Sooke, quick answer please

hiroshi

Want to fish Sooke but, weather forecast Gale Warning in the eastern straits all this week. See fishing reports showing good catches. Is the weather really that bad or can someone fish it.

if that is your boat in the pic, you will be fine! Anything smaller than 19' will be uncomfortable (I see its over 30 knots right now at Race, but that isn't the norm). Expect pretty nasty afternoons, but fishable mornings.

Use Big Wave Dave's website which is what i did the last two weeks while i was there and found it really accurate and great indicator of the upcoming days. http://bigwavedave.ca/ go by the Gordon Beach wind forecasts. There's also two webcams to show what it looks like out there and current wind speed. 10 knot forecasts or less we found it to be really comfortable out there even in our 17' boat. 15 starts getting rough and tossed around. Looking at the forecast the next few days are looking great.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Looks like the other half wants to wait til Wed. to be sure. Learned from hard knocks not to do otherwise. BTW, the boat looks bigger then it is. LWL 30ft.

Hiroshi If you are who I think you are. I have seen your boat up at Ucluelet I think, you will be fine on must days.

Thanks Casper? I haven't been up there for two years because last year, I popped my hip out again and had to have it redone. This year, I made it to Neah Bay, had an issue with reverse, went back to Everett to find out it was just an adjustment. Damn these electronic controls. Then it was nothing but, Gale Warnings in the central and eastern straits for three days straight. Keep me at the dock. Gonna give it a try again next year with some luck. If I make it, come by and introduce yourself. Be happy to share info.

Hi Hiroshi,
We motored our boat to Ucluelet for a month of fishing. I scheduled my dates by the lowest amounts of tidal flows. We departed Everett June 25th and returned July 25. Both dates had the lease amount of water moving between tides. This proved to be a good plan, we had glassy calm seas all the way. We made it to Neah bay at slack tide, refueled and headed for headed for Ukee on the ebb tide. We were able to average 28 knot’s the entire way.

Hi Hiroshi,
We motored our boat to Ucluelet for a month of fishing. I scheduled my dates by the lowest amounts of tidal flows. We departed Everett June 25th and returned July 25. Both dates had the least amount of water moving between tides. This proved to be a good plan, we had glassy calm seas all the way. We made it to Neah bay at slack tide, refueled and headed for headed for Ukee on the ebb tide. We were able to average 28 knot’s the entire way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back