Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Today fished 450' - 600'; Bedfords - the head in search of socks,mixed bag of wild coho & socks. 80' - 90', green was the lucky charm,better in afternoon.

Been out for the last three days and as everyone else it's been a tough grind. Waiting on a couple fishing buddies to show up before I start messing with the sockeye setups. For now it's the wife and I for 4 days. We are having fun at it and it's a learning experience for my wife as she has never helped me run the boat before or net before but she is doing awesome. She gets pretty nervous out there when the boats start stacking up but she is getting used to it.

We are fishing everyday from 6 - 1. Day one we fished Possession with one Pink in the boat, yesterday we mainly fished Otter but ran to Sheringham for a couple hours and then back to Otter for the afternoon tide change. We picked up another Pink and about 11 we landed a dandy 25# that my girl was a pro netting for me. Lol she was so nervous getting the boat ready for the fish but she did an awesome job. Today we spent the morning until about 11 at Sheringham with 4 good hits and no sticks finally I had enough and tied up a couple teaser heads with trailer hooks and sent them down and soon after we boated an 8# chinook. At 11 we spooled up and hit Otter for the afternoon tide change. We found one nice hit and run there but had the long line release on it. Not a hog but maybe in the mid teens I would guess.

My old chartreuse teaser and chartreuse with silver flasher at 50' has been the hot hook again, my meat and potatoes I call it. Some action on Purple and Purple at 75' but the steady action is on the old staple.

We will keep at them for a few days yet hopefully they show up, still hoping with the bigger flood coming in a couple days it will bring in some fish with it. If not,, we will grind away and be thankfull for what we get and enjoy every morsel even that much more when we do sit down to eat through the next winter. Heck I'm out one the chuck,, I'm happy.

No fog at all this morning (at least after 5:45 when I launched) in the Possession/Secretary area.

Very slow this morning with a hatch coho and a few wild released...no springs. This afternoon opted for a sockeye trip and found 6 and a Hatch coho off the Island. Based on the past few afternoons fishing I think that was a good call.

Geared up for two days in Sooke this weekend - time to make the best of it and wear my name proud! Have a listen for my Dukes of Hazzard horn (yes, I installed one - 7 individual horns and a compressor) if I get a fish on. Got the dummies ready (not the fishing partners, the Sockeye gear) and hope I can get into a school!

Anybody who's been gettin' sox...I am reading that the afternoon seems decent (I'm going in the morning regardless though). Any particular depth/tideline/area working okay? Probably gonna launch outta Cheanuh and head out diagonally from the head to deeper water till I make contact.

We took our 8 year old nephew out on his first ever salmon fishing trip today. Started out off Secretary at 8am. Luke lost his first fish, about a 10 lb spring right at the boat. But he shook that off and then successfully landed 3 more small springs (released) and then a pink. Reeled up and headed to Muir to fish the slack. Hooked up a nice 14lb spring that Luke played all by himself (we had to hold the rod up for him but he did all of the reeling himself). He was so excited about the entire day and every fish, even the little ones. Having a HUGE fish (Luke's words) to take home to his mom for dinner was just a bonus. It was awesome to see how much fun he had.

Off secretary we were using coho killers, both chartreuse and purple worked well, between 80 and 90 feet. Luke's HUGE spring was on anchovy, bloody nose teaser and a Betsy flasher at 45 feet.

Decent day for me and momma today picked up 2 springs a 23 and a 15. Dropped my balls in the water just east of Sheringham and did the mother of all tacks went with the tide all the way just west of Jordan River, turned with the tide and came back all the way just off of Muir. Stayed in just off the ridge in about 120 - 180 feet. Picked up the 23 just west of Sheringham on the old meat and potatoes at 53 feet. Landed a few wild Coho and one just legal spring we let get bigger. Was dead on the way back only a 3 or 4 hits that didn't stick, even with trailers. Picked up just off Muir and hit Otter for the magis time before the tide change and banged the 15 just off the rocks in 65 feet of water on yes you guessed it,, the meat and potatoes at 50 feet. Picked up just before 2 as momma had enough and came in. So not a bad day for us,, we will just keep grinding away.

Oh yah,, momma landed her first spring today the 15,, she couldn't believe the power they have she was bagged after that, that's why we came in lol..

imagejpg2_zps194e41c2.jpg

imagejpg3_zps320fcf62.jpg

^ Nice work Walleyes!

No such luck for me today. In fact, I didn't even get a single hit...well, maybe one...I was trying to fix the CD player and when I turned around one rod was off the rigger.

I threw all the gear I had at 'em. I tried Secretary. I tried the Head. I tried out. I tried in. I engaged the submarine feature, and I still could not find anything. You'd think with the time of year and with sockeyes, cohos, and the odd pink around you'd at least get a shaker. Not today. I think it was "that day" for me.

Fog rolled in pretty thick from the West - lot's of boats out, and slightly sloppy depending where you were. For some reason, couldn't find any well-defined tide lines. I did see two fish being played, then again there was hundreds of boats.

Back at it tomorrow for another go! For better or for worse, moving to Alberta in September so will be one of my last trips this summer.

Was out yesterday the 8th...quite the grind. 3 hits before 11:30 (1 may have been decent) and only landed a small sockeye. Then at 11:30 at sheringham we got into a real screamer and landed it - 23. about 1:30, by then it was LUMPY, we almost packed it up but got a hit, so we waited. At 2 we landed a 16 pound spring, 2:30 another about 10, then 15min later a real beauty 8 pound sockeye. Lost another spring as well in there. Seemed between 2-3 at otter it picked up because we saw 2Reel land 1 or 2 as well (only other boat was a hourston like Bluewolfs). All fish but little sockeye between 60-80, bait. fished between otter and sheringham.

Quote from the Vancouver thread today:
"First time out and it was fun, 4 people on board and got our 16 fish in 5hrs. Didn't see many jumpers, and not the usual sockeye madness but it was not a disappointment! Fished near south arm... "

So would this indicate the entire massive run has gone on the inside?

SookesOfHazzard already posted my exact day…nothing to add.

Same for us fished 5:30 til 3. most of that in the trap but tried the head and then the homeward troll all the way to fraser. We never saw 1 net out all day and didnt even get a sniff. Brutal !!!

Fished with my brother and fishing buddy today out at sherringham to escape the masses. We got there well before six and picked up a super scrappy 11 pound spring...then we fished the hell out of that place...and couldn't scrape up much of anything else. Picked up the spring at 63 feet on a bloody nose with a gold Betsy. Managed to pull a wild coho, cutest little baby spring.

Nice day but still slow for us. Come on fish get a move on!

I fished bait and spoons at the trap all morning looking for springs but didn't get a sniff . So I moved out around secretary out to the 400' mark and put down some sockeye gear and managed to get a small coho, and two undersized springs . No keepers but better than no action .

Quote from the Vancouver thread today:
"First time out and it was fun, 4 people on board and got our 16 fish in 5hrs. Didn't see many jumpers, and not the usual sockeye madness but it was not a disappointment! Fished near south arm... "

So would this indicate the entire massive run has gone on the inside?

SookesOfHazzard already posted my exact day…nothing to add.

Just had a read through their thread - sounds like the Sox are there in some numbers! Just a wee bit jealous...

And ya, all signs point to this being an inside year for sure. I'm sure some Sox come around this way then maybe back up to the Fraser but it definitely doesn't seem like it!

Still a bit slow out there now managed to get 2 yesterday and had to work at it and was lucky ill admit double header ..of high teeners. still hearing guys going for soxs some people are finding them some not time will tell, maybe this week coming up more will move down lets hope so.
now wind which is VERY nice

Good luck Wolf

one mid-teen chinook off muir at 9 am yesterday on my brother's rod (his 5th chinook on 3 trips this year). snapped my fenwick hauling in kelp. worked muir to otter and then made a semi-blind attempt to find sockeye off secretary in the fog and lumpiness. not a hint. sub-optimal.

one mid-teen chinook off muir at 9 am yesterday on my brother's rod (his 5th chinook on 3 trips this year). snapped my fenwick hauling in kelp. worked muir to otter and then made a semi-blind attempt to find sockeye off secretary in the fog and lumpiness. not a hint. sub-optimal.
I like that quote.... "Sub optimal". From the reports I am reading from Sooke pretty much sums it up lately.

Out yesterday morning with a leisurely 8-fog pace. Bloody nose was the ticket today at 90 feet from the island down to the head. Lots of fish on the sounder and whale watchers on the surface. I only saw grey porpoise.

Fished off the island for a few hours in the aft yesterday, and managed a mid teen chinook on a party girl and a pink. After being skunked a few days it was a pleasent change for sure.20140809_145817.jpg

Back