Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Fished off of secratery towards otter this am.7-11 until wind came up . Landed 3 nice coho. approx 3 to 6 pounds. used small pink hoochy and coho killer. To bad it got too snarly for us ,would have liked to stay longer.....C.A.

You CAN have the productiveness of a dodger to attract fish to the gear and give the bait that extra action and also play the fish dodger free....Wayne Laughren developed the Super Release Dodger and they worked very well. I still have a bunch of his original non marketed version he made for his own personal fishing. They are 2 feet long and made with a heavier gauge brass which gives them a slower sweeping motion. I saved my last one before I lost it and made more for myself. There is a huge difference in how the fish fight when there is just you and a hook.

You CAN have the productiveness of a dodger to attract fish to the gear and give the bait that extra action and also play the fish dodger free....Wayne Laughren developed the Super Release Dodger and they worked very well. I still have a bunch of his original non marketed version he made for his own personal fishing. They are 2 feet long and made with a heavier gauge brass which gives them a slower sweeping motion. I saved my last one before I lost it and made more for myself. There is a huge difference in how the fish fight when there is just you and a hook.
yep...got a couple...tried them years ago...pain in the A_ _
there is a reason few if any use them.
Dummy flashers better, but still not as effective.
Want sport, go flasher less want best results, your stuck with flashers
that's the way I see it...for what it's worth.
sorry....off topic of Sooke fishing

yep...got a couple...tried them years ago...pain in the A_ _
there is a reason few if any use them.
Dummy flashers better, but still not as effective.
Want sport, go flasher less want best results, your stuck with flashers
that's the way I see it...for what it's worth.
sorry....off topic of Sooke fishing

There is also the "Farr Better" flasher which is the same size and shape as a regular flasher with a moveable pin that goes in one of three holes at the end to make it sweep fast, medium or slow. Have to make sure the pin is seated with correct degree of "tightness" then it pops very well when bait is hit and flasher hangs loose and "out of line". Not as good as pure hook only but a great compromise!

Karmi-Kazi
Thanks for the info
Stosh

Hey Stosh sorry saw your posts. KK was right anywhere around there. Just a little warning the easterly winds have been sucking here last few days. Sooke water conditions are very current dependent which means it doesn't matter if BWD say 10 knots its direction and with E and SE it can be crappy..Its been stacking up around 10 onwards due to the flood tide kicking in then you get some better water from late afternoon when current swings again right direction. Just something to be aware of especially coming out of pedder towards race passage. First light is better when current ebbing but not in mid afternoon... In the evening it should flatten out. Good Luck.

BTW the ebb currents for coho have been more productive they usually are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Fish!

Nice to hear you are enjoying the dummy. Have you had any large fish fool you by swimming right to the boat and then taking off? This is something that never happened with flasers inline but has happened atleast 50% of the time.

-KK

Ya, you gotta watch that.....it's like "damn, another shaker" then whoa! Hold on, the one from friday night went straight down, did a good run.

I still run inlines on "not my side" and the middle rigger but an inline will never see my side again

Yeah that's how it started on my boat until my old man got a few winter spring o n my side and he was hooked! we haven't ran inline in almost 2 years. Some say it lowers your success late season. I don't know about that. Got a nice spring on a cop car spoon and dummy today about 17 pounds. Got it Coho fishing and it came right at the boat same as the rest of the cohos and then the reel exploded and it smoked one of the best runs of the year making white water on the surface for hundreds of feet.

Got 1 spring and 3 coho all out at 550ft at 69 ft on rigger.

-KK

Yeah that's how it started on my boat until my old man got a few winter spring o n my side and he was hooked! we haven't ran inline in almost 2 year

Got 1 spring and 3 coho all out at 550ft at 69 ft on rigger.

-KK

KK, I flirted with dummy's last year but I ain't going back, and as the only lefty in my bunch with a lefty set-up I don't have to concern myself with other peeps taking my rod, although I can fish r/h no problem :)

Report:
Me and rockdog and our two boys went searching for white chins today, all we got for our troll in the slop Muir-sheringham was a sick kid. Ran back after a few fruitless hours to straight out of sooke for 'ho's for the last 1/2 hour. Missed one hit and the 9 year old landed one at 100' in 400'. Not a stellar fishing day but not horrible.....wishing we would have just coho targeted from first light, but the two boys were after trophy's......their decision at the crew meeting leaving the dock. No fish action pics,too rough, but I think rockdog got a pic of his partner watering the plants at the marina :)

Pm sent kk

Four in the boat today. 2 hatchery Coho, 1 wild Coho, and a nice big Spring. All on anchovy. We were out in about 500 ft of water off Beechy. Riggers down around 70 and 90 ft. Good day.

Got out today from 10-2 ........1 hatchery Coho and 2 wild ....55-65' down in 500' out from Church Rock and Becher Bay. Seemed like one fish every 1-1.5 hrs.....

Got out with both girls tonight (5&7) and fished for coho's from 5:30-7:00... they have not been on water much but tonight was too good not to try it out - we soon got into a double header and they landed them both!

Both on Coho killers... 45ft ad 65ft at 450+ ft of water....

Reel potential I think.... ;)

2014-09-06 19.21.53.jpg

SAM_0034.jpg

Interesting evening fishing till past sunset at Otter. It was a beautiful flat calm night compared to all that daytime south east wind rip slop everyone is sick of pounding. So to start with we get the gear down off Otter including my best MR3 (the one that never creeps even at light drag and down deep) on a Loomis Rod, when bang the Scotty Rod Holder breaks and sends it all to the bottom. What the hell, its been that kind of year and its only money right. One last chance, so we haul up the rigger from 108 feet and the line is still attached to the release clip and we are able to hand line everything back in. I guess that is a good reason for always putting the release clip in the hard position and burying the line to the back of yellow. Close call and one has to wonder why the most recent Scotty rod holder I bought (the long stainless tube type was the one to break right through the center of the ratchet base instead of the older type some of which are decades old. They do fit the short handle Loomis well though. Did manage a nice mid teen red Chinook with a touch of gold a ways off 2nd Rock on Chovie, down 62 feet. Then almost hit a deer on the way back to town – just one of those nights.

Rode the yellow plastic bucking bronco from 10:30-2:30 today between Otter and Muir. Finally gave up and headed in letting the gear trail in at 40ft down as I approached the beach landing. About 50 feet off the beach in 45 ft of water then boom. Thought I hit bottom but a big dark Chinook instead. He totally rope-a-doped me...came to the side all peaceful like, calmly resting there as I reached for the net then exploding and breaking off my line above the flasher:( If anyone catches a nice fish trailing a red Kitetail flasher...

Today my friend and I fished from 11 am to 3 pm, from possession Point to the island, caught one undersize spring on a cop car TKO Spoon on 60'. no keep fish. It was very windy and lot of choppy ! lot of weed.

we used Herring, Anchovy, green splatter hootchy, and 3 1/2" Kitchen Sink Spoon between 50' - 88'

Someone stolen my crab trap :mad:

Fished 10 till 2:30 today, couple hours at otter/muir with a small one lost near the boat in first 5 minutes then nothing at all , then back to secretary in 400' of water for the last hour or two. 99' on the rigger with coyote spoon landed two - 7 lb coho and 13 lb chinook.

Back