Sooke Coho

trips a no go now. They are forcasting 20kts and my boats in the garage and my buddy doesnt wanna get tossed around in his[xx(]

Same as above in the spoon , cop car ; and I like the yellow/green /silver one also , plus I use a yellow/green 4inch Apex towed behind 40 ins of leader.
In hootchies I like the army truck and the yellow fever besides the all white or glow white , dance them at 34 to 36 inch leader length and use 40lb test to stiffen up the snap in the action.

AL

Ahoy, Striperjack! What lures were you using? I tried pink hootchie, Cop Car Apex, blue Fox spoon, party girl spoon and got totally skunked! thanks!

Try watermellon, or green/white coyote spoons or bait with chrome heads.
The coho seem to be in small pockets out there and are tough to locate. Stick near the tide lines and try lots of depths.
I hit fish from 50-90 ft and on a mix of gear. I would keep a watermelon spoon out there at all times.

Tips

We went out yesterday for a couple hours, found a couple small ones. 70' in 400' of water off Sooke, bait, army truck vinyl.

I used a coho special flasher with a 4.0 coyote spoon, which is purple/green with black dots...seems to work well for me (my son bought if for xmas, and I thought no way is that gonna work)...but it does, and the other was purple/gold flasher with a 4.0 coyote wonderbread.
I also tried bait got 2 good hits on gold betsy with a green teaser head

Any action around Sooke during the last couple of days? Thinking in going tomorrow.

Well, I was about 2 miles off Beechy with two friends and we brought in 2 coho, both below 10 pounds and wild. We started at 9 AM, and we had the first one oboard at 09:35 and the second one around 10:30. No other salmon strikes (except for a shaker), but we saw a few boats around bringing fish in. We got them trolling at 70' and 85' on Coyote spoons: a 4" green and nickel, and a 6" nickel and prizm and between 500'-600' bottom depth, using a green and a purple flashers. Trolling speed varied depending on the currents. We also jigged for bottom fish in the afternoon closer to the shore and got a few nice rock fish, but no hali.

The weather was fantastic, virtually no wind and a bit cloudy in the morning but sunny in the afternoon.

Islanderguy, thank you for the tips.

Fished from 8:30 to 11:30 went way out in the freighter lanes,nothing,nada,came back in 500 feet off Secretary all over in 10 minutes 63 feet and 83 feet anchovie and army truck hootchie FAST troll.DAN

Trolled 11:00 to 2:00pm off beechey about 2 miles out ....
the usual spoons , couldn't find them today. released one small winter spring. huge herring ball in about 250' lots of sealife but,
no ho's [V]

Lastchance,

How is your new rig coming? I hope you're going to post some pictures as it progresses.

I was out monday of last week and picked up a 15 lb spring off secatary isl. on bottom on a jdf head large herring,and then made it out fri. morning picked up one 16 lb wild ho and then a 9 lber hatch at 41' deep green flasher medium herring in a jdf head chrome green.cheers M.T.[:p]

Back