Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

There was two 12 lb. coho that took first and second place in the Sooke coho derby. Lots of fish out there, but no teenagers. Nice day out there for sure, we weighed in a 9.9 and a 9.4, released quite a few and did pick up a couple of smaller hatch. Lot's of kids in the derby and i think they all won a prize, which was very cool to see those smile's on there face's. Good day for sure!!

Good job J!
bth_cheers.gif

Yup my 3 year old helped crank in a 15 lb spring this year using a level wind with the rod in the holder (inspeed by wicked tuna). Those rods are ideal for kids.

Went out late today, wife doesn't get up early... Fished from 11 am till 2 pm at the Bedfords at 450 to 500 ft picked up 3feeder springs about 5 lbs each and 2 wild coho 15 and 12 lbs all on green spatterback hochies at 100 to 120 ft. Released many wild coho, did not see one hatch. Great killer whale show in at 300 ft at the end of the day. Whale tour boats still show no respect staying right on top of them. Noticed the all fish caught had numerous large bait from 4 to 6 inch in stomachs. Picked up 3 nice crab at Esq Lagoon on the way in. Great day out there.

Straight out from sooke yesterday from 1-4. Bonked 2 wilds and 5 clipped. Pretty good action all over. Most amazing humpback show I have seen to date. I will have to post some pics gf took. Had some porpoises playing around too! Was seriously an amazing day on the water :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Great fishing early until about 11am this morning. Lots of wild fish but nothing big. All 7-10lb
Kept 4 wild and 1 hatch. Released and lost a ton.

Including one fish still connected to the rod!
So if any one catches a coho out there trailing a rod and islander MR2, my father in law would love to get his reel back.

Tips

Tough luck Tips. I have lanyards on all my rods clipped via carabinas to rings on the boat. I know if I don't do that exactly the same thing will happen to me at my age!!:eek:

any reports out there for today? May give it a go tomorrow if all the stars and planets align.

Went out today with sammyslabber. Out from 11-3. Straight out from Beecher in anywhere from 200-550'. Most action between in tight and 1st tide line. Lots of debris in the water but that seemed to be where we found them. Mostly deep. 90-110. Spoons did nothing for us. Bait, squirts and hootchies. Army truck and glow green rubber. No hatchery for us. Kept 2 wild and a feeder spring.

any reports out there for today? May give it a go tomorrow if all the stars and planets align.

Fished in 500 ft of water straight out from Secretary from 8:00 till noon. Kept one hatchery and two wilds, largest one 10 lbs. Lots of action on army truck teaser head, and white hootchie. Incredible October day on the water.

Slower for us today out from the Head as deep as 550. We only managed 2 coho and quit by 11:30 when the easterly picked up.
T2

Interesting day on the water - launched the boat from EA, got about a km out heading towards Race Rocks when my wife and I picked up a distress call....boat capsized, two people in the water near Esquimalt Lagoon. So we headed right over there! Got there at approximately the same time as one of the whale watching vessels, larger boat. We found three people in the water next to a overturned canoe about 1/2 mile from shore, two younger gentlemen and one older gentleman, they'd been in the water for 15 minutes. Quickly got them onboard and gave them what warm clothes we had, including our own. Ran them and their canoe into shore where rescue crews (fire and ambulance) were waiting.

Now, on to fishing. We fished from Race Rock to Beecher Bay in 400 to 500 feet of water, picked up some decent size coho (10lbs) but it was definitely slow out there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done Falcon--we heard the call but were too far away to help. Good for you!
T2

feeling a bit better then...I thought it was going to be gangbusters out there - out at 9 and in first 5 minutes, pulled in a 7lb wild straight out from Becher, but then the chop got nasty for the tinny and it was a battle fighting the elements some. Lots of shakers along the way, then hit a big one at 53' that had its way with me for a while before it shook the hook...biggest I've caught is 15, and this slammed it hard and it was running hard, so likely rivelled that. After that, went dead for me, tried 40' to 120' and packed it in at noon. Both were on white glow flasher/white glow coyote - seems to have been most reliable for me this year. No luck on hootchies regular/supertackle.

Interesting day on the water - launched the boat from EA, got about a km out heading towards Race Rocks when my wife and I picked up a distress call....boat capsized, two people in the water near Esquimalt Lagoon. So we headed right over there! Got there at approximately the same time as one of the whale watching vessels, larger boat. We found three people in the water next to a overturned canoe about 1/2 mile from shore, two younger gentlemen and one older gentlemen, they'd been in the water for 15 minutes. Quickly got them onboard and gave them what warm clothes we had, including our own. Ran them and their canoe into shore where rescue crews (fire and ambulance) were waiting.

Now, on to fishing. We fished from Race Rock to Beecher Bay in 400 to 500 feet of water, picked up so decent size coho (10lbs) but it was definitely slow out there!
Good job,falcon!! Way to be "johnny on the spot." 15 mins. is a long time to be in that cold water. Might have been
a lot worse if they'd been in it much longer!

We were out from 11-230 in-between church rock and rack rocks and only managed to get 2 wild and one hatchery cohos in the boat. We lost three at the surface by the boat... Lots of little guys about a foot long. Is that what everyone is referring to shakers or feeders?? They all hit different lures, one on a pink hootchie, pink and a white coho killer, and two on anchovies.

I was out today at first light, what a beautiful time of day! Headed straight out of Beecher to our 550' deep area where we did alright on Saturday, but were not able to find as many fish today as we did then. Caught one decent feeder and one wild coho, released a number of shakers. Fished 7-10, with various different lures/hoochies in play.

Yes Cowpasta, I believe small fish (which are mostly young Chinook, I think) is what everyone refers to as shakers - they shake the line and rod a little, but won't release the clip and sometimes you don't even know they're there. Feeders, however, can be larger and are the Chinook that remain in the area through the winter. Anyone else may correct or add to my understanding on those references.

Thanks Adler. They were unreal today, I am really new to the game out there and it was tough to tell if it was the chop or the or shakers on the line. We must have pulled up 10 or so of them.

Back