Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Fished in the Bite Me Derby Saturday and Sunday, as well as the previous Monday and Friday from Church to Secretary and managed only one 11 pound spring for our effort which we caught Saturday in 300 feet of water. Spring salmon fishing the best in decades? If this is true as the papers have printed, I can't stomach to think about what a poor year would be like..... Good thing Nootka has a few fish around as that's where I'm headed soon.

Fished in the Bite Me Derby with old man

Saturday we worked otter and a bit at muir from dark till 11:30. Released one undersize spring and one strike. Was anywhere from 50 to 75. Didn't see anything caught. I then had to get dropped off to go to a wedding and dad went out and fished until 5PM at possession and secretary. No strikes and he didn't see any nets

Sunday we fished muir and went down deeper and picked up a 14lber at 81 feet and had a pin popper at 100 feet. Saw one other fish caught but most guys we talked to said they had none.

So we didn't get one to weigh in haha... oh well I was pretty stoked to get to bed after a big ripper of a wedding and 2 hours sleep!

What does seal taste like..?

I was thinking of switching gear and going for them as I lost count - around 100+ this weekend from trap to bed fords - lol.

Ill try to brighten up some of this gloom and doom. Been fishing west of Sooke lately.

Thursday evening 1 coho, 2 big springs to the boat and "released"
Saturday 1 25 lb white spring, and another pin popper "released". Too bad I wasn't in the derby. It sounds like a possible winner and guaranteed third for 5K!
Sunday only 2 hits all day, but both hatch coho in the box.

I have had worse trips!
20140816_095547.jpg

Ill try to brighten up some of this gloom and doom. Been fishing west of Sooke lately.

Thursday evening 1 coho, 2 big springs to the boat and "released"
Saturday 1 25 lb white spring, and another pin popper "released". Too bad I wasn't in the derby. It sounds like a possible winner and guaranteed third for 5K!
Sunday only 2 hits all day, but both hatch coho in the box.

I have had worse trips!
View attachment 13594

I'm just curious victoriaboater what do you mean by'' re....Cheers C.A.least'' ? do you mean they got off or you actually releast them.

I had plans to fish the entire week end. Ran across Thursday night to Pedder from Ferndale. Woke up early ready to head out and my motor wouldn't turn over. We messed around trying to diagnose the problem with the help of many, Kevin at Pedder Bay, Frank, and Johnny who as fate would have it owns my old boat. Johnny was able to get the motor started and informed us that we had a bad starter. We were not able to locate one so we beat on it Saturday morning and got her to start. We headed west fished hard all day for one fish. At 4:00 we decided to pack up and move from otter Pt. and you guessed it no start. We were able to get her going about 4:45 and decided to tuck tail and run for Fendale where we arrived without further problems.
Many thanks to all who helped us and for the texts and calls making sure we made it home ok. We only got one fish but we made some new friends and hope to see you all soon.

Managed a 20.5 pound spring and lost another on the surface just as the whales arrived. The group we seen were heading east hen heard there were another group at the island heading west. The group we seen turned back west at the light and we had whales with us all morning. They weren't in any hurry, they milled around us for over an hour. Maybe not enough energy from chasing so few fish....more energy going out then calories going in!

Yeah I heard..... We rounded the corner out of the spit and heard it on radio both sides whales at trap and then coming down from west. Just after that my main motor died and couldn't get it started, so trolled from trailer park down to harbour front pounded everywhere absolutely nothing... I don't know what is going on but I am hoping this slowness from mid July onwards in not a sign that we will have weak returns in river this year. This is actually why we need to be screaming at DFO as we have lost all our Frasier fish. I hoping Chris and SVIAC are doing that.

Anyhow hopefully be out soon just have to assess the damage today but if its 3 weeks wait to get it done likely wont be back on water until October so may be end of chinook season for me.:mad:

This is actually why we need to be screaming at DFO as we have lost all our Frasier fish. I hoping Chris and SVIAC are doing that.

Kind of ironic you'd suggest SVIAC get on DFO's case about poor returns to the Fraser when just two months ago everyone was singing their praise because SVIAC lobbied DFO to open us up to keep wild (Fraser) fish because they were plentiful.

My fingers are crossed that the majority of fish went inside this year after mid July - the sockeye sure suggest that happened.

Bad luck about your motor hopefully your back out in time for the last push.

Last edited by a moderator:
YES its slow but with the killer whales didnt help much , as for the above persons comments the fish 2 months ago are the "upper" fraser that have already come and gone we have several runs that pass thru our water from different water systems, there was more than double the amount taken before they could even reach us from a different sector.
I changes everyday out there its been a VERY spotty year this one and YES it can suck but we are so used to hot and heavy fishing ...it could turn on on any given day with the runs coming by im hoping they are just late ....

Ive been able to scratch a few each day yesterday was just 1 fish a white at 21 lbs but ill blame the whales for now ....LOL

Good luck wolf

Just a thought,, I do know that this year I noticed a lot of bait more than we have seen for a number of years out there, there was never a time when the screen wasn't full of bait and fish with them. Could one not think that they are being quite well fed and as such are just not that hungry or enticed to take a lure. I mean regardless of how well well we think we can run a lure none of us will ever match nature and those fish know the difference. I know I am scratching here but it could have some effect on the bite. I know the bites we did have sure seemed to be short,, it's like you had 30 min to get it done and then that was it,, I personally have never seen a bite so short. The bite was wild while it took place but awfully short. Combine the large amount of bait with a weaker run and well,, we see the results.

Just a thought..

I have 3 fishing days coming up. Gonna give her a go.
Can I ask please if anyone has caught anything going very deep?
Seems to be deep schools on the east side.........

Fished yesterday 7-2 from Aldridge to trap and back. One bite all day that produced a 10lber on bloody nose herring teaser. Was out further off the head and deep 120'. Lots of comments on the radio about skunkings and any fish caught were deep. Noticed last few fish I caught all had herring bait in stomachs.

Fished yesterday from 10:30 until 2:30 from Beechy Head to Trap Shack and back. Not a single bite. Depths of 70-110 on the rigger. Came in and the guy at Cheanuh said he saw only 4 fish on the table all day. Getting close to throwing in the towel for the season. 3 strikes and I'm out.

Managed a 20.5 pound spring and lost another on the surface just as the whales arrived. The group we seen were heading east hen heard there were another group at the island heading west. The group we seen turned back west at the light and we had whales with us all morning. They weren't in any hurry, they milled around us for over an hour. Maybe not enough energy from chasing so few fish....more energy going out then calories going in!

Supposedly they can stun the fish with their sonar so may not be much chasing needed ...... supposedly ? :)

There are fish to be had ad to do what my buddy said put the "work boots" on did old school tacts on a area and ill admit was lucky and got rewarded, but I worked hard for them. found them and kept on them all cookie cutter 16 to 18 lbs dont give up yet they are around and i think more are still coming , I know its frustrating...... i am there too but its fishing cant always get them.... like hunting ive gone manys days, weeks. months with out shooting and island buck .....

Good luck Wolf

Attachments

• 18747.jpg
    18747.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,339
Nice haul Roy,, some happy fisherman there.

fished 630-1200 today off of secretary and down to trap shack and out to 400ft. tried anchovies spoons and pink squirt..................and now for the grand total............we catch notting. zip. zerro. nada, oh maybe abit of a tan .. at least calm waters and sun and no fog ....maybe next time.....C.A.

Back