Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Out east tonight out on +500 feet of water 12 coho to the boat. All between 7-9lbs..kept two wild, 2 hatchery.... All shallow 75 feet and up..Even got some right at surface.. No springs but mainly due to little one not wanting to wait for them...Coho fishing was more fun. tonight...

Very encouraging to see so many around already. They just need to fatten up more...Stomachs were just stuffed with large 6 inch herring...

Nice to here the coho are coming in. My buddy got an 11lb yesterday... Not much hook to the nose yet.

Also nice to see the crowds gone too. Cheanuh was getting to be a gong show.

Spring, did you fish the whole afternoon, or just the evening bite out east?

Last edited by a moderator:
SV and I ran into each other at the ramp going out at 4ish and he was still fishing when I came in at 7:30.

I ended up with 8 Coho and one small spring released. Fish were mostly caught at 69 and 84 on the riggers. Coho killers and coyote cop car in 3.5" Same place as SV

-KK

Out in the kayak from 10:30-2:30 at Otter Point. Blank sounder screen at Otter for couple of passes in 50-90 ft of water so went further out to 350+ ft looking for a coho. Some huge (!) bait balls, one covered with about a hundred gulls but no bites. Tried anchovy in bloody nose and Sitka spoon, 40-65 ft down. Got a little breezy so gave up and headed in.

Then landed a 4lb wild coho about 80 feet from the beach in 40 ft of water at 30ft on rigger.

Today fished from 8:30am until 3:00pm with DaveS. Started at Possession and went with flood to the Trap. No hits. Tried fishing against current for a while but too difficult so pulled gear and headed out for Coho. Got a few on a spoon and an apex around 70-100’ in 450’ of water, right opposite Beecher Bay. Kept one unmarked each about 5lb and one clipped similar size. Released a few smallish ones. Bigwavedave had promised ESE 5K most of the day, but stronger gusts of at least 10K made it pretty choppy. After lunch pulled gear and pounded back to Possession area , where wind/waves appeared to be even stronger. Orca whale show right near Secretary, with several breach jumps. Never seen that before! Visitors on whale boats must have had quite the sight as we were quite far away by then. Shortly after whales went through the gap Dave had a pin popper and a strong running fish. After few heart pounding moments for me on net with fish “planking” on the rim of the net instead of going in, we finally hauled in a 26lb beauty. Largest fish to my boat to date and Dave’s personal best. Fish was a white. Nice day!;)

2014Septdave26lb.jpg

Had a day off so what to do oh i know lets go fishing... lol buddy and I went for a fun day got 4 nice springs nothing huge 12 to 18 lbs the normal size it seems this year but awesome fish and 3 coho and a sockeye one of the hos was 13 lbs now thats a nice ho...!!! got some fish for me.....2 of them were dark 2 were very fresh so it seems more new fish again been a weird year good one day not so much the next get out while you can...
Nice fish Dave S

Good luck Wolf

We were unable to fish the boat since Aug 11 because of main motor and boat fuel supply system problems and not all that happy about missing 3.5 weeks of what is normally the best Sooke Chinook fishing. With a much lighter wallet (doing our bit for the coastal economy) we got back fishing Wed. and yesterday. The Coho are everywhere, easy to catch and lots to the boat from 6 to 8.5lb. They are great fighters if you give them half a chance with a good reel with the drag turned down. Playing them with an Islander with the very smooth, low inertia clutch drag system seems to really free them up to run, dive and jump rather than just twisting around on the surface while you drag them in which tends to happen more with our Shimano’s. They will hit anything so if the freezer is low, it is time to get out there and have some fun with the large numbers of Coho and hopefully the 12 to 18lbers will show up soon. Lots of catch and release action for both Coho and smaller Chinook under 10lb but did keep some bigger Coho and an 12lb Chinook from down 94 feet in 120 on Anchovy out front off Sooke Inlet.

Is anyone targeting Sockeye and having much success finding them other than the odd one as incidental catch? I understand 97% of the Sockeye run went down the inside this year rather than past Sooke. 3% of millions is still a lot of Sockeye. Have people given up on them with so many Coho around?

Yep, it was another great day on Englishman's boat. I really enjoyed the coho action as well as the heavy pulls of that whitey. Just a couple things to add to Roland's report. The coho were feisty and the marked to unmarked ratio for us was confirmed 5-1. A couple more shook the hook before confirmation. We were only working the coho waters for about 1.5 hours so I'd say it was steady action. Avg size of 5 lbs (not weighed). Now regarding the chinook fishing. There was a lot of salad in the water and the currents weren't ideal so we really couldn't maximize our efforts. Half a pass at Secretary before we got pushed through the gap. So we rolled with the current up to the trap, where we tried to hold our ground. Wasn't working so well (anchovies were probably spinning at 200 rpm's) so we pulled the plug in search of coho. After our coho fix, we heading to Secretary to see if the current was chill. It was better. Wind....not so much. Fished in the bump and were rewarded with a great Orca show and then a heavy fish. The netting process of this good fish had me quite nervous. The net seemed to wrap around itself and really only offered a mesh hammock of sorts for this large fish. Good thing this fish was tired, otherwise it may have not had the same outcome. So fish in the boat is my new personal best. Weighed in at 26 lbs. Funny enough, my previous best was the last time I was out with Roland on his boat June 2013), and it was still the same teaser head and flasher as the previous lunker. Whoop whoop.

Good fish Dave S. The ratio was 50/50 when I was out on coho... Lots of hatchery and I think I could say its more than last year. I found same too with weeds..When I was out for coho and it would slow down it usually lines with weeds on them. Had to check them every 10 minutes or so...

These whites will be here for another 3 weeks or so I am sure will see more getting weighed in.

We were unable to fish the boat since Aug 11 because of main motor and boat fuel supply system problems and not all that happy about missing 3.5 weeks of what is normally the best Sooke Chinook fishing. With a much lighter wallet (doing our bit for the coastal economy) we got back fishing Wed. and yesterday. The Coho are everywhere, easy to catch and lots to the boat from 6 to 8.5lb. They are great fighters if you give them half a chance with a good reel with the drag turned down. Playing them with an Islander with the very smooth, low inertia clutch drag system seems to really free them up to run, dive and jump rather than just twisting around on the surface while you drag them in which tends to happen more with our Shimano’s. They will hit anything so if the freezer is low, it is time to get out there and have some fun with the large numbers of Coho and hopefully the 12 to 18lbers will show up soon. Lots of catch and release action for both Coho and smaller Chinook under 10lb but did keep some bigger Coho and an 12lb Chinook from down 94 feet in 120 on Anchovy out front off Sooke Inlet.

Is anyone targeting Sockeye and having much success finding them other than the odd one as incidental catch? I understand 97% of the Sockeye run went down the inside this year rather than past Sooke. 3% of millions is still a lot of Sockeye. Have people given up on them with so many Coho around?

Sockeye bailed on inside. Giving up not many a few here an there. Its pretty much done. Although, I did hear there was some in refrew a week ago that went by so never know...

Sounds like Roland and Dave had a good day, well done guy's!! There is fish out there, sure is not many big one's tho' that 27 Dave got is like a 37 this year!!! - We got a couple of small white springs, 8 & 10 lbs, both seemed to be turning dark, nice coho action, time to rig up the fly rods. woke up the other morning, the breeze was blowing in the open window, i said to myself, ''smells like Coho to me "

We picked up a nice mid 20's white off secretary last night also, didn't get a single 'ho though. 127 on the rigger in a couple hundred feet, working the reef. My go to homemade dummy and a black teaser head with gold scales. Sure is fun playing fish with no flasher, this year an inline flasher has not been used on my side and I'm never going back.....too fun playing a fish with no flasher, not to mention how fast it is to check bait

image.jpg

Nice Fish!

Nice to hear you are enjoying the dummy. Have you had any large fish fool you by swimming right to the boat and then taking off? This is something that never happened with flasers inline but has happened atleast 50% of the time.

-KK

We picked up a nice mid 20's white off secretary last night also, didn't get a single 'ho though. 127 on the rigger in a couple hundred feet, working the reef. My go to homemade dummy and a black teaser head with gold scales. Sure is fun playing fish with no flasher, this year an inline flasher has not been used on my side and I'm never going back.....too fun playing a fish with no flasher, not to mention how fast it is to check bait

View attachment 13892

do you guys think these coho and springs will still be around around the 20th? that's the next time we're gonna be able to get out :(

do you guys think these coho and springs will still be around around the 20th? that's the next time we're gonna be able to get out :(

Yes, there will be lots of coho in the water but spread out anywhere. lots of action. I have caught a decent coho in first week of October. so lots of time.

Springs are still around but very few, tapering off....some may be dark or bronze.

I've had a few springs come right to the boat fishing without a flasher.

It's kinda like oh I got a bite. Reel reel reel. Not much here must be a minnow... Next thing ya know KASPLOOOSH there's a 20 pounder leaping right behind the boat. Awesome!!!

Springs jump semi-often with no flasher and they are spectacular jumps. rarely happens with a flasher.

I've had lots of jumpers with flasher, sometimes foul hooked
other times not.
In my opinion, there is no comparison between playing ANY salmon with or without a flasher!!
I'll take no flasher anytime...problem is it is just not as productive MOST times!
Jerking on the flats is awesome when the fish are on the bite!!!
Usually in May and June, but not so much this.... the year of strange migration
we got a couple of nice springs off Muir in the high teens this morning then quit early because of the a dirty Easterly

Back