Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Columbians don't transit JDF or at least in great numbers - can we finally put that theory to rest based on how crappy this year is?
definitely hasn't been gangbusters out on the banks either (the last week has apparently been terrible)...so something is up...warmer currents pushing the route? Algae that won't go away? Rotting farmed fish in Nootka? What is it? lol

Well I guess either the spring hitched a ride on a coke sub.

-KK

Hey not saying it doesn't happen, Andrew P has clearly shown it does. But I never believed there was this great run of columbians that came through JDF like guys like Charlie used to go on about.

With 1.6 million(Nearly 300% the forecasted amount from last year) springs headed for the Columbia, I'd only ask where are they?

I totally agree where are they? Even the beach in Renny sucks by the sounds of it. So they truly never made it here. Its pretty obvious.

Even if only 10% of them made it in to the strait you would think 10% of 1 600 000 is alot more then 10% of 300 000 fish. I would have expected more #'s to end up in the straight.

Im shocked at the lack of scientific data that you can find on the subject. Anyone have a source where you can actually read about tests that have been done or is that all locked up in the DFO safe in Ottawa?

KK

IMHO it is a combination of factors:

- warmer water temps this season on the west coast (great for tuna), makes the majority of fish go on the inside, not the outside of Van Is.
- According to DFO past creel data the average # of springs caught for this time of year for Campbell River is 2-2.5 k, the creel data says the have almost 8K at this time (good for ol' CR my home town)
- DFO just estimated 88% of the sockeye are going on the inside (again probably due to water temp.) Still if we get about ~20 million sox we will still get good fishing on the JDF, but probably not enough for a big commercial opening in the JDF (which is good for the sporties). DFO estimates about 65-85 thousand sox have gone up the Fraser so far.
- The big algal bloom on the west coast around Bamfield (due to warmer water) does not help as fish try to avoid this and will stay north until is dissipates.
- Lastly, the estimates for springs may have been a bit high in the first place as they are just estimates.

My guess is that the sox and the springs will come, perhaps not in as large numbers predicted and they will be 2-4 weeks later then normal, but only time will tell. Just my thoughts on it.

...perhaps you are referring to these ColOmbians;generally they can be found anywhere near a fiesta...:)
colombian_happines_quebonitacolombia_com.jpg

...we "used to" target the mythical chinook short stubbies;aka early Fraser River stubbies...;)

Back to a fishing report...

Fishing sucked today between 7-11 around Possesion and down towards beachy, barely a sniff. The seas were also sucky, at times kicking up to really sucky with gusts of super sucky-ness. Nice thing about today was the sun and lack of fog...would have gone well with fish...but again that did not happen.

Hey, maybe the spotty DFO science has to do with Harper getting rid of scientists...he feels if you don't make a report it is easier to ignore the facts.

Last edited by a moderator:
The currents out west are really strange. Full flood but a big ebb back eddy keeps setting up off Muir Creek and combined with the westerlies it makes for ugly seas. Fishing was better today as the whales stayed away. Sockeye are scarce the lack of jumpers is disappointing. Hopefully the guys on the inside are enjoying better fishing. Not going to help with repeat clientele here thou....

I am concerned lets put it that way... Very unusual for prime times to be this slow.... What concerns me more is that renfrew is following same path as well as Victoria..Lets hope they are just late.... Fishing east of island this week until she picks up again...

God even talked to few guys in alberni today...Some been out multiple times bamfield just dead slow.

Hey Roy you getting that stupid quarter out again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished all morning from the Head to the Trap. Lots of bait and no fish anywhere. I didn't see a single net out over 6 hours. Eel grass was thick.

Fished this morning 6:45 - 10 from the Bedfords to Church, hit a screamer off of Church on the first pass around 8am, made two good runs before we lost it, we didn't get to see it.. but it was a good fish. Released a pink about an hour later. We didn't see one net in the air the whole time we were out..
We were surprised to see about an 11 foot Zodiac with a 9.9, 2 adult men and two small kids fishing off of Church, the slosh and currents were kicking up pretty good the last time we saw them go past heading south towards race rocks.. I'm sure it was a character building morning for them...

Fished from 8 am to 3 pm today. Started out fishing the Trap Shack and Head area till the currents really picked up and we had enough of the lines getting mucked up from all the kelp and eel grass. Fought the currents again around Secretary and Possession with no one catching fish so threw on sockeye gear and trolled outward. At about 200' we got a small hatch coho then hit a school of coho again further out as we had a double header with one hatch and one wild. Another boat came by and they too got into fish on their way out. Had a real good hit and took line briefly then was gone. Winds picked up after 2pm so trolled in towards bluffs and picked up a chum just as we were bringing in our lines at 3 pm. The fish were caught on pink hootchies, cop car coho killer and bloddy nose teaser on various flashers. One last day tomorrow then home. Hopefully we can find some springs and/or sockeye tomorrow.

Fished 5:30-1 , church rock first thing as it wasn't socked in with fog , lost a screamer let 2 little ones go kept 1 sockeye. Move up to secretary about 10:30 released a couple wild coho and got another sockeye winds started to pick up, we gone

Fished 7am until 2pm today. Day did not start well as lost my watch overboard when the Velcro strap popped off the Bluffs. Over two hours in 90’-100’ of water with zero hits and then out looking for sockeye. Nothing doing there either. Came round on a big loop east with the flood and in 400’ of water off secretary got a hit on pink squirt at 58’ that turned into a long distance release. May have been a sockeye. Went along the Trap and then back out off Beachy, putting the lucky glo spoon on. Began getting coho hits in 360’ of water on spoon down at 140’. Did manage to get one clipped on pink hootchie at same depth. Right at end, we were distracted fiddling with VHF radio and turned around and rod was vertical and flasher and spoon were gone! Bad line? Big Chinook? Little coho that got (un)lucky? Who knows?? I do know I shall have to buy some more of those glo spoons as they are the only thing that is (sporadically) working for me right now….! LOL:)

Got into a nice school of sockeye today- 200-300ft. Up to 7lbs tubbed out in no time
Where were you? Did not see anyone catching anything today and all other reports posted today are like mine. Very few, if any, sockeye. You must have a magic boat! LOL:)

Back