sooke beech fishing

Otter pt. I've heard of guys fishing Sheringham from the rocks too..

Otter point, 2nd rock at Gordon's Beech, Beechey Head but fish into the bay, preferably on the small rocky slipper at front right hadn side of bay.

Looked at website and I have fished all but Sidney. Someone told me recently that you cannot gain access to the ninth tee at Victoria Golf course any more.

These are Not in Sooke except Otter

In my youth took a lot of salmon off Ten Mile Point including lots of big Chinook in the summer especially on tide changes. Sting Zildas and Buzz Bombs. A buddy of mine was messing around with a stupid bass plug on the surface and got one in the low 30's.
The one problem with it is the kelp if it is not being cleared out a little by lots of fishing. You have to get it out far and fish deep. It is a series of rock shelfs and if you touch the bottom you often loose your lure so you learn to count, cast up and sink and drift down with the current and retrive quickly when you get in close.
When you were alowed to keep blue backs it was amazing in Jan. and Feb. - all from the Bellingham Hatchery. In blue back season there would be over a hundred guys fishing. Now they only allow parking for about 5 cars.

Also try

The Victoria Breakwater is OK in late summer.

The little bay beside the Oak Bay Marina when there are needle fish in there has produced some nice Chinook.

As for Otter there is the main spot but also follow the point arount to the east to a Nice Rock facing the Bay that worked well for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I drove out to Sheringham last summer and it was heavily fenced because of the light house I guess. I found one spot to go under not sure if youd get kicked out if they found you in there. Its a long walk down the hill which wouldnt be so bad but if you caught a decent fish it would be a long walk back up. There might be another way in. Didnt try to hard. Theres a road that shows up on my gps that looks good but is not active any more.

Beechy head I walked right past the first time. Second time way to much debris in the water. Which there always seems to be when ive hiked past there. Your pulling seaweed off your line every cast basically same at lots of places tho. Landing a fish there would be hard because of the rocks.

Gordans beach is nice only can get to second rock at low tide. I heard its good. Was always reeeealy windy so you have to use a pretty heavy lure.

Only had luck down from shore was at the Spit which is hard because everyone in snagging and spooking fish plus there not really feeding. All places worth a try. I did alot of 'fish stalking' last year. :) Not having a boat and being addicted to salmon fishing sucks big time.

Goodstuff Rockfish! Ya you lose alot of lures. I went with with 40lb test so I could bend my hooks of the rocks if I had to. Got sick of losing lures. 40 was to heavy when I wanted to go with lighter lure and you lose distance so am thinking of going braided..

Back in the 80's I used to hike out to Beechy Head early (in the dark) so I could be the first one there and pick the best spot. Did it a dozen times or more before I gave up; never caught dick but an occaisional rockfish or doggie. Did get a mackeral once. Turned out to be a very expensive proposition as I'd lose at least a half-dozen lures or more. My set up could cast for a mile and sometimes I'd find great sport in launching one out after a boat trolled by too close to see if I could hook me a boat. I worked with another carpenter back then who told me he made the newspaper some years earlier when he hooked a 50-lb spring off the rocks at the head. A guy in a boat netted it for him.

Goodstuff Rockfish! Ya you lose alot of lures. I went with with 40lb test so I could bend my hooks of the rocks if I had to. Got sick of losing lures. 40 was to heavy when I wanted to go with lighter lure and you lose distance so am thinking of going braided..

Lots of good memories of fishing Salmon off Ten Mile Point when I was in university, rod strapped to the side of the motorcycle and salmon heads sticking out of the top of my fiberglass saddle bags.

By the way 40lb test is useless for salmon at Ten Mile Pont and most places. You can’t get the distance you need to get out and up against the current and drift down and into them. In those days most used large Daiwa 7000 spinning reels loaded with 15 lb test. Lots of lures lost on the rock shelf’s but with experience you could read the currents, count off seconds for sinking the lure and manage your retrieve rate so as not to get caught on the bottom and thereafter did not lose many lures. You could go out on big minus tides and retrieve some and you could buy them cheap off the divers who went down there all the time.

Once I had just cast out when the guy next to me had one on and there was no one else to net it for him so I stuck my rod in a crack in the rocks and ran down to net his fish while counting off my seconds and the voice in my head going, “come on come on get it in”. Netted it and threw the net and fish down on the rocks for him. Ran back to my rod and reeled like crazy sure I was going to get stuck on the bottom when bam the rod bends right over and I am stuck on the bottom. Now there are a few choice words as I am yanking on the rod trying to get it off the bottom when the salmon I actually hooked begins to run. Then it was his turn to net. Good times.

Good times for sure! Cant wait until I have good storys! lol

40 to heavy crap. I thought so by the end of the season also was going for lings. I cant rememeber why I went so heavy.I figured heavier test ment heavier lure with would fly further... Now I know thats not the case. Plus I would need it for the hogs I was going to pullin in hehehe There seem to be so many rod and reel and test combos one could break the bank just getting the right set ups for the right situations. I picked up a 13' spey rod going to throw a spinning reel on it. 15lb test seems to the ticket. Never fished with braid but it sounds like it might be good too.. ahh so many options

Beechy head, that reminds me of story a bud of mine told me a while back re:rock casting from the head..on that particular day he was tossing his fav lure .. he hit a teener ..then pounded something BIG ..an epic battle ensued without the help of some friendlier than I boaters fishing close by, this story may never be told.During the ensuing battle the nice fisherman ,noticing his predicament,offered to help land his fish.Without missing a beat,they positioned the boat close to the rocks & he gingerly climbed aboard.He continued the battle aboard the boat,the large spring lay tired near the boat,they moved in & netted the salmon.Jubilantly he scampered off the boat, clinging to the rocks with his new found friend in tow.
The story ends with the happy camper pondering his next move...how to pack the fish back to the parking spot at the head of the trail.He fashioned a large enough stick to slide thru the springs gill plates...rest assured the trip back was made easier knowing he had finished the day with a teener/TYEE.
Good luck! ..you just never know...

B careful out there at the head. I got there one day and everyone was mourning the loss of a fellow fisherman who was swept off the rocks and disappeared below the surface in less than 30 sec.

You do not want to get washed of the Rocks. Get a PFD.

At Ten Mile Point a couple of divers waited too long on the tide change and did not come up in close and hand over hand in on the rocks. They got carried away in the surface current right out into Baines Channel and had to be rescued by a boat. When it’s bad in Baines Channel, (riptides whirlpools) you do not want to be floating out there in a wet suit and an angler who fell in without a wetsuit and ended up there would just be dead.

At Rocky Point (Nanaimo – great salmon fishing spot) a women came down to fish with the guys and had a little girl with her. She did everything right, life jacket on the kid and a rope tied to it. Good thing because the little girl did fall in right In front of me. Cut herself up a little on the barnacles and screamed blue murder. Some places are not a good idea for kids. The City put in a post with a life ring.

Also at Rocky point I was nearly a candidate for the Darwin Awards myself. Decided to pack it in when a major storm blew in. Climbed back up the bank and watch it for while from the top. Awesome storm; wind, waves and lighting, lots of lighting. It finally dawned on me that I should not be standing on top of a cliff holding an extra long large aluminum fishing net.

Funny you should mention 10 mile because I was out there when 2 divers got caught in the tide. One guy made it to shore at 10 mile and one guy floated into Cadboro Bay where he was rescued. I grabbed a pole off a nearby house and got the first guy up on to the rocks. His wet suit was so shredded, I suspect the diver had to throw it away. If we were not able to get him in I doubt he would have lived because was totally exhausted fighting the current.

Back