Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

WE did good considering what everyone is so doom and gloom YES its slow but its fishing it seems its slow everywhere renny sooke Victoria we go fishing for the love of it I hope and the chance to get the monster!!!!!! AND yes its stressful if we dont get anything but its fishing not catching it will pick up (Im sure)

3 nice ones 27,26,21 lbers but took all day first one was the biggest at 27 lbs and on what Andrew calls the lemon lime spoon got 1 on it yesterday a 17 lber so im very happy with what its doing...Took out my old boss from when I was working in the prison system as a chef and his brother and nephew was a good time for sure....

Attachments

• 20140807_064624.jpg
    20140807_064624.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 543
  • 20140807_064628.jpg
    20140807_064628.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 543
Still slow out in Sooke for my boat for August...considering this was the year I was to be telling my grand kids about!

Fished from 6 - 1 today picked up a random little chum...never had one of those before. Picked up a little hatch coho that went back then a sockeye. Was running bait today fished otter then skipped over to sherringham around 10am. Also had a few others pinks....sockeyes that didn't make it in the boat...yah...long one releases. All in all we did pretty good considering I had a boat load of noobz today that had never fished salmon, never tenderly cupped a reel, never had me yell "tip up!" At them. Well done! More admiration for the pro guides too--so much easier to just bring them in yourself...then watch other people do what they do!

Cleared out when the wind started to pick up. Some of the people out there were starting to pick up sockeyes...one big guy I saw was waving a sock around and pointing at his eye...took me a bit to figure out the gist of his charade...thought he was threatening me.

on a sadder note oppppssss

Attachments

• 10154463_341906702652566_4253392555907859686_n.jpg
    10154463_341906702652566_4253392555907859686_n.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 543
  • 10368222_341906729319230_3362527589107642977_n.jpg
    10368222_341906729319230_3362527589107642977_n.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 542
That really sucks Roy. What the hell happened there. Would not wish than on anyone boat and equipment are toast right in prime time fishing season.

Was cleaning fish at my dock looked over and saw it list to the port side and down she went and NO i didn't take the pictures to offend anyone, sounds like a lack of bilge pump maintenance.
It was Eldons old boat...moored at Jocks dock

mmm...Vincent not going to be happy kind of lame to get it pumped out and deal with at the dock....I figured that was from there seen it before...Actually you raise good point I am going to get my backup bilge installed so have two. We haven't had much rain must of had a leak and pump didn't click on so it just filled... Man not fun..

Last edited by a moderator:
3 nice ones 27,26,21 lbers but took all day first one was the biggest at 27 lbs and on what Andrew calls the lemon lime spoon....

Due to issues regarding supply and demand the Andrew P lemon like spoon is now $50.00

Great work wolf I saw you on the hunt today. The leader of the pack...

2 springs this morning, lost another and a runt sockeye as well. There must be Sockeye out there some where as I chatted with a Sooke band member cleaning 3 coolers full of sockeye at our dock that were taken at Renfrew by a net boat. Sad thing was he had hours of work filleting these fish to give to the local band members...but the fish were not iced and were baking in the sun waiting to be cleaned and cut up. I told him the band should invest in a large tote and have ice on hand the days they have fish to deal with. I went back to my boat and couldn't stand the thought of those prime fish turning to mush as they sat there. Took a bucket over and filled the coolers full of sea water and said to him this will keep them better until you get to them. That made me feel a bit better.

Chased sockeye today. Landed 3 of 5 plus a nice 15 pound spring. All off Secretary in 450 feet of water at 70 to 90 feet on the downrigger.

Due to issues regarding supply and demand the Andrew P lemon like spoon is now $50.00

Great work wolf I saw you on the hunt today. The leader of the pack...

Sure...supply and demand with colored reflective tape $50 don't think so... Glad I got a bunch of them/tested they sure have done well. Different day different colors..

Breaking the dry spell...

Fished 7:30-2 today, mostly at Sherringham on a buddy's boat.

Between 7:30 and 11, we had one long release on a small coho.
At about 11, fast action for 20 minutes. Lost 2 springs, one hit and run,
and one screamer that ran and ran, and then when it slowed and turned,
the line went limp--sawed the leader. That was an adrenaline rush, but would loved a closer look---like how it would have looked with its tail hanging out of the fish bag..!
Promptly a fat 7 lb sockeye and then a 4 lb sockeye. All action close to shore 180 ft with 84 ft on the rigger on anchovies. Spent another hour with no action, so headed out into the Straight and landed a sockeye on an anchovy and lost a sockeye on a pink squirt.

Tried Otter briefly on the way in with no luck.

0/2 on Springs, 3/4 on Sockeye

Great day of fishing after targeting Spring and getting skunked a couple times in the last week. That's fishin' though!

lemon lime spoon

WE did good considering what everyone is so doom and gloom YES its slow but its fishing it seems its slow everywhere renny sooke Victoria we go fishing for the love of it I hope and the chance to get the monster!!!!!! AND yes its stressful if we dont get anything but its fishing not catching it will pick up (Im sure)

3 nice ones 27,26,21 lbers but took all day first one was the biggest at 27 lbs and on what Andrew calls the lemon lime spoon got 1 on it yesterday a 17 lber so im very happy with what its doing...Took out my old boss from when I was working in the prison system as a chef and his brother and nephew was a good time for sure....

Roy,
Did you run that needlefish spoon behind a flasher? If so how long of a leader? What lb test?
I'm headed for Port Renfrew today and have some taped up the same as yours and want to give them a whirl.

Out to Possession Pt area between 6 and noon. Skunked as usual, becoming quite Zen about it and just enjoying these mornings on the water! Lots of shrugs all around from the small group out there today...saw no nets.

Tried tight to kelp and out as deep as 160ft, rigger from 40-80 ft. Bloody nose teaser and Sitka spoon.

Lots of fish on sounder for a change though...just not biting!

Off Secretary this morning. Took the 400 foot line and my buddy caught and released a wild coho, about 7 lbs, a pink and a sockeye in the tub, all around 65 feet on a pink squirt. Three other hits, all before 9:30. I was skunked on bait and spoons. Pairs of sealions and grey whales in the area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit of a grind today. Fished Muir to pt no pt. one 8-10lb hatch spring first thing then a couple nice socks a bit later also 8-10 lbs and a final third small sockeye. Missed a few fish but nothing that seemed like a summer spring. Where did they go?!

YES it was a bit of a dry spell for us as well had 3 on lost one by the boat id say maybe 15 lbs short bites... iim very confused as to why?? TOMORROW is a different day sounded like it was slow everywhere . ill call it a get even day against fisherman LOL.

As for the spoon im running a 4 ft leader behind a flasher nothing to fancy seems to be working great.

Good luck Wolf

We didn't get anything again until around noon then the bite turned on just like past few days. Trolled from Secretary up to the bluffs from 150'-400' of water. Kept changing up gear but didn't seem to matter till the bite hit then they hit everything. Our best lure today for sockeye was the Silver Betsy with the Sitka spoon on a 3' leader at 100'. Silver flasher with bloody nose teaser at 100' was getting into wild and hatch coho. The stacked rod wasn't getting anything until we moved it up to 80'. Two double headers in the early couple hrs this afternoon. Fishing seems to be improving with each passing day for sockeye but haven't found springs in days. After two limit days last week. Hard to leave tomorrow and go back home to reality.

Fished pedder bay 12 to 430p. One wild coho on bait and one small spring on white green glo spoon both at 320p. Saw two hatchery coho at the dock.

Back