Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Could have been a limit day today for my 3 clients, but the fish won. Hit about a dozen springs mostly from just before the low slack and then through the flood up until when we quit around 3:30. 3 busted off, 2 spit hooks just outside net reach, 4 long line release a couple pin poppers and gone...oh and landed 1 about 13 pounds. Just one of those days when you try and laugh it off.

Geez man... Those days

Maybe do a post in the salt section and see if any one can recommend some good hooks or line? ;)

Or some new fishing partners!!! lol

Bagged a 24 and a 16 out west today. Bait and standard depths. No cohos, no sox - nothing else. Very quiet for this time of the year. No sunscreen needed for a change - felt kinda weird.

Picked up a 17 at Otter early this am, then nothing else. Wondering how others did, the fog made it awfully hard to see any action. I did see a huge amount of bait boiling just about everywhere from Otter to the harbour but not a sniff.
Had an unfortunate and weird one today: a rod popped without bouncing and we reeled in a drowned diving bird with the hook and anchovy in its beak. The bait was running at 90 feet - I didn't know they could go that deep.

Some fish around managed to find some today, been 1s and 2s last couple of days soft hits etc lost fish but hey thats fishing, thinking it will pick up soon enough with these new set of tides as long as the killer whales stay away. Heard tranisnats killed a humpback the other day off our waters hence all the boats..

Good luck Wolf

fished 7-2;30 this am ,fog very thick .fished possesion and sectratery area.using anchovie,pink sqirt and wunder bread spoon at verious depths....NOTHING not even a sniff. talked to one guy that did well at otter .. I guess thats fishingI

Fished 8:30am until 3:30pm today. Went straight out front into 450’ water looking for sockeye or maybe even a coho. Fished for over 2 hours out there with usual pink hootchies and got just one hit which spit the hook when it jumped. An interesting observation was the sounder showed a continuous series of fish echoes at 260-320’ for kilometers. Someone should figure out how to fish that deep - maybe the sockeye are all down there? 25lb cannon ball and a steel hawser perhaps?

Fog was also weird. Sometimes you could see 3 Km and sometimes only 30 metres. It was hot when the sun appeared…but I digress.

Came in to Otter and tried anchovies and spoons in tight with the usual boat “crowd” but nothing doing there for another 2 hours. Finally quit that place that never seems to produce for us and headed out dropping the glo spoon to 135 feet at the 150 contour. In about 230 feet of water got a big hit, felt a strong fish but it popped the hook. Dropped again and 5 minutes later hit a strong running fish and boated a very nice 15lb ‘der. That is the third time this summer the glo spoon fished 130’ deep or more in water 230-400’ deep has produced a decent chinook and saved an otherwise unproductive day. Got several more hits at 135’ depth and released several under sized chinook, kept a clipped coho and finished with a 5lb clipped chinook. Thank you America! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Well finished the last day off with a bang. 3 chinook for us today and one long line release. Banged one right off the hop at first light off of Otter again but after a nice long run it spit the line. Fished for a couple more hours with not a sniff. We headed offshore to the 500' mark and banged off 2 Coho right off the hop. Wild and a dandy clipped that hit the tub. Headed in and hit Shearingham for the tide change again and about 13:00 the games began, we boated 3 dandies in about 30 min. A 18, 21 & 24. So for the last day it was alright.

So that's it for me for another year, not sure where I will hit next year, maybe here maybe hit Ukee again, we will see.

So for 9 days on the water for my boat it's 12 chinook, 2 pinks and 3 Coho. Please keep in mind that it was not just me and the wife I had a niece with me for a day and my nephew was with me for 3 days as well.

Sooke is always fun I enjoy the challenge it presents me. Yes there are places with more fish, winter, Nootka, Ukee each present their own unique fishery but Sooke will test the best of anyone. Many of those places you drop a line in the water with a hap hazard attempt and you bang fish, not so in Sooke it makes you work for them. For those that can pay attention to detail and do their home work it will give you fish.

So long Sooke and thx again..

Today's catch.

imagejpg1_zps5a9bdd3b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well finished the last day off with a bang. 3 chinook for us today and one long line release. Banged one right off the hop at first light off of Otter again but after a nice long run it spit the line. Fished for a couple more hours with not a sniff. We headed offshore to the 500' mark and banged off 2 Coho right off the hop. Wild and a dandy clipped that hit the tub. Headed in and hit Shearingham for the tide change again and about 13:00 the games began, we boated 3 dandies in about 30 min. A 18, 21 & 24. So for the last day it was alright.

So that's it for me for another year, not sure where I will hit next year, maybe here maybe hit Ukee again, we will see.

So for 9 days on the water for my boat it's 12 chinook, 2 pinks and 3 Coho. Please keep in mind that it was not just me and the wife I had a niece with me for a day and my nephew was with me for 3 days as well.

Sooke is always fun I enjoy the challenge it presents me. Yes there are places with more fish, winter, Nootka, Ukee each present their own unique fishery but Sooke will test the best of anyone. Many of those places you drop a line in the water with a hap hazard attempt and you bang fish, not so in Sooke it makes you work for them. For those that can pay attention to detail and do their home work it will give you fish.

So long Sooke and thx again..

Today's catch.

imagejpg1_zps5a9bdd3b.jpg

Well said. Fished west this afternoon- 11-5. Good bite around 230. Missed a few and banged 3 nice high teens. 2 whites one red. One came in on sockeye gear. Foggy but calm. Feisty fish today for their size

Picked up a 17 at Otter early this am, then nothing else. Wondering how others did, the fog made it awfully hard to see any action. I did see a huge amount of bait boiling just about everywhere from Otter to the harbour but not a sniff.
Had an unfortunate and weird one today: a rod popped without bouncing and we reeled in a drowned diving bird with the hook and anchovy in its beak. The bait was running at 90 feet - I didn't know they could go that deep.

Wow, I caught a diving bird, aucklet I believe, last night. Never had that before. This one was at 40' so it came to the surface quick....but just barely, it was't in great shape.

yep the whites are on their way...buddy got a 28lb snow white last night ~ :)

Ahhh, well after a my first few shutouts (on springs) of the summer season we had some good fun near the slack tide at 11. Between beechie and trap in 300' of water we boated 3 springs , lost a few other baits, and let one little spring go grow up. It was a good day, brother in law, sister in law and wife all landed fish. Saw some really nice fish at the cleaning station...several mid 20's. It seems everyone got their fish later, so I'd suggest having a leisurely breakfast.

Ahhh, well after a my first few shutouts (on springs) of the summer season we had some good fun near the slack tide at 11. Between beechie and trap in 300' of water we boated 3 springs , lost a few other baits, and let one little spring go grow up. It was a good day, brother in law, sister in law and wife all landed fish. Saw some really nice fish at the cleaning station...several mid 20's. It seems everyone got their fish later, so I'd suggest having a leisurely breakfast.

Not sure where you found a slack at 11 but nice catch anyways, 777. We had one about 21 and a much smaller one just after 2 PM. Trap and Head.

Not sure where you found a slack at 11 but nice catch anyways, 777. We had one about 21 and a much smaller one just after 2 PM. Trap and Head.

Truth be told I wasn't paying attention to time - BWD predicted a low slack at Sooke at 11:14. I know when the water was at it's most calm we caught all our fish!

Finally, the fish Gods thru us a bone. A red, 17 lb beauty. Muir creek, on the flood this afternoon, 60 ft, in 80 ft of water. Purple onion flasher, bloody nose anchovy head. Hubby still has the bragging rights. I haven't caught a decent fish since the end of March........ good thing I love fishing! Xena

Did the Otter Point shuffle last night. 1 wild ho (sox gear) and 2 20ish springs (bait) released at the boat. Enough fog to start a war! Back at it again in the morning.

Back