. Another one of those moments when you get a little cocky and try to do something when you know better. The little Kamakazi was going for the prop and I thought I was quicker than the fish.... ya right! Humbling experience. Let me tell you how good it tasted tonight however. Love that pesto feta number posted a couple months back. Give a wave next time you need a net jammed into your kicker :) All jokes aside, always listen to your gut guys. I told myself not to try it as I did it.

net in motor

way to fess up to that mess shepnoir,takes a good man to admit things like that,i'm sure we have all had our misshaps out there on the water,i know i sure have

when I was 12 I got the hooks caught in the net on a spring in the trap the would have won the bite me derby and lost it for my Dad. Lets just say I felt as good as dead after that.

everyone makes mistakes. Fishing wouldent be as fun as it is if there wasent so many things to go wrong!

-Steve

LOL. I lost more lead cannon balls yesterday in 1hr than I have in the last 3 years. Fool me once, shame on you downrigger........fool me two, three times.... shame on me. Got her fixed now
Thats fishing sometimes..... and we were skunked to boot. I blamed it on the full moon:)

the bottom is fine and that's where the winters usually are--snug to the bottom. Good luck.
T2

There's a couple of bumps right off Christopher Point one comes up to 85 ft a real ball grabber,other then that your good to go right in the mud ,bait and coho killer green silver have been working

Set one at 127feet and the other at 132 feet in 150 of water,use hookies ,and spoons but some people do bother with bait ,its more work and harder to let fish go,5.5 apex is very good I'v caught hundred of fish over the years with these depth. Goodluck boomer

The one thing I really noticed is the fish were really really schooling. All our hits and hook ups were in two very distinct areas in Whirl last Saturday. Mr. 5, feel free to PM for details but my bet is it would change day to day with the movment of bait and associated currents. Its a great bottom to drag. Just watch those a$$hats jamming nets into your kicker. :)

Fished 8:30 till 1:00 pm Bluffs to Otter and back. NADA. A.k.a. a big zero today. Eight or nine boats out there but we never saw a net in the water. I agree with other observations on this thread - winter fishing is very slow this year and much worse than last year.

You guys need to start getting some fish.... The seals are hungry...... and quite happy to smash crab traps for a meal :mad:

going to go out to secretary tomorrow with rook to see if we can catch ourselves a few winters,,so far our luck has been very poor,,we usually fish bedfords and whirl bay with no luck,,i have lost more cannonn balls this year than normal,,that dam reef over by the bedfords,,i call it casteration point,,i feel like i am contaminating the ocean with all my lead down there,,anyways tomorrow is another day and i am determined to catch a few tomorrow,,i will let you know how it goes

You guys need to start getting some fish.... The seals are hungry...... and quite happy to smash crab traps for a meal :mad:
Lippy, I reckon there ARE no fish there. R.S. Craven was skunked yesterday as well (on Victoria thread). If an expert like him can't catch one then no one can, let alone a little old Englishman!! LOL

From 9 till noon we fished out front of the Sooke harbour and down to the trailer park in 110' to 130' depth.
Retained 4 fish 24-25", release 3 fish 20-23"and long line lost two. No seals for us today but they were there..
The fish were holding 5 feet off bottom and squires out fished bait 6 to 3.
Most of our fish were caught going (west) with the fast tide flow.

I also saw other boats netting fish and talked to guys that had fish.

went out to beecher bay yesterday,went directly over to other side of secretary,got 1 six pounder in the boat and had 2 other hits,fished there for about 3 hours then after we untangled out lines from fishing in the rip tide we went over into beecher bay,fished the flag pool and on our second turn thru we picked up a nice fiesty 12 lb winter,,great battle,then we went over to check our crab traps and got 8 large dungy's,,great day on the water,,

out from 7.30 to 12.30 fished from secratery to otter, 7 fish to the boat , kept two about 8lbs, and released a Hali about 20lbs, bouncing bottom with hootchies and the hali was the only hit on Bait... Good Day Driller

Driller, where was the "the bottom" for you? We fished the bottom with hootchies from 140' to 170' in the same area on Saturday and got zero hits. Maybe we were too deep, I dunno, although we did not see any nets in the water either.

Driller, where was the "the bottom" for you? We fished the bottom with hootchies from 140' to 170' in the same area on Saturday and got zero hits. Maybe we were too deep, I dunno, although we did not see any nets in the water either.
Eman I'm back in town!..perhaps I could be of service? P/M me...
Cheers..sammy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back