Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Went out 9:30am till 1:00pm looking for the last of the coho. Foggy when we left the harbour and it only lifted a little out there. Steady persistent East wind put up a 3-4 foot chop which made steering and bite watching very difficult. Consequently we did not find any coho despite going out to 600 feet of water and back a couple of times. Fished 60-95 feet with hootchies, spoons and anchovies.

Finally on the second troll back in to shore near noon we got two hits at 92 feet in 110 feet of water. First was a little 4lb Chinook that went back and second was a 9lb Chinook that went into the box and saved us from a skunking. Mint tulip hootch was the only bite generating lure.

As we got our hits a school of porpoises were playing around our boat. Perhaps they and the chinook we chasing the same bait, although we saw nothing on the sounder and the boxed fish turned out to be empty?

Next trip in December for the winter Chinook!

Definately slowed down today, fished noon - 5:30 from Church to Beechy Head and in the bay. Not a coho to be seen, had 2 feeder chinook on around Church, lost them both beside the boat and let one barely legal go. They're fiesty little buggers, full of energy. Hit only bait from 90-140'. No signs of the whales today. maybe they moved on with the coho.

You mean <<<< 600 right??...

Little one always eats the big one dude.... grade 4 math..
Smiley_Tiny_Drinking_Coffee.gif

I should know.. I helped on some grade 4 math earlier :D

Hali day for me tomorrow. Anyone lucky this week for hali around from Sooke to Race/Pedder/Albert Head?

Out yesterday and brought in a 9.5 lbs wild. And today We ended up with 2 wild coho (9 and 8 lbs), 2 hatchery coho (10 and 6 lbs), and a little spring. As well as seeing 7 humpback whales. All were at 450 ft of water. With the rigs down between 50 an 80 ft. We were using a mixture of hoochies and coho killers. Trolling from secretary to the bluffs. Today was beautiful out there, calm seas, no fog, and fairly warm. GREAT DAY!!!

Went out solo from 11:30 to 1:30 straight out of the harbour. Put the gear down in about 300 feet of water got both lines down then looked forward and did not realize there was a giant rock in the middle of the straits:). It turned out to be a couple of whales, the show was awesome. They stayed there all afternoon. Had 7 coho to the boat all were 10 plus lbs, kept the first one and it was 12 lbs. Did not get any hatchery. Went in a little closer and picked up a small winter spring about 5 lbs, released that looked way too small after all those nice coho. It seems to be picking up again out there. All were caught with plastic.

That sounds good, Misty--we're out tomorrow for the last trip of the year before we pull the boat.
T2

It's a wrap for us. Beauty day,flat calm but only 1 wild to show for fishing from 8-11. Seemed a slower than last weekend.
T2

Good fish man... What kinda depth?

Headed out tomorrow and heard they were shallow last week..

Thanks, Good to know. Guys were doing pretty good last weekend (and the days preceding) under 100

coho

fished from 12-5pm in 4to5 hundred ft. off of the bluffs . managed 2 wild about 8pds. each and 2 marked 6&8 pds. 3 on green & white hoochy 1 on anchovie beauty day , tee shirt weather cheers c.a.

Fished 9-12, Trailerpark to harbourmouth, picked up two wilds, 6.5 & 8 lbs. One on glow anchovy, one on white hootchie. In 300ft of water, 60 &80 ft on the rigger.
Beauty day on the water. Groups of sealions, looking fat and happy. One humpback, a couple of eagles, and one cheeky seal at the hotel ramp that got within three feet of me looking to steal my catch as I cleaned them, boy did I jump back once I saw him! Xena

Back